+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pally Tanking Guide?

Pally Tanking Guide?

Hey everyone.

I have a guildie that really wants to start tanking main spec for our 2nd team ICC10 runs, but his gearscore is high enough that he's facerolled thru the regular heroics, and when we got to HHoR (he has a 5150 gs tank set just from offspec item drops in ICC) we wiped...over...and over...and over...enough so we went through 3 healers (and then I got out my DK and finished the instance.)

He was having issues with rotations, priority powers lists, his spec, gemming/chanting...so I got him in vent and tried explaining LOS pulls and aoe aggro and kill priority, marking mobs & the other basics of tanking and his answer was "I didn't need any of that for any of the other heroics, I've been doing them fine for a week without any problems".

I explained that because of his gear he can suck and faceroll through those without problems, but even for experienced tanks the first few times through HHoR were rough, even for tanks clearing ToC25 and ICC content.

SO I told him to go to TS and EJ and there's no prot pally guide...none at all. No discussion, no breakdown of specs or the ins & outs of spreadsheets and what's better...I'm sure it's because pally's just faceroll through it all, (yes that was a shot) and don't need the explanation, but it would be cool to see someone take on a pally tank project at TS so I can send him here and he can learn from the experts. I can tell him tanking basics, but I don't know powers, rotations, specs or gearing for pally's. I play a mage dps and a DK tank..

Help would be sweet.

Thanks in advance!

Cry Havoc! And let slip the Ghosts of War..

There are a few sites that come to mind www.maintankadin.com and www.paladiinshamaladin.com . The talent specs there might be a tad dated, but all in all they have some good advice.

H HoR is just stupid hard for a 5 man, because people don't know the mechanics of LoS or know how to CC anymore. "What part of stay in the corner do you NOT understand...."

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    H HoR is just stupid hard for a 5 man, because people don't know the mechanics of LoS or know how to CC anymore. "What part of stay in the corner do you NOT understand...."
    I wouldn't say stupidly hard, more like just not stupidly easy.

Also, here's a link to Maintankadin:
    http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/guides

The most aspect of tanking in my experience is..... well, experience. Practice. There's a lot of little nuances to tanking which you won't find in any guide either, you can only learn them by just getting in there and tanking again and again. I would think Goros' friend is one of those very misinformed players who think that tanking is just putting on the right gear with a cookie-cutter spec and just doing it. There are tanks of all classes which think like this, though pallies tend to get away with it a bit more. Which means you're only delaying the inevitable and when you hit an instance that requires you to not be an idiot, things come crashing down hard.

H HoR is most certainly one of those instances.

So I would guess your friend probably needs practice more than anything, and a little guidance wouldn't hurt either.

As audacious as this might sound.... tell him to assemble a blue tank set. No epic gear, all blues. Or only a handful of epics at best (low-ish level ones too, iLevel 200-213). Get him to tank a few normal instances and heroics in that gear, without the support of his guild either. Straight up random PuGs. The main idea is to learn how to tank without getting over-reliant on his gear, and tanking for PuGs is to have him place more responsibility on himself rather than depending on people he knows. Tanking for idiots isn't the most fun experience out there, but there's no better training in my opinion. Doing so without using any form of crutch (gear, friends) is even better for you.

Experience is invaluable as a tank, even moreso than the gear. Ideally, anyone who wants to tank should start at level 20 with the Deadmines, Wailing Caverns and Shadowfang Keep. They should be tanking as they level up. After hitting level 80, they should be tanking to gear up as well. This is a bit of some old-school thinking (.... maybe), but there is a very good reason. Tanking isn't something you can learn in a day nor from reading a textbook.

You can learn about it from reading, but the only way you learn how it works is to just do it.
    He who isn't afraid to stand by his ideals...
    Isn't afraid to stand alone.

Elitiest Jerks DOES have a pally tanking guide. It's labled The Protection Paladan Field Manual and it covers everthing you could possibly need to know about pally tanking.

Quote Originally Posted by Loremaster Roht View Post
    The most aspect of tanking in my experience is..... well, experience.
    Experience is the key. Another point I'd like to add, that helped for me alot when first starting out is watching other tanks. My first three 80s, before my paladin, was all dps, I never tanked a day in my life. I even leveled my paladin as ret and geared his initial tank set as ret spec by rolling for off-spec.

I didn't have guildies to teach me how to tank, I watched others, I paid attention to pulls, to marking, where to stand in certain situations. This was knowledge that you can't pick up from reading text on a website.

I constantly watched Ciderhelm's original videos on pulling techniques and strats. It goes a long way learning from the already experienced.

Actually i'm having similar problems starting out my newly dinged pally alt. The sites you have mentioned do have guides but they're very inadequate. Similar stuff with healing setups too.

I've still not managed to figure out how to have enough mana. I've asked around other palatanks and i've been following their advice but i still go oom 3 rotations in if i ever use consecrate.
    Similar stuff with my healing offspec, everybody says judge wisdom but that's a damn hard thing to do until you run across the correct macro for it.

Sadly, paladin knowledge is too spread out to be able to jump in quick. Yes you can grab the two button macro setup & roll your face through heroics but if you're into really learning the class, there's a huge gap where the information is buried under a ton of rubble.

Tankadin mana problem check list.

Are you using Blessing of Sanctuary?
    Does Divine Plea have 100% uptime?
    Are you judging wisdom in your rotation instead of light?

If you do all three of those and still have mana problems you have a couple more options.

Drop consecration from your rotation. (Tankadins still have sick aoe threat without).
    Spec into 2/2 spiritual attunement. (Most tankadins only spec 1/2).

Barring that you dont simply outgear the intstance and take no damage, if so drop a few pieces of tank gear without going below defense cap so you are more squishy, you should have no mana problems following these rules.

If you are still having problems with mana after following the above then pull more mobs at once ( providing you can keep them in control).

Some things that might help are some good addons and UI setup. Tidy Plates/Threat Plates is an extremely nice addon for watching aoe threat, though it shouldn't be needed for a pally tank it might help a beginner. When I did the faceroll heroics on my pally I just clicked my bars but as I got into the ICC heroics I switched over to keybinds so I had more mobility and an easier time picking up mobs. There are some things you just can't learn from a guide such as reflexes and reacting to that mob that just aggroed some idiot dps or perhaps a fresh mob that's going after your healer. Just curious but what exactly was the issue when you did HoR? Sounds like he was just too hard to heal and was dying? Or was the group wiping because of aggro issues?

I played WOW for 4 years as a rogue, before switching to a paladin tank. It's a learning experience, for anyone changing classes.

The biggest problem anyone will have, is they may not understand all the game features and mechanics and the difference from one class to another. As a rogue what are the key things you have to know? Stay behind your target, don't pull threat.

As a tank, what do you have to know, does the mobs cleave, cast randomly/periodically, immune to what, resistant to what, does it split damage amongst players with its attacks, Line of sight, don't let mobs get behind you, etc etc. It's a lot to take in. Some people don't have the mentality for it, others just don't think about those sort of things till you tell them.

If he's not willing to read, take criticism, come prepared, and practice...then you don't want him as your tank for ICC. If he is willing, give him time, he may learn a lot and become a great tank.

+ Reply to Thread