+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why do I suck at tanking?

Why do I suck at tanking?

Hi all, brand new to tanking and attempting it on a dk. I am only lvl 78 at the moment, but should be hitting 80 some time in the next week. I have tanked instances all the way through Northrend and found that I wasn't great when I first started. I have found UH tanking best for trash and adds, but I cannot keep boss aggro all the way through, which a friend told me is a big fail in a dungeon. I liked frost, but i could not kite anythingas again my aggro was all over the place. Is it just me, or my talents?

Frost tank (currently) The World of Warcraft Armory

DnD>IT>PS>Pest>FSdump
    and the same rotation without DnD using HB whenever it's ready

Unholy tank Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

DnD>PS>IT>BS>SS>DC dump
    repeat without DnD

Health 1.8k unbuffed
    Armour 1.3k Frost pres
    Dodge 15%
    Parry 10%
    Def 350

If you could...log out in your tanking gear please.

Aggro, I am going to have to assume that there is a typo in your health and armor numbers, but we will ignore this for the moment since your question seems more to deal with the skill aspect of tanking than the gear. So in order to help you more, be specific, what part of the process is really losing you? Are you losing secondary mobs from the initial pull? Just single target threat on the boss? There are a lot of reasons that you could be having trouble, I would just like to identify the exact spot. Also, you might want to try getting a couple buddies together and running an instance like UK or nexus. Sure, its way below your level, but the experience of tanking mobs that are less of a threat can be invaluable and a real confidence builder. Most importantly, don't give up. Tanking can be one of the most thankless jobs in wow, but when you get in the groove, and your group is tearing through an instance like a cheerleaders prom dress, it can also be extremely rewarding.
    Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.
    Sun Tzu

I'm sorry, this is embarassing, but due to my computer breaking, I am using a notebook which I do not have wow on. The health and armour were obviously bad estimations, sorry. The problem mainly is losing secondary mobs from initail pull mainly. Any advice?

As a warrior tank I may not be able to relate completely, but I always watch aggro on every mob in a pull, just in case of loss of threat... so here are a couple of suggestions that may help you as a DK tank and are universal in nature:

1. First, mark the mobs for kill order. If your dps is focused on the same mob as you are, then you are much less likely to have one pulled off of you that is not being targeted.

2. Tab target through mobs initially on a pull and do whatever you do to create threat on each one. For a warrior this is SS or HS or whatever isn't on CD at the time... but it helps to make certain that no mobs are starting to lose interest in me and wandering off to kill my healer or dps'er.

3. Get an addon called Omen. It will show your aggro on all the mobs as you tab around to see who is building threat and close to tearing a mob off you... Allows you to react appropriately to reestablish aggro or increase the chance that they will continue to pound on you. Very helpful.

Other than that, stay with it. Tanking is not easy and takes loads of practice to get good. You are the focal point for a group so the pressure is always on. But above all, ask questions, tell your party members you are willing to accept any and all feedback.

Good luck, you are in the right place!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks mate, I never tab every mob and try and create threat, I usually count on Pest/HB for that. Maybe that's where I'm going wrong..? I will take into account all said and practise.

Pestilence is more a tool for Unholy and blood. Frost has HB in its arsenal. Use pestilence if you want to spread blood plague, as a glyphed HB will only spreads Frost Fever. However, some frost tanks are happy with one disease rotations.

For a multimob pull, Death and Decay and then HB if you need snap aggro. After that, keep up the aoe threat with HB at every opportunity, leaving Death and Decay out of the rotation. If you still can't keep up threat, then either your DPS needs training or you need better gear or both.

Incidnetally, if you want to try Unholy, they
    DnD->IT->PS->Pestilence->DnD->Scourge Strike->Pestilence, and if something is down start popping corpse explosions. The key is that Scourge Strike is your single target big hitter. Failing to smack the boss with SS as much as possible is why you probably had single target problems as an unholy DK. Between Runestrikes and SS I can't see anybody having single target issues as an unholy, provided you keep up the diseases on all your targets.

Thanks, I think I will try frost again. I'll practice and if I still can't do it, I'll ask again here

For an easy start to AOE tanking I would strongly recommend the Howling Blast glyph, as was mentioned above. Makes your life a lot easier.

The AOE rotation is extremely simple:

On the pull - D&D, HB, Blood Boil
    Thereafter - HB, BB, BB, Oblit on primary target

Rune strike primary target where applicable, and feel free to use frost strike to fill in rune blackouts.

Bashef, there are some glyphs which are not an option to skip. Extra targets on CoH/WG, Holy Light for holy paladins, Divine Plea for tankadins, etc. and HB is under that category for Frost DK tanks.

I noticed that when you specified your rotations, you were not using Rune Strike. Rune Strike is a massive threat builder, and you should be using it whenever it's up. You can also macro your abilities to Rune Strike to make it a lot easier to ensure it's always being used, something like:

#showtooltip ABILITYNAME
    /cast !Rune Strike
    /cast ABILITYNAME

Best advice I can give you: Use Rune Strike.
    And to always know that you can actualy use it, get Power Auras Classic addon. It's perfect! I', using it for almost 2 years now and It made "tracking cooldowns"/abilities/buffs/debuffs/"prettty damn much everything" .... lame easy

Bashef, there are some glyphs which are not an option to skip. Extra targets on CoH/WG, Holy Light for holy paladins, Divine Plea for tankadins, etc. and HB is under that category for Frost DK tanks.
    I don't think I was saying he shouldn't get it... are you worried my recommendation wasn't strong enough? Anyway for what it's worth, I wouldn't be without the HB glyph for my frost spec for heroics, because it's fast easy aggro; I actually prefer blood for boss tanking. If however I wanted to single target tank as frost, I could totally defend dropping the glpyh; over the course of a fight it doesn't really buy you anything, what it does do is allow you to spread your primary disease onto all targets in range while hitting them with a sizeable burst of damage. Could you manage without that? Sure, that's how blood AOE tanks anyway. If I were customising a boss tanking spec as frost I would probably drop it, but since we're talking about aoe tanking in a five man presumably, it does make life a lot easier. Which I think is what I said...

+ Reply to Thread