+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kologarn tanking

Kologarn tanking

I mt'd kolo last night for our 10 man and the healers said I was getting hit way too hard for my gear and they couldn't keep me up at all.

I think it's a healing problem not a tank problem personally since people in T6 were tanking it way.

The World of Warcraft Armory

With your gear, I think it shouldn't be your fault. I've noticed while tanking 10m a few times that the debuff has become laughable. I've been tanking right through it.

It may also be a lack of nature resist that is bringing raid wide damage to you, or a lack of proper cooldown use.

And as I've had to tell people for a while, it's not really about the gear, to an extent. My suggestion is that you try it again, and if you are still having bad luck, isolate the issue.

Logs?

As a tank I would recommend that you keep your own logs of encounters. This will really help you in the long run analyze yourself and who is healing you. This way your are better able to observe what kind and how much damage you are taking.

WoW Meter Online - Combatlog Replay is a very nice website for doing this.

Wrong forum.

Armory Links and Individual inspections of gear belong in the HALP! Forum.

Moved.

Please take a moment to re-read the forum posting rules.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

I also had problems mt kolo. I watched the debuffs and never had more than one stack on me at any time. Most of the damage i recieved is from melee. It is puzzling, i opened a ticket about the problem and got little to no help from blizz due to the fact that it was several days after the fact by the time i got a response at all. But. after seeing this post i think there may be more to it than just fail tanking. I have had no issues
    with any other bosses in 10 or 25 Uldaur so their may be something too this.

Also, i know my healers well and it was a guild run so to say it is a healing problem.....no, that aint it.
    Last edited by rindar; 08-24-2009 at 02:30 AM. Reason: adding comment

Always carry around Indestructible Potions with you - drink one as you run in, before you enter combat and then another one 2 minutes later when it drops off (since the first was taken before combat you're not restricted by the "one pot per fight" rule). The extra 3k Armor will make you a lot less squishy during this encounter and will allow you to ride through the Crunch Armor debuff a bit easier. Your healers will thank you. Also consider using The Black Heart if you have it available for similar reasons.

This isn't an immediate answer to the question, though it may be related. You should pick up 5/5 Deflection and 3/3 Imp Thunderclap. The former is definitely not optional, the second will mean you take roughly 10% less melee damage. Keep your demo shout and thunderclap up on Kologarn at all times. It really does make a great deal of difference.
    Fayre - Soldiers of Azeroth, Aggramar(EU)
    http://www.soldiersofazeroth.net/
    We are recruiting! See here for more details.

M/T Kologarn

The indestructable pot isn't a bad idea, yet as you can see
    (The World of Warcraft Armory) my armor should be more that enough.
    This has happend to me two times as well so i dont think it's a fluke
    or just bad rotation. After a couple of raid wipes "due to M/T going down"
    I changed spec to fury to let someone else tank him. It went much smoother and although the tank that replaced me is a
    fine tank, his gear wasn't near mine....but he was a pally. enough said
    He also didnt take near the damage. I'm not here to blame or point fingers, but i am interested if anyone else (warriors) has ran into this problem.

Also like to thank you Kaylla and Mert for your advice, Im sure i kept up my shiled block but not sure i kept up my thunderclap. May be a defanate help, tend to think
    of thunderclap as a aoe threat maker instead of a 10% reduction in damage taken.

also distance is a factor I noticed. If you stand to far away from him BAM 1 shot randomness. Just make sure you don't do what I did the first time and try and get so close you run off the ledge :P

But yeah it hels it you get right up in his belly fat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler View Post
    I'm on a shark

Quote Originally Posted by Gramaton View Post
    also distance is a factor I noticed. If you stand to far away from him BAM 1 shot randomness. Just make sure you don't do what I did the first time and try and get so close you run off the ledge :P

thats the debuff given for being out of melle range when starting the fight or taunting him in the fight.

that could be your issue as it does alot of damidge

but for all i know tht could have been nerfed kolo is a faceroll these days

Unfortunately your armory currently shows you in dps gear, so I can't comment on your tanking gear.

I'd definately pick up 5/5 Deflection. And make sure that you're keeping up your debuffs. TC/Demo will both help reduce the amount of incoming damage. Also don't be afraid to blow your CDs while the Crunch Armor debuff is up. First time hit Shield Wall then pop Last Stand/Enr Regen on the 2nd time to help out the healers a bit.

Depending on raid make up you could even potentially have Hand of Sacrifice or Guardian Spirit cast on you.

Intelligent use of cooldowns really makes this fight much much easier for your healers. As Vissara pointed out you are in DPS gear so I don't know what trinkets you have but the combination of Shield Wall, Last Stand/enraged regen, Heart of Iron use, Monarch Crab use, Indestrictible pot really make this fight a joke.

Also make sure that Thunderclap / Demo Shout / Sunder are up at all times and you should have no problems if you use efficient agressive cooldowns.

Quote Originally Posted by Noep View Post
    thats the debuff given for being out of melle range when starting the fight or taunting him in the fight.

that could be your issue as it does alot of damidge

but for all i know tht could have been nerfed kolo is a faceroll these days
    You mean this? Petrifying Breath - Spell - World of Warcraft

Could be possible if one of your range DPS happens to pull aggro and becomes to main target. Since your range DPS is not in melee range, he will start casting Petrifying Breath until his main target is back in melee range. By the time you taunt it back (assuming that you don't get owned by the breath) you'll have Brittle Skin - Spell - World of Warcraft, so you'll take 20% additional damage.

Again, I'm just assuming things here. We'll need a log of the fight to really see what happened.

+ Reply to Thread