Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Lord Jaraxxus Encounter

My guild recently downed 25 Jaraxxus with eight ranged DPS, six healers, three tanks and assorted melee.

Jaraxxus was tanked in the middle of the room by the MT, melee stood behind him.

Our raid healers stood at the four cardinal points of the star in the room (corresponding to the three entrance gates and the large gate where the beasts enter).

Our tank healer stood near the tank.

Our OT healer was mobile (following the OTs).

We split our DPS into four groups of two who stacked at the smaller points of the star. They kept up DBMs range check at all times (15 yards). This setup kept chain lightning from ever hitting more than two people.

Our elem and enh shams purged constantly, and our mages spellstole Nether Power as often as possible.

During the fight, our OT picked up the mistresses and had the nearest two ranged DPS groups burn them down.

Then our second OT would pick up the infernals as they spawned and hold them near one or two ranged groups. If at any point the infernals charged the melee (when they turn into a little ball and fly at someone) our melee would peel off and DPS the other infernals down.

Anyone with Legion Fire would run to the outer wall as fast as possible (this was challenging for the melee) and we always had at least two healers in range for Incinerate Flesh (which often targeted a healer themselves).

We downed on our first attempt after implementing this strategy though it was sloppy. We probably spent about 45 minutes overall on this boss. My guild is not a hardcore raiding guild.

The most important aspect of this fight seemed to be avoiding legion fire and the infernal's AoE (I can't recall the name at this moment) as well as interrupting Jaraxxus' firebolts and keeping him without any nether power. We were unable to determine the actual distance that his chain lightning would jump as some people reported being hit even with nobody showing on their DBM range meter (at fifteen yards). Good luck to you all and I hope it goes easily for you too.

Our guild downed Jaxx on 25 today. I'll be updating my wall of text shortly.

We just did this a few hours on 10 man. It was fairly easy, got it our second attempt? I think.

Pretty much the only thing that's really annoying about it is the infernals, but they give you more that enough time to unload some threat on them before they jump, so you shouldn't have to worry too much about DPS pulling them while you're waiting for them to run back to you.

We also used the "Fire on the wall" method, but towards the end it was kinda just ending up everywhere due to it getting a bit chaotic.

For those that are comfortable with your healers, this can be easily solo tanked provided you're up to date in gear and everyone understands the encounter. Our DK was tanking it and took a bad spike and dropped right before the first mistress died. Close to the end we just focused on him and let the mistress and infernals spawn, as we were already short 1 DPS due to a prolonged DC and our other tank being down. Ended up having Jaraxxus, a Mistress and 2 sets of Infernals on me when he finaly died (think we were close to another mistress spawning as well ><).

Wouldn't recommend it as a normal strategy, but just a confirmation on the option for those who prefer the extra DPS.

This fight is stupid easy. I'm really hoping the next 3 boss encounters pump it up. Atleast normal Ulduar fights had some semblance of challenge. This is all zzzzzzzzzz.

We had surprisingly little trouble with this fight tonight. We struggled for a few hours last week on the beasts and just couldn't get the coordination to kill the worms. Tonight we got the rhythm going and got the beasts after a few attempts and took a break to let the RL get a strat for our demon friend. We spread out in a half circle, MT just took him in the middle and I grabbed the adds as they came. We dps the adds down each time and then got back n boss. I honestly dunno if we even worried about the flames and just called out each time someone got the incinerate flesh debuff. I got the debuff myself OT'ing at one point. It was really rather easy or we got lucky. Just seems to be about grabbing adds timely and having strong healers.

Wall of Text Updated.

My guild took down Jaraxxus10 tonight.

The group makeup was as follows.

Prot Paladin
    Holy Paladin
    Holy Priest
    Shadow Priest
    DPS DK Blood
    DPS DK Frost
    Tank DK Blood
    Resto Druid
    Fire Mage
    Elemental Shaman

I won't get too much into his abilities or those of his adds since those seem to have been adequately covered already. This post mostly has to do with the strategy that worked for us.

The first thing to note is that both paladins were running fire resistance aura. We had the two death knight DPS on Jaraxxus for the entire fight getting a fire resist aura from myself (the main tank for this fight) and the holy paladin near the ranged to make sure they continually got it as well.

