Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Lord Jaraxxus Encounter

Here's a very valuable tip for you: If you are a mage and a raidleader, don't forget about Nether power and wipe the raid for an hour. It will make you look a bit like an idiot. Lesson earned in blood last night. After I started stealing the buff however, two-shot.

fights all about execution pretty fun though. we only had one mage but it seems like if you have a few mages to spell steal his buff the adds will be much easier to take down.

oh and stunning the infernals while they do there aoe will interrupt it, super helpful for when it lands on the melee, never used charge so much in one fight hehe.

Very easy encounter, 2 shot it on 25 man. For those of you who don't have a mage in the raid a priest can dispel the buff aswell.

Not to mention saving a shieldslam or two for when he gets his stacks of the buff...
    By the way due to his fel fireball cooldown a single warrior MT can interrupt it every single time.
    "Yes." - Captain Obvious

fireball can be interrupted using shield slam also.. so prot warrior MT on Jaraxxus makes things pretty easy.. we 1 shotted him on 10 man with a 30 sec re-cap on tactics.

MT - Prot
    OT - druid
    healers - prst (on prot), pally (on druid), druid (raid + tanks)

melee - rogue, ret pally
    range - mage x2, lock

keep the dispells up and stay out of the fire. OT picked up mistresses and infernals, range burned them down..didnt bother with banish.

healing not to hard, even on incinerate as long as the player called it out.

gets a bit chaotic but not a significant challenge.

personally i think the Jormunger twins is harder.
    Belgariad: EU : Lightnings Blade. Once a Tank. Always a Tank.

Took us 3 attempts on 25 man and thats cause I decided to test if I could spell reflect the fireball (of course I can't, duh). Otherwise we might have one shot it... who knows. Seems kinda ridiculous that they are throwing encounters that are so easy at us (Disclaimer: easy for people who just beat yogg and are rather well geared).

MT - prot war (me)
    OT - prot pally
    5 healers, 7 melee dps, 11 ranged dps

Whenever the buff came up we had the mages spellsteal, the shamans purge and myself shield slamming. Buff dissappeared in 3 seconds or so.

Kill the adds when they come up, all dps but 2 interrupts (2 rogues) for mistress... just ranged for infernals. The 2 interrupting rogues used a quick rotation, calling it on vent, no big deal there. It's not frequent enough to really worry about. We probably could have done with just myself and one rogue.

Found it easier to banish a couple infernals at first just to control things a bit. Basically since they run all over, dpsing one with the other two banished meant a LOT less aoe damage going around, and given our healer light comp, it works well. Remember you can unbanish things now.

The only time the incinerate flesh went off was after our kill hah. Just make sure people are spread but no one is on the other side of the map. We focused on keeping it to a semi-circle so that the healers were almost always in range of anyone with the incinerate.

I honestly think the first fight in the instance is harder.
    Last edited by dadricvertanis; 08-13-2009 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Added info.
    "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."

lol ye.. same for us..killed him..everyone looking at loot... incinerate flesh goes off... everyone on fire.
    Belgariad: EU : Lightnings Blade. Once a Tank. Always a Tank.

WE actually wiped 3 times on the beasts portion yesterday and one shot Lord Jaraxxus. I really thought maybe it was going to be a raid awareness issue with my crew.. but between me and the two rogues we never missed a fireball (maybe once) and they are timed out far enough the rogue could have probably done it alone.

I hope Hardmodes are going to be hard.

Hey guys - first post... long time reader/tanker :P
    anyways this is solo tankable 10man

not solo tankable

We downed him in 10 man last night and I was one of the tanks and in my opinion it is not solo tankable.

It's possible that with good gear and great healers the MT could tank boss and a mistress of Pain, but he would be unable to pick up the 3 Infernals that spawn. Picking up the Infernals requires a fairly good amount of effort and running around.

Tanking the boss is pretty easy and the fel fireball can be shut down solo by a warrior tank, but as mentioned above it's dicey with a 12 sec CD on bash and the fireball on a 10 sec CD w/ a 2 sec cast. On the plus side, you KNOW it's coming every time, he *never* waits more than a second to cast it.

For picking up the infernals, the biggest thing that made a difference in our successful attempt was STUN them. I would charge the first, then watch where the 2nd ball was headed and pull the first one over to where second landed. When third came I'd range taunt & Heroic throw, once they're all up on you, shockwave to stun them. When they would then jump and start channeling their Hellfire aoe, we did NOT interrupt that, just moved out of the aoe and unloaded on them. If people move then it's basically like free dps time where no one's getting hit.

My question is... What's different in the Heroic mode? In Trial of the Grand Crusader does everyone just hit harder and have more health or are there new abilities and gimmicks to deal with?

As far as I know from doing both of the encounters one after the other, there is no difference in the encounter. Those infernals are a pain in 25 man.

Well to clarify we started out with a MT (me) and an OT but the ot died 20 seconds into fight, we had a rogue take over kicking dutys so that i could concentrate on mistress and infernals, we had no problems with these, got spikey with mistress and her pain spike but i just used CD's. we never really had more than 2 infernals up as i would taunt them for melee to help on and interrupt. So i guess we didnt really solo tank this as we started with two tanks but having one die so early on - boss was still 90%hp - i figured doin that much of the fight with one tank would mean doin the whole fight with one tank. We saw two full phases of both infernals and mistress with just me tanking. Very solo tankable

Could this be confirmed please?

