+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Unhittable overcap

Unhittable overcap

Couldnt find it anywhere unless i misread some topics but here goes.

Unhittable meaning that dodge+parry+block+defence together makes a 102.4% chance to not be hit or at least block the hit.

What happens when you go over that number.

Does one of the things gets pushed off the table or does the dice get bigger.

Im not really into theorycrafting yet but i have been reading the forums alot lately and cant seem to find a anwser to it.

yeah, that would push hit off the table. It doesn't mean you wouldn't take damage. It would just mean that everything would be mitigated by block if you didn't dodge/parry it. In The Burning Crusade you had to hit it in some form or another or bosses would crush you and it was as important as being crit immune.

Unhittable means your dodge + parry + block + miss is at least 102.4%. This means the worst that can happen is that you block the hit.

If you continue to stack avoidance or block rating above this number, blocks start to get pushed off the table in the same way hit does until you reach unhittable.

thank you bashef that is what i wanted to know so as soon as i reach 102.4 its better to either excange block for dodge and parry or instead of taking block chance take block value to keep as close to 102.4 and minimize all incoming dmg

In that case you can look as block value as mitigation and dodge/block/miss as avoidance. Would you rather reduce the damage you take when you take it or reduce the chance you take damage? Clearly thats a bigger question that is situational.

As I was reminded the other day the old 102.4% and block is a thing we used to do for naxx.

If you are going into ulduar we ignore it because blocking 2K off a 25-30K hit in 25 man just doesn't seem like much.

Even the new AT instances alot of the damage is magic, dots and poison and block is of little value.

Max out your EH, stack what avoidance you can and rely on your healers to cover the rest.
    ** Remember Warcraft players fail in directions you never thought possible.

More importantly for warriors, do non-crit blocks get pushed first, and crit blocks stay on the table last? Or is it a second roll after a block to find out if it's critical?

Im in a guild that only does 10 mans atm.
    And i came from a guild that did 25 man so my gear at some points is better then what im facing.
    My hp is 32k unbuffed and for naxx i never see a problem there.
    But what i ment was that if i cant get dodge and parry up higher increasing my block means that i cant be hit by a boss melee hit without at least reducing its dmg with 3k which i have atm but if i put the overcap in more block value i can make that one higher and not get hit at all by most trash in naxx and the bosses that hit harder then 3k i try to absorb most i dont wanna stack full avoidance since im trying to get the guild to progress and if i never get hit its too big of a change for the healers when i suddenly get 10k+ hits.

Quote Originally Posted by generalanders View Post
    More importantly for warriors, do non-crit blocks get pushed first, and crit blocks stay on the table last? Or is it a second roll after a block to find out if it's critical?
    Last I heard crit blocks are rolled separately after the hit is decided to be blocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
    Last I heard crit blocks are rolled separately after the hit is decided to be blocked.
    That's too bad.

In that case you can look as block value as mitigation and dodge/block/miss as avoidance. Would you rather reduce the damage you take when you take it or reduce the chance you take damage? Clearly thats a bigger question that is situational.
    This isn't quite right, or at least the thinking is off somewhat. If the combat table is full of miss + dodge + parry + block in all cases, it is unquestionably better to have the largest part possible filled with the first three. If maintaining unhittable is your goal, then upgrades come acquiring avoidance at the expense of block rating. There is absolutely no benefit to switching the other way, since a blocked hit means you take damage, and avoided hit you don't. More often though, the choice is whether to switch x% block for y% avoidance, where x > y (this often means that hit creeps back onto the table).

Which leads neatly on to this:

But what i ment was that if i cant get dodge and parry up higher increasing my block means that i cant be hit by a boss melee hit without at least reducing its dmg with 3k which i have atm but if i put the overcap in more block value i can make that one higher and not get hit at all by most trash in naxx and the bosses that hit harder then 3k i try to absorb most i dont wanna stack full avoidance since im trying to get the guild to progress and if i never get hit its too big of a change for the healers when i suddenly get 10k+ hits.
    Block capping yourself and then stacking block value is a legitimate way to reduce damage in Naxx, there's no question about it. It was fairly efficient before 3.2 - with the doubling of block value on all items it's clearly better now.

Where this logic falls apart is when you hit Ulduar, especially hard modes. In that case an unblocked hit might be 25k, and a blocked one 23k - healers won't notice the difference. At this point, you stack stamina to be able to take more hits, armour to reduce the size of each and every (physical) hit that connects by a known percentage, and avoidance to increase the proportion of those massive hits that never land. Block value and block rating are a distant last, to the extent that most tanks will openly sneer at gear with block stats on.

Quote Originally Posted by bashef View Post
    This isn't quite right, or at least the thinking is off somewhat. If the combat table is full of miss + dodge + parry + block in all cases, it is unquestionably better to have the largest part possible filled with the first three. If maintaining unhittable is your goal, then upgrades come acquiring avoidance at the expense of block rating. There is absolutely no benefit to switching the other way, since a blocked hit means you take damage, and avoided hit you don't. More often though, the choice is whether to switch x% block for y% avoidance, where x > y (this often means that hit creeps back onto the table).

Which leads neatly on to this:

Block capping yourself and then stacking block value is a legitimate way to reduce damage in Naxx, there's no question about it. It was fairly efficient before 3.2 - with the doubling of block value on all items it's clearly better now.

Where this logic falls apart is when you hit Ulduar, especially hard modes. In that case an unblocked hit might be 25k, and a blocked one 23k - healers won't notice the difference. At this point, you stack stamina to be able to take more hits, armour to reduce the size of each and every (physical) hit that connects by a known percentage, and avoidance to increase the proportion of those massive hits that never land. Block value and block rating are a distant last, to the extent that most tanks will openly sneer at gear with block stats on.
    With hits draining 2/3 of a tank's hp, more armor and stamina won't make a difference for quite a while. Generally then avoidance just trumps it.

+ Reply to Thread