+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Coliseum Lord Jaraxxus

Coliseum Lord Jaraxxus

Quote Originally Posted by ttocs
    Welcome back to the TankSpot Crusader's Coliseum Raid Guide. This is Ttocs, and this video will go over a strategy for Lord Jaraxxus, the second boss in the Crusader's Coliseum.

If you'd like more information or would like to learn more about downloading this movie, click "more info" on the movie information box on YouTube to head directly to TankSpot! Also, be sure to subscribe by clicking the Susbcribe button to the right so you will be automatically notified as we release movies.

Lord Jaraxxus is a controlled DPS burn. DPS on Jaraxxus is secondary to proper DPS on the adds, and you want to control the Legion Inferno so you don't have fire everywhere. Healing also becomes extremely important on this fight, as you need to get the Incinerate Flesh debuff off before that person blows up the raid.

The raid composition we used had two tanks - one on Jaraxxus, and one for his adds, and 5 healers. There is a lot of fire damage going around on this fight - a Fire Resistance Aura or Totem is very useful here.

When you start the encounter, You want to tank him in the middle of the room, and keep the raid spread out at least 10 yards apart, so you don't spread Fel lightning. Fel lightning works exactly like chain lightning - however, the damage doesn't change each time it jumps, and it will affect a maximum of 5 targets.

Focus on Jaraxxus at first, and assign people to interrupt his fel fireball. Fel fireball will be cast on the tank at regular intervals, and it will do about 22-23K damage up front, and it will tick for over 8000 damage per second. This can be dispelled.

He will also randomly target a player with Legion flames. Legion flames is a debuff that deals about 4000 damage per second, and will leave a fire at your feet. There are two ways to deal with this. You can either stand in one spot and either be healed through it and keep the fire in one spot, or those that are affected by it can run to the outside of the room. For a few seconds, they will leave a trail of fire behind. This fire will also deal about 4000 damage per second for those that stand in it.

The other random ability that Jaraxxus will use is Incinerate Flesh. Incinerate Flesh is cast on a random target and absorbs the next 70,000 healing that you receive and reduces the damage you deal by 50%. If you don't receive 70,000 healing in the next 15 seconds, you will explode, and will deal over 3000 damage per second for 5 seconds to all friendly targets.

Jaraxxus also gains a buff called Nether Power. It increases the magic damage he deals by 20%. This buff can be spellstolen by mages, and should be done whenever possible, to minimize the Fel Lightning and fel fireball damage.

Throughout the encounter, he will spawn two types of adds. The first type of add is a Mistress of Pain, and one will spawn from a portal. The add tank needs to pick this up immediately and the non-interrupter DPS needs to burn them down. They have a high damage attack that pierces armor, and a spinning pain spike where the Mistress of Pain randomly targets a player in the raid and hits them for about 50% of their health.

The second type of adds are infernals, and they are spawned from the volcanoes. Each volcano will spawn about 3-4 infernals, and they must be picked up by the add tank. The add tank picks up the infernals and tries to keep it away from others so the infernal AoE doesn't hit any other players. We also move Jaraxxus to keep them away from the melee. The ranged stay on the infernal, and the melee stand on Jaraxxus. The infernals will also randomly target a player in the raid and attack them for about 6000 damage, then go back to the add tank.

Overall, the Jaraxxus encounter requires a bit of execution. Make sure that the adds are picked up and taken down as quick as possible, keep Legion Flames under control, and keep interrupting Fel Fireball. Also, make sure that Incinerate Flames is healed up as soon as possible. Good interrupts on Jaraxxus is a huge plus, as it will greatly reduce the burst damage on the tank throughout the encounter.

Thanks for watching this movie! As always, feel free to ask questions or add suggestions either on YouTube or in the strategy thread on TankSpot.com. Also, TankSpot Donors can download all of these movies in High Definition directly from our servers -- click the second link in the movie information box to learn more!
    Last edited by Aliena; 01-25-2010 at 09:38 AM.

AWesome! my guild is going to be doing this tonight.. doesn't sound too awful.

Likewise, looking forward to it. Sounds like Grobby, Yogg and Vezax all rolled up into nice, fiery goodness. Can't wait to spellsteal that buff and churn out some epic DPS.

Movie up! Donor download soon!

Donor download up!

Can Fel Fireball be Spell Reflected by a Warrior?

Honestly I'm not sure M0rtal.

Is the 25 man fight similar to the 10 man, or will there be a separate video to go over that?

Quote Originally Posted by Reij View Post
    Is the 25 man fight similar to the 10 man, or will there be a separate video to go over that?
    They're pretty similar though we may put out another video for 10-man as well.

I was getting hit for about ~50,000 from Fel Fireball (and we had a Fire Resist Aura up) so I don't know if we were missing something or if it just sometimes hits harder. Just a heads up because basically anytime we missed a Fel Fireball I was lying face down on the ground! Also if you have a fury warrior or even better, an enhancement shaman they should be able to interrupt every single Fireball, just make sure you have someone doing backup interrupts in case they get Legion Flames. Other than that we had no problems with this encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by M0rtalC0mbat View Post
    Can Fel Fireball be Spell Reflected by a Warrior?
    Spell Reflect does not work, I just had to try last night.

