+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Feral tank gem advice

Feral tank gem advice

Good evening people, Orc, Tauren, Elfs and other races of Azeroth,

i come here today to ask for some advice on my regemming to a feral tank.
    i have been gathering red and blue epic gems to change my old blue ones.
    and after reading a litle i got myself confused.

whit my gear and blue gems in bear form i am whit 36k health unbuffed.
    should i keep gemm all blues and only respecting my neta request or should i gem till iget 40K again and the rest whit dodge and/or agility.

i am currently tanking ulduar 25 and till now didnīt have any problems whit this gear and gemming, but whit the new epic ones i might eb able to sort them in other way to improve or just get a lot more health.

My armry is: The World of Warcraft Armory
    i will add more info when i get online about dodge and other stats.
    Last edited by Dazkareih; 08-11-2009 at 12:40 AM.

Update:
    In Bear form
    27996 armor
    39% dodge
    40 expertise
    427 def
    5304 power
    40% crit
    123 arpen

any help is most then wellcome

Sad to see no responses, and I've never played a Druid tank so I know almost nothing about it.

However, here's what I know and have learned from many, many mistakes:

Generally, you want to decide on a couple stats that you need, be it health, avoidance, threat, or whatever else Druids need.

Then...

1. List what you want in order of priority.

2. Pick and sort gems and gem bonuses into what would help you get more of your prioritized stats.

3. Use pure gems for whatever you want the most of, whenever you can (30 stam in a blue socket, for example)

4. Use hybrid gems for whatever you want the most of and your secondary and third objectives (10 dodge, 15 stam in a red socket and 10 defense, 15 stam in a yellow socket, for example)

Generally, it'd be a good idea to look at all your possible sockets and decide on a gem for each color.

Use pure gems whenever the socket bonus is not either your first or second objective (such as 6 strength), and use pure gems combined with hybrid gems whenever the socket bonus is worth it (such as 9 stam)

I use the following:

Blue - 30 Stam, Yellow - 10 Defense Rating, 15 Stam, Red - 10 Dodge rating, 15 Stam.

My priorities are first health, second avoidance. Third is enough hit to rarely (if ever) miss taunts and disease application, since diseases are so vital to my self-healing (DS).

Annnd there you go! Now you can gem for yourself, both now in the future.

Thanks for the help Miagorme,

The thing is i know my priorities and they are Stamina and agility sicne agility will give me dodge/armour/crit and AP.
    Pure dodge is not that much usefull since i will lose to much compared to agility.

My question is how much stam should i have to start gem agility?

Iīm not sure about druid but maybe stam still 40K and then just get agility

it should be some bears around that might say something more usefull then this

There is no set amount to have. It's personal preference. I know druid tanks that gem agi from the beginning. I know some that always gem stam. Basically, there is not right or wrong answer here. You could set yourself a personal goal, and work toward that. Once you reach it you can do the other. For example, work toward 38khp unbuffed. When you reach it, then start to go agi. That is just an example. Here is my armory The World of Warcraft Armory

Another thing I would watch for is before you gem and enchant, do some simple calculations with different possible gem and enchants. By doing this you can optimize stats by picking the best combination/solution.

So again, there is no right or wrong answer. You can be a stam heavy meat shield, agi heavy avoidance, or a something anywhere in between.

Read rules, posts that contain your personal Armory and aren't comparing two specific items = HALP thread.

Moved.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    Read rules, posts that contain your personal Armory and aren't comparing two specific items = HALP thread.

Moved.
    Damnit, Kaze beat me to it again

Anyways, I think I am the first bear tank to respond here, if not, here goes.

First off, you have categorized this as PVP. are you trying to PVP as a bear? If you are, you need resilience, and should get some pvp gear. If you aren't then be sure to let us know.

Assuming you aren't trying to PVP..
    Bears are about the easiest to gem for, there are only 2 raw stats you are concerned about: Agi and stam. Forget dodge, defense, etc., as they are not geared for bears. The other 2 stats to worry about are hit and expertise.