I was in ToC/10, and I believe I was able to Spell Reflect the Fel Firebal, I cannot comfirm with logs because I didnt get a chance to check through them.

But if this is Spell Reflectable (warriors), It is possible to spell reflect every Fel Fireball on 25/10 as it was always on CD when I used it (Incase an interrupt was missed)

It's mentioned a number of times to keep the mistress of pain and the infernals away from the raid, but I see no reason to do so. Looking over our combat logs it seems as though with the exception of the spinning pain spike the mistress only attacked the tank. It seemed as though the only AoE damage done by the infernal was after it charged someone.

Am I missing something, or is not a better strategy to tank the mistress, and infernals right on top of Lord Jaraxxus?

Quote Originally Posted by zestymordant View Post
    It's mentioned a number of times to keep the mistress of pain and the infernals away from the raid, but I see no reason to do so. Looking over our combat logs it seems as though with the exception of the spinning pain spike the mistress only attacked the tank. It seemed as though the only AoE damage done by the infernal was after it charged someone.

Am I missing something, or is not a better strategy to tank the mistress, and infernals right on top of Lord Jaraxxus?
    Mistress of Pain has a AoE melee attack that ignores armor. She uses it frequently:
    Shivan Slash: A whirling attack that deals 75% weapon damage and pierces through armor.

As far as the infernals, if you keep them away from the raid, it gives your DPS/healers a little more warning before they charge.

If you have your raid positioned in a circle... then you want to keep the adds somewhat "in the middle" so all the ranged can hit em. The infernals have very little health, so its unnecessary for the melee to peel from the boss.

Also, you don't want to tank the mobs in the melee because Jaraxxus has an unavoidable AoE as well as fell lightning that can put uneeded pressure on the OT.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritus View Post
    Mistress of Pain has a AoE melee attack that ignores armor. She uses it frequently:
    Shivan Slash: A whirling attack that deals 75% weapon damage and pierces through armor.

As far as the infernals, if you keep them away from the raid, it gives your DPS/healers a little more warning before they charge.

If you have your raid positioned in a circle... then you want to keep the adds somewhat "in the middle" so all the ranged can hit em. The infernals have very little health, so its unnecessary for the melee to peel from the boss.

Also, you don't want to tank the mobs in the melee because Jaraxxus has an unavoidable AoE as well as fell lightning that can put uneeded pressure on the OT.
    Do you have a log showing her hitting someone besides the tank with Shivan Slash? Here is ours, and nobody but the tank (me) was hit with Shivan Slash.
    World of Logs - Real Time Raid Analysis

Edit: I should also note that the mistress of pain was tanked right on top of the melee for that log.
    Last edited by zestymordant; 08-15-2009 at 04:47 PM.

We didn't tank her in the melee... so our WoL only reflects the OT taking the Shivan Slash damage.

However, your log clearly shows that none of the melee were hit. Therefore:

You have to ask whether increasing the likelihood of Fel Lightning, Fel Streak, and Legion Flame on your OT is worth the incidental AoE damage from melee.

Is there anyone else willing to confirm that Shivan Slash is single target? If so, I will change the Wall O' Text.
    Last edited by Spiritus; 08-15-2009 at 05:22 PM.

Does the Fel Lighting increase in damage... i didn't think it did, but on other sites i looked at it says it increase 50%,, and in 25 man it seemed more deadly

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritus View Post
    We didn't tank her in the melee... so our WoL only reflects the OT taking the Shivan Slash damage.

However, your log clearly shows that none of the melee were hit. Therefore:

You have to ask whether increasing the likelihood of Fel Lightning, Fel Streak, and Legion Flame on your OT is worth the incidental AoE damage from melee.

Is there anyone else willing to confirm that Shivan Slash is single target? If so, I will change the Wall O' Text.
    Im almost certain I killed a couple of casters with that Shivan Slash.

I'll be checking logs soon.

UPDATE:

Yep.
    Here it is: World of Logs - Real Time Raid Analysis

I killed one of our warlocks (Wollio) with Shivan Slash.

Kaeldorn and me (Tordek) where OTs on Jaraxxus.
    Last edited by chinoquezada; 08-17-2009 at 07:39 AM.
    Prot/Ret Paladin
    <Mors Certa> of Kil'jaeden
    http://www.morscerta.com/

Quote Originally Posted by chinoquezada View Post
    Im almost certain I killed a couple of casters with that Shivan Slash.

I'll be checking logs soon.

UPDATE:

Yep.
    Here it is: World of Logs - Real Time Raid Analysis

I killed one of our warlocks (Wollio) with Shivan Slash.

Kaeldorn and me (Tordek) where OTs on Jaraxxus.
    Looking at your log, it seems like the mistress of pain got away from Kaeldorn. The Shivan Slash was not an AoE ability your warlock happened to get by, he was the mistress' target (he dodged, then was hit for 14.2K in the previous two attacks). All the casters that died to the mistress had aggro at the time.