+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cant Tank for the life of me 3.2 DK

Cant Tank for the life of me 3.2 DK

Hi Guys

since this patch I'm having a hard time of it, and these has probably been said a thousand times. I really struggle tanking even UK Heroic, I dont think my gear is bad at all, or the talent specs.

I supposed to be taking the guild in to Uldaur 10 today, but really dont think I should as I will probably let them down on XT and be one hitted.

Before the patch I was unholy tank with pretty much the same gear, with out the conquest items., and coudl tank with out issues all the way up to hodir.

could you kind guys and girls have a look at my spec, talents etc, and give me a few pointers on how best i can hold dam agro, and survive a few hits.

The World of Warcraft Armory

The best way I tried to hold initialy agro on mobs, TOC normal for an example, is dark command 1 mob, then howling blast to get frost fever up, then drop a blood boil, this seems to keep them on me. But as soon as i get in to normal rotation, thats it, mobs get away, so end up doing the blast, boil again.

hope some one can help, if it means respecing then im up for trying this

regards

jon

Your gear looks fine(although I'm not a fan of your dodge gem in your belt, but that's just personal preference. I would rather have the extra stam), besides the SBR on the shoulders.

The only thing I would change personally is to take the 2 points from Epidemic and put them in Bladed Armor. The more AP, the more threat. When you are constantly hitting your target with howling blast, Frost Fever will be applied over and over. No need for the extra 6 seconds.

Another thought.

Rather than taunting and doing HB / BB. I would drop DnD / Deathgrip one into it / IT / Pest / BB / HB.

With my rotation, I proc my Sigil (increased def rating, no reason NOT to have this up), spread my diseases and when I go to use HB the damage will be increases because of Frost Fever on all of the targets. I only use this rotaion on the start of an AoE pull.

Keep in mind single target is entirely different as I use OBL over HB and only use HB when Rime procs. Also, I will actually put both diseases up on single-targets(bosses) to give my OBL its full potential.

Just my thoughts.
    GL in Uld tonight!

Hi thanks I give it a go, with regards to shoulder hope to replace them soon.

thanks

jon

ah didnt realise i had a dodge gem in the belt, i swap that out for a 51 stam later today,

Gear looks pretty nice, rotation looks ok (I use single disease personally, but whatever floats your boat. More damage on Obliterates is never bad.) but your talents have one thing I would change. I'd remove Scent of Blood, and finish off Bladed Armor as well as picking up Deathchill. I admit, you may know something I don't, especially since you're moving into Ulduar and I'm just getting into Naxx as MT this weekend, but the build is really the only thing that stood out to me, in that one specific area. Hope Ulduar went great!
    ...Thoughts of a philosophical Death Knight...
    If death is the inevitable end of life, is life the inevitable end of undeath?

why armor to cloak why 10 stats to chest why shield block on shoulders why def sigil

I suppose I'll be the yang to Beni's yin. No offense, bud, but if you're gonna tear a guy down, you gotta build him back up. Armor to cloak: If you're gonna replace it, go with agility for the extra armor AND avoidance. 10stats: Super Health. 275 HP is better than about 120. Shield Block: I'm surprised I didn't notice that, but I've still got the tank ring from H UK, which gives shield block as well. I'll take my def rate where I can get it, hehe. However, Heroic Trial of the Champion (the new 5man at Argent Grounds) drops some nice 213 tank shoulders that are DK compatible. Sigil: Either of the two Emblem of Conquest Sigils would be a great pickup. 136 Dodge rating proc'd by rune strike OR 113 bonus base damage to Frost Strike. Avoidance or threat, based on your most emergent need. Omen should decide this one for ya, and with HB glyphed you shouldn't even be using Icy Touch anyway other than to proc the trink. IMO, the idea of rune strikes procing rune strikes is truly brilliant.
    ...Thoughts of a philosophical Death Knight...
    If death is the inevitable end of life, is life the inevitable end of undeath?

Hey,

I have no idea why you have so much trouble holding agro. Here is my armory link:
    The World of Warcraft Armory
    and I tend to do heroic in sprint mode - UK hc for example in about 15 minutes (Some of the fastest runs on my server - people I pug with are always amazed that it can be done so fast).

Drop Hungering Cold - it's useless talent. It's not wrking on bosses and on heroics AoE still breaks in the next second after it's cast. For the rotation. The thing that works for me:
    1 mob: IT, PS, BS, BS -> OB till the end with Pestilience to keep the desieses up.
    2+ mobs: D'n'D -> Global CD + 1 sec -> HB -> Global Cooldown -> BB -> another HB after about 1 - 2 sec. Now you should prolly only dps skull with HB whenever it's off CD. no mobs should run away from you.

Oh, don't you never, never open with Dark Command. If you open with it you have 8 sec of only Death Grip as a taunt. Say hello to your Blood Boil button and use it a lot in multi mob situations, as it's perfect thing to keep mobs on you.

Additional tip - get rid of any Scrolling Text Mod. Why you might ask? Well, Blizzard default SCT diplays damage over nameplates, that is awesome to see whether a mob was actualy hit with your initial Hungering Cold, or if a runner was hit with Blood Boil which is enough in 60%+ situations to get him back to you and Frost Strike him to glue (you don't waste Dark Command).

Hi guys

thanks for you replys, and advice, before 3.2 I was unholy tank and had no issues with tanking up to hodir.

Gear wise, you take what you can get at the time, i dont play 24/7 like some people and can only get what i can get.

I will take your adive on board and adjust a few things. Im having no issues now with threat, I have slightly change the way i play due to not being a frost tank before.

Also i make sure switch between presences before engaging, as i think there is a possible bug still with frost presence for some people, I have notice this a few times ove rthe last few days of playing

+ Reply to Thread