For Agi and Stam, you have decide if you want to stack Agi or Stam. Stacking stamina is to be expected for bears, and is straight forward. Stacking agi is a little less common, but if you look at tier gem slots, is the way blizzard intended bears to go. I prefer this for two reasons:
    -Ferals have high Agi->Dodge conversion rates (Best in game, as far as I know). Since Dodge is our only way to avoid being hit, stacking agi to increase dodge is a good thing, and there is a miniscule side benefit of increasing armor as well. A dodge also gives us a 5 rage bonus.
    -Agi also increases melee crit, which serves 3 functions: Melee crits trigger our Savage Defense, a big part of our mitigation, provide a 3 rage bonus per crit (especially huge when swiping trash), and finally, raw DPS which is in turn TPS.
    -Stam is absolutely useless in cat form, whereas agility adds to cat AP. While I do carry both cat gear and feral gear, you cant change gear mid-combat, but I frequently shift out of bear form into cat mode when I am not actively tanking (I've eaten my mobs and now helping DPS my OT/MT's target, 30% speed boost to movement to get to help positioning like Heigan dance, etc.). Therefore, while my bear gear isn't as good as my cat gear, the difference is not nearly as noticeable since I have maximized my agility through gems and enchants. A purely stam stacked feral in cat form generally doesn't significantly contribute to DPS when they shift to cat form.

So, provided you have reached the hit cap 263, which you are behind by alot, and expertise soft cap (26, you can safely afford to lose some when you get gear upgrades), you can gem for all blue stamina, and have a phenomenal health pool, but fold quickly as you have little dodge and few savage defense procs occuring. Unless you have a disc priest or a paladin, healer may have troubles keeping you up. If you gem for all agi, your health pool won't be as impressive, but once people run with you the healers will definately enjoy healing you. The middle of the road solution is to gem for agi/stam. You need to decide how you want to go about it.

Gem Slot Bonuses. if the bonus is agi or crit, Do not miss the bonus! if the socket bonus is crit or defense, you might be tempted to forego it. For example, you should gem
    -Shoulders with either agi or agi/stam
    -Chest with agi or agi/stam for red, and hit/stam for yellow.
    -Gloves with Hit/stam
    -Pants with agi or agi/stam for red, and hit/stam for yellow

There is a 20 hit to gloves enchant, worth considering to get to hit cap.

I currently use the same shoulder enchant as you do, but you can consider other options if needed. There is a stam/resilience shoulder enchant through PVP, costs 10k honour, or you can also try outfitting it with the AP/Crit DPS enchant to improve threat/savage defense up time.

As you get upgrades, consider regemming old gear for content. For example, stack one set with all agi for general utility, and all stam for magic bosses.

I'm a feral druid too, hence why I linked my armory... and you basically just said what I did in a very complicated form.

As Alanium mentioned it pretty much boils down to personal preference & what content you're running. I go by feel, if I'm not feeling like I'll get 2 shot, I go for more avoidance - otherwise it's stam. Currently I have way more stam gems than I used to run with for hard modes, but I still don't stack as much stam as most bears I see. I used to be a plain avoidance bear but Ulduar's dictated that I change things up. Self buffed I'm sitting around 36k, with 25's buffs approx 46.5k. Armory - I use 4 different gems, stam / agi / exp hit & exp sta.
    Last edited by Tygorl; 08-11-2009 at 03:53 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.ordnance-guild.org - Ordnance is back!

i started out on my druid tank whit pvp gear sinds there is alot of stam and agi on it curently have 39% dodge unbuffed in bear and 30k health about i had 36k in a guild naxx10 run whit priest pali and druid buffs i have main tanked it over warrior and pali's whit almos t same amount of epics
    curnetly working on conquer gear and will get more health but also work on agro but i know i need more dodge before i get stam

HEllo all and TY for all the help given

I am a PVE player even if i am i a PVPRP server.

I was all stamina buffed, and a gain i regemmed all stam, but since i only have 38% dodge taht is kinda low, i am goign to replace some slots whit 10agy+15stam in right slots to try anf get some bonus.

i want to have a huge stam pool but even so get a prety good dodge.

+ Reply to Thread