+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 42 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 42 LastLast

Thread: Rate The UI Above

Quote Originally Posted by Texan81 View Post
    Boda what are you using for your minimap

Sent from my Dell Streak
    Chinchilla, most of the addons are labeled in a explanation screen shot. Its in the link I posted, go through the 4 pictures on the download page.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

Toushiro is offline 私はあなたのことをいつも考えています。
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodasafa View Post
    That's actually a really good idea when your in config mode and want to visualize something, but not sure if you want to scrap what you have. But yeah that's why I can't work in lua or I'd craft mine from the code up. I don't know how you guys do it. Is there a model viewer that gives you a preview as you work in code?

And thanks.
    none that I know of, it's mostly hit and miss so it's pretty much write code then do a UI reload in game then find out if it's what you wanted. If it half works but get LUA errors then it's simple as read the error then fix it

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    I keep a few steel bars in my home.

I've just browsed through all 40 pages of this thread looking at UIs. What has hit me is how tukui is such a double edged sword. On one hand it has given us a really efficient and customizable UI and on the other hand it has lessened the originality and creativity of UIs. The earlier pages of this thread shows fairly distinct looking setups and some original art and designs but then there comes a point where the generic tukui arrangement starts taking over and there's less and less original designs. It feels like tukui has created a comfort zone for players with regards to their choice of UI and not many players are willing to step outside that comfort zone any more.

Quote Originally Posted by tommos View Post
    I've just browsed through all 40 pages of this thread looking at UIs. What has hit me is how tukui is such a double edged sword. On one hand it has given us a really efficient and customizable UI and on the other hand it has lessened the originality and creativity of UIs. The earlier pages of this thread shows fairly distinct looking setups and some original art and designs but then there comes a point where the generic tukui arrangement starts taking over and there's less and less original designs. It feels like tukui has created a comfort zone for players with regards to their choice of UI and not many players are willing to step outside that comfort zone any more.
    Good point,

Almost every single thing is TukUI.

The question is though, how do you make something as nicelooking without it if you can't LUA script or anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffro View Post
    Good point,

Almost every single thing is Tukui.

The question is though, how do you make something as nice looking without it if you can't LUA script or anything?
    But Tukui is a great way to start learning LUA coding if you are willing to send the time learning and not just give up half way. There are many guides on the Tukui forums to help beginners to LUA. I learned a lot from the guides and even from reading the change logs on Tukz github. You can also get some great help on the forums.

There is only so much you can do with a UI when it comes to layout, which is the core of any UI. I felt fortunate to create something relatively original at the time I started mine.

Its not easy to keep creative when most of the original ideas have been spent. Tukui is popular because its easy to set up, default out of the box if you like it "as is". Easy works for a lot of people, spending hours configuring or altering a UI doesn't appeal to the masses.

But a some of us love it. Personally its kept me engaged in the game longer than just raiding ever would have on its own. Its a whole other game within the game.

I just don't have the drive to learn lua.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

There is only so much you can do with a UI when it comes to layout, which is the core of any UI. I felt fortunate to create something relatively original at the time I started mine.

Its not easy to keep creative when most of the original ideas have been spent. Tukui is popular because its easy to set up, default out of the box if you like it "as is". Easy works for a lot of people, spending hours configuring or altering a UI doesn't appeal to the masses.

But a some of us love it. Personally its kept me engaged in the game longer than just raiding ever would have on its own. Its a whole other game within the game.

I just don't have the drive to learn lua.
    Aye most the real original styles have already been done. Not a whole lot of styles left to really create, there is like a 1 in a million change that what someone could create these days is original.

As far as LUA goes, before LUA I tried many times to learn other coding languages but none of them stuck for me, but once I found Tukui back in 3.3.3a I started looking around and messed around with the coding in T10 and still to this day with T13, waiting for T14 which until Tukz can think of more features that could be added and still follow the bases of Tukui simply just being a complete rewrite of base Blizzard UI, T13 will be here for awhile since it's the most stable version to date

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffro View Post

The question is though, how do you make something as nicelooking without it if you can't LUA script or anything?
    Creative use of kgPanels.

Things like this http://elitistjerks.com/attachments/f32/a2277d1206678197-share_your_interface_read_first_post_no_really_rea d/wowscrnshot_022108_172439.jpg
    an older Ryas ui, http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/3...7012205pu5.jpg this older Caith ui, and lots of TBC ui were prettied up with eePanels.
    KgPanels is the the current equivalent. You can also use it to add custom textures to existing frames.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1e72KLtnDo&playnext=1&list=PLC7F3B15C28AB DF6E

is a decent tutorial video for doing this.

http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/index.php?cid=17

Here's a bunch of texture packs you can download.

But Tukui is a great way to start learning LUA coding
    This is quite true.

This http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info14831-oUFSimple2.html
    is a good oUF layout for learning LUA if you are inclined.

Quote Originally Posted by artie View Post

This http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info14831-oUFSimple2.html
    is a good oUF layout for learning LUA if you are inclined.
    oUF coding makes me cringe so much. Haste just is a great AddOn author but his coding style is just unclean.

9/10 Toushiro.

I think the chat needs a box, personal preference though. I like your UI versions, nice and clean.

Been a while since I posted mine in this thread, rate away
    <clipped pictures>
    To go back the main focus of this topic here. 4/5, keep up the good work Boda

been working on some new unitframe layouts.

WoWScrnShot_090211_003645.jpg

grid expands neatly beneath the target frame. party frames are on the left side of the screen.

6/10 Map is a little big and the buttons are not neat. Not to crazy about your unit frames set up.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/62/uiuiuiw.png/

Addons:
    ardent defender
    atlast loot
    azcastbar
    bartender
    bigwigs
    button facade
    error filter
    miks scrolling battle text
    omen - bottom above bags
    ora3
    playerscore
    sexy map
    shadowed unit frames
    simple tank frames
    skada - above omen
    tidy plates threat plates
    tiptac
    titan

I'll post an in combat version soon, without my desktop background. :X

7/10

People go to so much trouble configuring combat text, unit frames, action bars etc. to look awesome, and then use pretty much the stock settings on their damage meter and threat meter :/

Pyrea, what would you recommend for my damage and threat meters?

Changing the bar texture so that they are the same as your UF, sizing the bars, maybe reduce the clutter (do you really need to know the percentage of total damage someone did?), change the window's borders to go with the action bars, maybe change the location so that they fit in to the rest of the UI. That kind of thing.

For example my Omen and Skada have the same bar texture, bar height, text font and size, I also got shut of the Omen "pull aggro" bar for melee and ranged, and the threat percentage levels as I felt them unnecessary.

Here's an update.

Raid frame is upper left area and party is lower left area.
    Last edited by raze; 09-06-2011 at 03:38 AM.

Doesn't that look so much better?

I would maybe make them about the same height as your chat frame for symmetry, perhaps make the bars bigger (you don't need to worry about any threat bars other than the top 5 player's threat, and you can scroll down in skada if you want to check further down than the top 5), you want to be able to see stuff at a glance, not have to squint at some bars that are 10 px high.

Last one. I'm not crazy about how big the bars are on threat/damage meters but I can't miss it now. - Not that I would miss it before. ;o

Don't forget to "lock" your Omen to get rid of the "column lines" in the middle of the window.

That look's very nice, I think I need to edit my UI as well again soon :/

This is mine atm:

+ Reply to Thread