+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 3.2 DK aggro problem

3.2 DK aggro problem

Hi, i'm dk tank for quite a while and i've never ever had aggro issues. But since 3.2 is out, i just can't keep aggro at all, at least against good geared ppl. I think my gear is decent, (my armory link), what i have on currently is most probably my dps gear, but u can see the spec at least. Gearwise i have 2xT7.5, 2xT8, 219 wrist, belt, gloves; 213 ring, boots; 226 ring, neck; 200 trinkets. My gemming is stam, hit and expertise. I have 243 hit rating and 22 expertise, 2332 AP unbuffed. Yet, i can't hold aggro. I've tried several different specs for all blood, frost and unholy, also tried dual wield, but nothing helped. I don't think there's anything wrong with my rotations, since as a dps, i'm doing rly well. Currently using IT-PS-2xBS-SS-DC dump and still i get overaggroed quite easily.
    as a sigil, i'm using Awareness, wanna switch to the rune strike one, but not till i fix my aggro problems.

Because of that, i made myself kinda useless for guild, so if anyone has some tips that might help me, please tell me.

Thx for help.

i'm doing rly well. Currently using IT-PS-2xBS-SS-DC dump and still i get overaggroed quite easily.
    as a sigil, i'm using Awareness, wanna switch to the rune strike one, but not till i fix my aggro problems.
    That is your biggest problem right there.....not using rune strike. That is your biggest threat against a mob, they hate it more then anything. You gain a lot of agro off of it. USE IT!!!.....and you will stop having problems. Tanks are not DPS, we use high threat skills, and take a lot of damage.

sorry, my bad in posting
    i do use rune strike when it procs, just didn't write it into the rotation, even got glyphed rune strike + the set bonus from T8

Rune Strike is still RNG reliant, so even if you macro it to all your abilities, it's not 100% sure to resolve the issue. I have aggro issues on Auraiya (pardon spelling) as my DPS likes to open up with AoEs assuming I'm building maximum threat on multiple adds. Something I need to remind them of again tonight, but I digress.

Example of macro:
    #show Scourge Strike
    /cast Scourge Strike
    /cast Rune Strike

Biggest question is where are you losing threat? Single targets, groups, bosses? How quickly is DPS catching? If immediately, they're jumping the gun, a couple of seconds isn't going to matter compared to pulling threat. Also, how geared is the DPS? If they outgear and choose to ignore threat warnings, they will tunnel vision and focus on DPS over teamwork.

Gear - getting hit/expertise capped is always worthwhile. A missed, parried or dodged attack generates zero threat. Again, if your DPS is geared to ideal hit/expertise caps, they're generating threat when you're not doing it youself.

For single targets, I open with IT (as I close), then PS, Obliterate/ScS/DS, then 2x BS/HS. You can also do IT then Ob/ScS/DS, the finish the PS, 2xBS/HS rotation, as the initial FU strike will generate a large amount of initial threat.

The default aggro solution for groups is DnD, either on the group or pulling the first target via Deathgrip, followed by PS, IT, Pestilence. Adding a Blood Tap/Bloodboil onto the end usually locks up threat.

i'm not using macros for rune strike, prefer the manual way. On groups, i'm usually fine, unless some1 starts to nuke wrong target, but well, there ain't much i can do about it. My main problem is single target TPS. When dps has similar quality gear to mine, i'm starting having problems. Even if the dps waits for few seconds at start, they catch up on me pretty quickly.

well i know what you mean about when people hit the wrong target or just do not pay attention and that is always put on the tank. We have to know what may happen before it does and always be aware. I know this may not be right but this is what i do to keep agro if someone or group starts pulling. IF i have not laid it i will cast dnd. After that if they are still pulling i will hit bb or howling blast whether or not i have rime or killing machine proc'd. The reason beeing is i am the one who is to have agro and keep everyone alive. I think like this if they die because i did not try everything to keep it off them then i have failed. RS helps alot and so does HB. Take it for what its worth. Someone may blast me if they will but so far it has worked for me.

Don't expect to be pulling large TPS wuth unholy, as it stands unholy is weaker in every form of holding aggro at the moment. But having said that you can definitealy squeeze some more tps out of your spec, try for something like this

Unholy Threat Spec

Gained

2H Weapon Spec
    Desolation
    Wandering Plague
    Blood Caked Blade

Lost
    Scent Of Blood (You still have Dirge for RP gain)
    Imp Icy Touch (Warriors, Shamans, Pallies can cover this nps)
    Imp Unholy Presence (Realli needed?)
    Magic Supression and AMZ (Again.. needed?)

Glyph wise I would change Death and Decay for Dark Death if you want more ST threat.

iv tried alote of spec this 1 i made it does so good on 10 and heroics but 25 man grr

I am a blood tank and im having alote of problem both single and aoe tanking when it comes to raid heroics and 10 man is no problem but warlocks and fire mages are taking agro off me super fast

My Single target rotation with it-ps-ds-hs-hs-ds-hs dump alote of rune strike and death coil
    my AOE it-ps-pest-ds-bb-bb-bb and rune strike and death coil

My spec and gear
    The World of Warcraft Armory

+ Reply to Thread