+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Threat Issues

Threat Issues

Hello all,

First here is my Dk's armory The World of Warcraft Armory

TO start with, this DK is my alt tank which I primarily use to help guild/guildees run stuff like daily heroic and occasional VoA's and Ony's if my main warrior tank is locked out of those instances, hence the lack of gear. Anyways to answer my questions please just consider that I mainly do heroics.

I have been blood DK tank for a while and I never had any threat issues in past, but lately I have been having some serious threat issues specially in heroics. If I group with a decently geared warlock it has almost impossible to keep aggro off them. Considering I do run into a lot of trigger happy DPS but its totally unacceptable that I loose aggro after the boss is half his health.

This is sort off my rotation but it changes a lot depending on situation.

Single Target: IT - PS - HS - HS - DS - (DC if I think I dont need RP soon) - HS x 6 Spam repeat.

Aoe: DND - IT - PS - Pest - DS - (DC if I think I dont need RP soon) - BB spam, keep diseases up rotate.

Thus I was thinking of going to frost for more snap threat and more general threat.

I was reading the forums and apparently this glyph and setup is recomended,

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deat...y,wMae3-,10505

Can confirm of the above is a good build for heroics or should I go for a different build If I majorly do heroics and not many raids?

Is Glyph of Unbreakable Armor worth taking?

Why No Improved Icy Talons?

Also can someone shed some light on rotations? 1 disease(FF) or 2 Diseases? When to use Deathchill etc etc?

Oh last but not the least, 2h or DW? I always thought 2H was the way to go?

Thanks for the help

bump, HALP !!

I don't see anything in the spec you posted that would cause serious threat issues. Some people prefer putting 2 points in Epidemic (unholy) so you don't have to reapply diseases as often. Since you have Chill of the Grave, you can safely take 2 points out of Scent of Blood for Epidemic, but meh.

You could change the frost strike glyph to rune strike, which would probably help single-target threat significantly. Speaking of which, do you trigger rune strike manually or do you have it macroed to your other abilities? If you feel you may be missing opportunities to use RS because you are manually triggering it, then give macroing it a try.

You mentioned warlocks specifically; destro locks have very very crappy aggro reduction talents (10%). If a geared destro lock doesn't make judicious use of Soul Shatter, and start out slow at the start, they'll pull, and they'll die, and it'll be their fault.

As frost, you should be using Frost Strike instead of Death Coil as your RP dump, though.

If you can get some decent enough 1H DPS weapons, and still stay defense capped for whatever level of content you are doing (535 for heroics, 540 for raids), then you should see an increase in threat on single targets when you DW, provided that you respec into the two DW frost talents, of course.

Oh as for icy talons: it's basically a DPS talent (and you can even argue that talent isn't necessary for DPS DK's). For a tank, the points are better spent elsewhere.

The rotation I linked first is what I use as blood spec now and I am trying to go frost as it has more snap aggro and other dk's on my server have told me it has more general aggro too.

I have RS macroed to every ability I have.

I have 2 x Tankards if they are considered decent 1h weps. I was not trying to DW tank as I always had an opinion that it was not optimal. Can you link me a spec for DW tanking please, ty.

Also can you tell em whats the rotation as frost tank? Again I am curious if you put up 2 disease or just 1, as HB will automaticlly put up FF with glyph?

Thanks again !!

This spec seems to work fine for me:

DW Frost Spec

Note there is 1 unspent talent point in this build.

The glyphs kind of depend on your gear and content you are doing.

I don't normally glyph howling blast, and use a rotation like this:

Single target:

IT -> PS -> BS -> BS -> OB -> OB (FS for RP dump)

AoE:

DnD,IT,PS,PEST,HB,BB,FS,OB,HB,PEST

DW Tankards should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by gabbu View Post
    The rotation I linked first is what I use as blood spec now and I am trying to go frost as it has more snap aggro and other dk's on my server have told me it has more general aggro too.

I have RS macroed to every ability I have.

I have 2 x Tankards if they are considered decent 1h weps. I was not trying to DW tank as I always had an opinion that it was not optimal. Can you link me a spec for DW tanking please, ty.

Also can you tell em whats the rotation as frost tank? Again I am curious if you put up 2 disease or just 1, as HB will automaticlly put up FF with glyph?

Thanks again !!
    Hi, i am gonna use this talents as DW tanking on patch 3.3, but you can use them now as well.

On my rotations i use IT and PS (I use mostly HW when Rime procs or when AoE tanking). rotation would then be IT>PS>BS>BS>OB>OB... when KM procs I use FS (also use it to dump even if i dont have KM on proc, but as KM procs often, I save the dump on it). a good addon to show you the procs is Event Alert (I also have it show Rune Strike procs).

For AoE tanking it goes very simple DND>IT>PS>Pestilence>HB>BB... and DnD again when CD is off. when rime procs, wait for KM to proc as well and fire HB off.. FS as dumps as well (try and target mob with biggest health).

You can also see which glyphs I will use when DW :
    Glyph of Obliterate, Glyph of Frost Strike and Glyph of Howling Blast. When I am in a encounter that I need to taunt often like northrend beasts, i switch Glyph of Obliterate for Glyph of Dark Command.
    Last edited by Trork; 10-19-2009 at 10:58 AM. Reason: glyphs

+ Reply to Thread