+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Am I ready to tank Ulduar10? Gear/Spec Rate

Am I ready to tank Ulduar10? Gear/Spec Rate

Hi Guys,

Here's my armory - The World of Warcraft Armory

I've gotten a lot of helpful advice by reading through the forums here but I have a few queries:~

- Where should i go from here. What needs the most improvement in terms of my tanking capabilities (threat, survival), are there ways to improve my spec? ( i tank in frost )

- Also what are some easily obtainable and suggested gear updates or enchants for me right now. perhaps I need more hit / expertise for threat? any advice or pointers would be appreciated.

- And finally with my current HP of about 30k unbuffed in frost presense and having the defense cap of 540 would i be ready to tank an Ulduar10. My biggest concern is being able to hold aggro against big dps.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Gladeras
    Last edited by gladeras; 08-10-2009 at 10:11 PM.

You are well on your way...must be nice gearing out in a week because of the new instance.

Your hit rating is pretty low...you want to get that to 263 ASAP. Work on getting that expertise up another 3 points as well...unless the Armory doesnt take into consideration your +3 expertise from the Human Racial.

I wouldn't go into Uld10 with a tank wearing even one blue (aside from Essence) but that's cause I'm a bit of a douchebag. You'd probly be fine but I suggest getting some 8.0 or 8.5 Gloves from VoA or even the 7.0/7.5 gloves from Sartharion in OS or from Heroism badges.

You would probably be fine if you were being carried by over geared healers and I guess people say its perfectly normal to run in to Uld10 wearing nothing but Naxx10 gear, but theres some tough fights in there even wearing pure Naxx25 gear. If you can get into a couple 25 mans before running into Ulduar it certainly wouldn't hurt.

Also....get a second profession for the love of god....and get your current one up to max.

hahahaha cheers. Yeah im a little lazy with the whole profession side of things. This is an alt though but I'll get to it soon enough.

Thanks for the tips, appreciate it

Okay so I guess hit rating and replacing those gloves are priority for the time being.

Yep. Frown at professions, but you can boost your stam by at least 200 with JC and probably more than that. Blacksmithing will give you some really nice bonuses due to the extra sockets, especially now with the new epic gems. Mining will give you a decent boost to stam. Engineering has some really cool tinkers that you can apply to your gear for additional utility and survivability.

Quote Originally Posted by Zivh View Post
    Yep. Frown at professions, but you can boost your stam by at least 200 with JC and probably more than that. Blacksmithing will give you some really nice bonuses due to the extra sockets, especially now with the new epic gems. Mining will give you a decent boost to stam. Engineering has some really cool tinkers that you can apply to your gear for additional utility and survivability.

thats a very good point regarding the jewelcrafting etc. However wouldn't my time be better spent farming emblems and such for gear rather than levelling a profession at the moment? In terms of gear upgrade per time spent (if that makes any sense) i think farming emblems of conquest would be a better way to spend my time to gear up at the moment. I'll work on my professions later on, although they will no doubt help my stats by a lot, they arn't really a priority in my eyes at the moment.

Professions are permanent, gear upgrades are not as few and far between as you may think. If you like to PUG, go for doing every heroic every day....but if you have the gold, you can buy all the mats and farm up your professions in one day pretty easily. Yeah, its tedious and takes a few hours, but you will have those professions until you decide to drop them, and they are passive, massive bonuses.

Yes, gear is also very important, but I think its kind of noobish to have your professions sitting at 0 when you could be worlds ahead of the game if they were at 450.

Professions are permanent, gear upgrades are not as few and far between as you may think. If you like to PUG, go for doing every heroic every day....but if you have the gold, you can buy all the mats and farm up your professions in one day pretty easily. Yeah, its tedious and takes a few hours, but you will have those professions until you decide to drop them, and they are passive, massive bonuses.