Quote Originally Posted by skypilot870
    I was getting hit for about ~50,000 from Fel Fireball (and we had a Fire Resist Aura up) so I don't know if we were missing something or if it just sometimes hits harder.
    There's a good chance someone wasn't spell stealing or dispelling nether power. There was a point in our 10 man kill were I had people stop kicking Fel Fireball because I was a little too rage starved and it never hit me that hard.

The fight is pretty easy, but I still found it fun.

Quote Originally Posted by skypilot870 View Post
    I was getting hit for about ~50,000 from Fel Fireball (and we had a Fire Resist Aura up) so I don't know if we were missing something or if it just sometimes hits harder. Just a heads up because basically anytime we missed a Fel Fireball I was lying face down on the ground! Also if you have a fury warrior or even better, an enhancement shaman they should be able to interrupt every single Fireball, just make sure you have someone doing backup interrupts in case they get Legion Flames. Other than that we had no problems with this encounter.
    It was Nether Power that made his fireballs hurt so bad =(.
    We didn't have a mage but had a shammy and two hunters available; tranq shot and purge do work as well.
    Not sure if it's different in 25 man, but in 10, the boss gains an immediate five charges of Nether Power, equaling 100% more spell damage. We just had the MT call out when it had the buff and our shaman went to work.

Went it on 10man and killed him on out first try.

Fel fireball is interupttable, our casters removed everything they could and we walked right through it. Get melee away from mistress of pain as she has that nasty whirlwind type attack she hits them with that seems to ignore armor.

Pretty easy boss IMO, then again it is just 10 regular, i'm sure the 10 heroic will be a bit tougher.

An oversight - ttocs mentioned that his buff can be spell stolen but not purged [which is how we did it] - could be useful to put as an overlay note?

Quote Originally Posted by Souladin View Post
    It was Nether Power that made his fireballs hurt so bad =(.
    We didn't have a mage but had a shammy and two hunters available; tranq shot and purge do work as well.
    Not sure if it's different in 25 man, but in 10, the boss gains an immediate five charges of Nether Power, equaling 100% more spell damage. We just had the MT call out when it had the buff and our shaman went to work.
    Yes these should work also dispel magic from a priest should also, purge DOES also work because I ran around on our kill purging the boss whenever he had the buff up. Also the thing to note about Incinerate Flesh on 10 man is only 20k healing or so, I was able to take it off myself with 2 heals.

The Nether Power buff has 10 stacks on the boss in 25 man and lasts for 30 seconds. This will increase his magic damage done by 200% while it is up. Each stack gives 20% and while it's great for mages to spell steal it, it isn't really necessary and somewhat dangerous. His chain lightning will easily one shot people if he has to many stacks of it up.

Since this wasn't really a dps race fight we went with a very controled version where the boss was tanked by the gate with the melee dps on him while all ranged dps but mages where in the back of the arena and assigned as purely add dps. One tank healer on each side of the gate and the rest of the healers in the middle of the arena in range of everyone. All ranged dps and healers spread out at least 15 yards to avoide lightning bouncing and adds were tanked in the middle of the arena and focused on by the add dps (aka non mage ranged dps).

We had the warlocks use fel hounds and just leave them on the boss while our enhancement shaman, prot warrior, and mages handled dispelling / stealing nether power. We found that the dps boost was nice but the insta gib lightning because we were waiting for mages to spell steal wasn't worth it to only have mages dispell it.

This lead to a super clean fight for us.

P.S. - Fel Fireball has a 10-11 second cooldown. So a DK, rogue, fury warrior, or enchancement shaman can single handedly lock it out. Enhancement being your best bet due to 0 loss of dps, but assigning a few people to it is ideal. With full stacks of nether power up it is very deadly, but with no stacks up it is very managable to heal through.
    Last edited by Takethecake; 08-12-2009 at 09:16 AM.

Completed the encounter last night on 10-man in a total of two attempts, will be doing it again tonight on 25-man mode. In 10-man, his melee swings were hitting me for about 6-9k, and while he does hit fast, after ~30 seconds or so I was able to tell the healers to relax on me little bit. The fight is not as healing-intensive as I'd first believed from looking at the information in the strategy thread here.
    We missed one interrupt, and his fireball hit me for about 25k, and the DoT ticked the full duration. It did not kill me- however, our mage was spellstealing the crap out of him (cackling madly as he did it, I'm sure), and the healers were very on the ball last night. From what I've seen, Steelbreaker's Rune Punch hits worse- even so, I wouldn't suggest trying to skip an interrupt.

One thing I don't understand from this video, why is he being kited? I was able to tank him in the middle of the room the entire fight with no trouble at all. It seems from the video that the fight is no different in 25-man mode than it is in 10-man mode, so is there an advantage to kiting him that I'm missing?

This is not required for this fight but is a definitely nice to have if you want to maximize your Melee and Hunter DPS against this boss.

He is classified (Demon). So Consider this for a nice DPS boost.

Elixir of Demonslaying

Requires Level 40
    Item Level 50
    Use: Increases attack power by 265 against demons. Lasts 5 min. Battle Elixir.
    Sell Price: 7

Melee and Hunter's Take Note.

Are any of the adds deathgrippable? IE; can they be moved by means of DG?

The infernals are stunnable so I would guess they can be DG'd when not in "ball" form.
    The only thing better than being able to tank, is realizing that you no longer need to prove that you can.

+ Reply to Thread