+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Automatic heal priority targeting macros

Automatic heal priority targeting macros

I have been trying to refine my healing macros to be able to use them as quickly and efficiently as possible. Generally, my hotkeys are designed around tank healing while my Grid is designed around raid healing, but I don't want to confine myself too much.

Here's what I have at the moment:

#showtooltip
    /cast [nomod, target=focus, help][nomod, target=focustarget, help][nomod, target=mouseover, exists][nomod] Renew;
    /cast [mod:alt, target=focus, help][mod:alt, target=focustarget, help][mod:alt, target=mouseover, exists][] Power Word: Shield;

This will attempt to cast heals in the following order:

1. My focus - generally my tank
    2. My focus's target - this comes in handy on fights where the boss switches tanks regularly
    3. Whoever I'm pointing at
    4. My target
    5. Me, with auto-self-target turned on

Does anyone else try to fine tune auto-targeting like this? How do you approach it?

Does anyone know if/how I can abbreviate any of the keywords so I can have a little more breathing room character-wise?

Thanks
    Last edited by Anadine; 08-13-2009 at 02:42 AM.

Holy shit. I just press the buttons. Reckon I still have a bit to climb.

I admit I don't use a focus frame, mainly because I don't like needing modifiers for my spells to determine whether to go onto the focus or who I'm pointing at. In the braintime I needed to decide that I could also move the cursor to click on the other person in Grid.

If you rely heavily on keyboard keys to trigger your heals, and you happen to be mostly MT-healing, it sounds solid though.
    SQUEAK.
    -- (The Death of Rats, Terry Pratchett, Soul Music)

Every healer I know uses grid for any task, ive main tank healed with grid no problem on both paladin and priest. Mouse over macros and or clique are what you should look at, focus frame is better for using on bosses in my opinion. More to the point you can easily mouse over a focus anyway.

That said are you playing holy or disc because pw:shield isn't used by holy priests and renew isn't used by disc priests.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicki View Post
    Every healer I know uses grid for any task, ive main tank healed with grid no problem on both paladin and priest. Mouse over macros and or clique are what you should look at, focus frame is better for using on bosses in my opinion. More to the point you can easily mouse over a focus anyway.

That said are you playing holy or disc because pw:shield isn't used by holy priests and renew isn't used by disc priests.
    Let him use renew if he wants to. It's a nice spell :P.

Quote Originally Posted by Petninja View Post
    Let him use renew if he wants to. It's a nice spell :P.
    Its pretty much a waste for disc

Q. Why don't discipline priests place alot of value in renew?

A. You *can* cast renew. It is not BAD to cast renew, it's more a question of 'when'. As far as spell priority, many things fall ahead of renew simply because they benefit from our talents, where renew does not.

Renew :

* Cannot crit. Will not proc DA, nor will it proc inspiration
    * Will not add a stack of Grace

Essentially, casting renew is not wrong, but it's better for our spec to cast PWS, Pennance, Prayer of Mending, or in some situations, even Flash Heal FIRST, except in situations where you are adding a hot simply to pad the tank.
    Those reasons make it much more effective not to include it in our spell useage.

The 2 biggest disc points argued are flash heal vs greater heal and renew vs not renew...

Renew is a GCD cast and isn't paticularly synergistic with the disc spec a few ticks of renew may up your healing output but will definately increase your mana useage. In short its probably better to throw a shield on someone taking damage than to keep a renew on a tank.

Gheal vs flash is really a case of necessity, ive had to use gheal 3 times in 1 fight, I probably didn't need to though. In reality the divine aegis absorb from both heals is roughly the same and the healing per mana is the same.

My main healer is Anadine, my tree . My priest is still just 43 or so. On Ana, I have Regrowth and Nourish bound on one button, Rejuv and Lifebloom on another, and Wild Growth and Tranq bound to a third. I have all my defensive spells and my push-to-talk button bound in a circle around my three main heals. During a fight, I never have to move my keyboard hand, so I don't ever have to look down. The four main heals and all my other helpful spells (decurse, innervate, etc) bound to mouse buttons with Clique.

I'm usually on raid heals, and I do 98% of my healing with Grid+Clique. But I like to have these macros set up so I can watch the mt out of the corner of my eye and throw heals on him without having to break my train of thought. My brain has compartmentalized itself: keypresses=keeping my tank and myself alive, mousebuttons=keeping everyone else alive.

I'm writing my priest's macro's to immitate that structure so I won't have to overhaul my setup when I hit 80. They evolve as she learns new spells and her spec becomes more specifc.
    Last edited by Anadine; 08-15-2009 at 03:53 PM.

For decursing, I use clique and shift/alt right click for Dispel Magic and abolish disease, I'm sure I could just make a macros and bind to shift left click and alt right click and get more functionality. The rest of my spell macros are setup with the following target priority - Mouse Over, target of target (if target is hostile), target, focus, self . I use Grid, I prefer mousing over the frame to selecting and clearing targets. I rarely have a target set, so my focus usually gets the heals that I don't mouse over, such as when I'm on the move.

I use Healbot, which isn't as good as Grid but it works.

I generally don't target things either the boss or the tank, because of I cast CoH/PoH/WG/<insert AoE heal>, the tank is usually so far away from others that the heal is wasted. With nobody targeted and self-target cast on, the AoE heal hits all the ranged who are with me. If you are saying that the melee needs healing, then I counter "You should have packed a chain heal happy shaman with you"

Renew is situational. When I played disc, I still kept on using renew mostly out of habit of playing a resto Druid and being holy at heart. However, in some situations where everybody is taking light but constant aoe damage, keeping up renews (even as disc) keeps the raid topped up nicely. Speaking as a pally tank, being shielded is not always fun, I need the healing for Spirtual Attunement. Sometimes Divine Plea alone is not enough mana, especially since such a boss tends to be magical and isn't swinging away at you often enough to get very many dodge/block/parrys to trigger BoSanct. So remember folks, if you have a pally tank, please let him get smacked around so that he gets mana, and that includes renew over PW:S, even as Disc.

i don't think you have had any luck so far Anadine ? " it has sort of turned into this is what i use thread" i hope you can find more info i will hunt around the web see if i can help.

Quote Originally Posted by holyjebus View Post
    i don't think you have had any luck so far Anadine ? " it has sort of turned into this is what i use thread" i hope you can find more info i will hunt around the web see if i can help.

Thanks. The only abbreviation I know of is "mod" for "modifier". I suppose I could just trial and error a few easily guessable ones. I always assumed Blizz published some kind of man-page-esque list of macro language rules, but I haven't been able to find it.

This seems like overcomplicating things but maybe that's just me... I like targetting manually, it's the least room for error and I can't say it causes noticeable delay.

Hi there, Would a new one like me be welcome here?
    Thanks so much in deed.
    Thank you, this is good news for other visitors

+ Reply to Thread