Yes, gear is also very important, but I think its kind of noobish to have your professions sitting at 0 when you could be worlds ahead of the game if they were at 450.
    Yeah you're right, youve convinced me to start levelling my professions . Im guessing JC/BS would be the best combo? Which professions would be the most useful to my character in terms of becoming a more viable tank. Price is also an issue, I'm not exactly made of gold right now.

Additionally not relating to that, Does anyone think i should be switching my spec around at all? I just have a feeling that my spec isn't really efficient and perhaps I'm wasting a few points somewhere.

It's sort of up to you. They've really evened the playing field a bit with professions this last patch. Personally, I am an alchemist and enchanter. I get 60 stam from enchanting my rings, plus boosts to my flasks (they add ~ 2k hp instead of 1300).

JC/BS I would say will give you the most versatility. You can socket your bracers and gloves, and on top of that, you have great bonus gems you can put in there. If you are low on defense from a couple new pieces, you can put in defense gems. If your expertise drops below cap, you can put in expertise gems, etc. It's sort of up to you and what you think sounds like fun, really.

Your spec is ok, theres a lot of preference when it comes to spec. It's mostly based on how you feel you are doing: are you losing threat on single targets/aoe pulls; are you taking a lot of damage and your healers are having trouble keeping you up; et cetera....

Here is a decent 2h Frost tanking spec if you are interested. I'm sure others have their own criticisms but this one got me through Naxx25 and into Ulduar 10 with 0 issues, until I switched to Blood: Frost 2H Tank 12/51/8

The rotation would be:

Single Target: HB BS BS OB -> Runic Dump (Frost Strike) -> HB OB OB -> Runic Dump -> Repeat

AoE: HB DnD BB -> ERW or Runic Dump -> HB BB DnD (CD should be up), if not, use BB/HB when you can, and OB to hopefully get that Rime proc

As Satorri has stated before, you are always better off using a priorities system than a "rotation" in order to maximize your threat and survivability. One of these days I'll write up something as best as I can to help out for those who are curious. A bit of tanking and you should understand and figure out what works best for you.

It's sort of up to you. They've really evened the playing field a bit with professions this last patch. Personally, I am an alchemist and enchanter. I get 60 stam from enchanting my rings, plus boosts to my flasks (they add ~ 2k hp instead of 1300).

JC/BS I would say will give you the most versatility. You can socket your bracers and gloves, and on top of that, you have great bonus gems you can put in there. If you are low on defense from a couple new pieces, you can put in defense gems. If your expertise drops below cap, you can put in expertise gems, etc. It's sort of up to you and what you think sounds like fun, really.

Your spec is ok, theres a lot of preference when it comes to spec. It's mostly based on how you feel you are doing: are you losing threat on single targets/aoe pulls; are you taking a lot of damage and your healers are having trouble keeping you up; et cetera....

Here is a decent 2h Frost tanking spec if you are interested. I'm sure others have their own criticisms but this one got me through Naxx25 and into Ulduar 10 with 0 issues, until I switched to Blood: Frost 2H Tank 12/51/8

The rotation would be:

Single Target: HB BS BS OB -> Runic Dump (Frost Strike) -> HB OB OB -> Runic Dump -> Repeat

AoE: HB DnD BB -> ERW or Runic Dump -> HB BB DnD (CD should be up), if not, use BB/HB when you can, and OB to hopefully get that Rime proc

As Satorri has stated before, you are always better off using a priorities system than a "rotation" in order to maximize your threat and survivability. One of these days I'll write up something as best as I can to help out for those who are curious. A bit of tanking and you should understand and figure out what works best for you.
    Thanks for the time and effort you put into that reply, appreciate it. I've got some food for thought now and I know what to work towards now.
    Cheers mate.

NP and welcome to the ranks of great DK Tanks

If you are curious, I just posted a Blood priorities system in the Theory and Mechanics forum, as I had mentioned before. I'll see about a frost one soon, it shouldn't be much different really.

+ Reply to Thread