For this fight I (Prot Paladin) tanked Jaraxxus in the center of the room while the DK Tank took care of wrangling the adds as they spawned. As I said before we kept the two DPS death knights on Jaraxxus throughout the entire encounter and let ranged take care of the adds.

When the encounter started we immediately blew heroism as per our observations the beginning is the longest time you get without adds spawning. Once the adds began spawning our DK tank would pick them up and the ranged DPS would take them out and then return to the boss.

We had myself and the two DPS death knights as well as the mage taking turns interrupting the Fel Fire Ball do minimize the damage on myself. There were a couple of times where the death knights went to assist in getting an add down that the Fel Fire Ball did get through. It is important that the dot it leaves gets cleansed ASAP. It ticks for about 6K damage. I have cleanse key bound and was able to easily cleanse myself before it ticked at all both times.

DPS: The DPS was pretty straight forward. As I said before the two death knights remained on Jaraxxus the entire fight unless called by the death knight tank to assist with adds if he felt that it was taking too long for the ranged to get them down. Once the adds were down the ranged immediately started to unload on Jaraxxus.

Tanking: The tanking for this fight isn't terribly complicated. The main tank can just hold Jaraxxus in the center of the room. The off tank will want to keep the adds away from the rest of the raid at all times. It's probably better to have your melee stay on Jaraxxus if your not in a melee heavy group as all the adds have attacks that can very quickly start to kill off your melee if they stay close to them for too long.

The Mistress of Pain is a single add and is easily picked up and handled until she is downed.

The Infernals are a little more complicated to pick up because this is a multiple add spawn similar to the Jormungars that spawn from the snow mounds on the way to Hodir. Rather than spawn all at once they will spawn slowly until there are five of them(I'm unsure on this number but I believe it is correct. If it's not please correct it.) In anycase these adds despite their numbers only have 80K health each and can be quickly and easily dealt with.

Healing: During this fight we assigned the druid and paladin healers to the tank. This was especially useful because the druid casting wild growth on the tank kept the two death knights healed up as well from whatever collateral damage they were taking. The priest took care of raid healing which included the off tank and also healed the raid members that got the Incinerate Flesh debuff as well. Additionally we placed the shadow priest in the same group as our healers so she could use Hymm of Hope near the end of the encounter to regenerate their mana and make for a smooth finish.
    Last edited by Anisah; 08-12-2009 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Underlined a correction request

One thing I noticed as a Paly healer on this encounter, I had my beacon on the MT and when I went to heal the person with the Incinerate Flesh debuff, the tank would not receive any beacon heals since the original heal was absorbed.

A suggestion could be throw your beacon on the member with Incin Flesh and heal the tank, however it usually only took 4 holy lights to remove the debuff (under 6 seconds) and other healers can normally keep the tank up for this time.

We also had our healers spread out in the 4 corners, with a couple of extras scattered in the group.

Overall rather easy, ended up 2 shotting it (1st attempt Fel Fireball owned the tank)

Taken from original post:
    "Fel Inferno (Channeled AOE, 15 Yard):
    Jaraxxus inflicts 3.5K Fire damage every second for 6 seconds"

Can we get a definite answer that this is indeed the spell being channeled by the infernals and not a different spell ? I am asking because i am confused by the description that says "Jaraxus inflicts", which if it's datamined, it should be accurate enough. Can we get a confirmation that it can't be interrupted ?

What about Curse of Nether ?
    "Touch of Jaraxxus: The Touch of Jaraxxus inflicts 3900 to 4100 Shadow damage for 12 sec and causes nearby players to be effected by...
    Curse of the Nether:
    Inflicts 4388 to 4612 Shadow damage every 1 sec for 15 sec.

Can we get a confirmation that curse of nether can be decursed ?
    What about the intital debuff (Touch of Jaraxus) that places Curse of Nether ? Is it a curse too, can it be removed prior to the full 12sec duration ?

Finally we are doing Coliseum on Sundays, so i can't get any logs till then. If someone could email me 10man or 25man logs (extracted combatlog) i would be able to get valuable info from it and post here any findings. If anyone is willing to do that, please compress it and send it to Gorr30@yahoo.com Thank you.

Its confirmed that Fel Inferno is the "Hellfire" like effect that the Infernals cast.

Touch of Jaraxxus/Curse of the Nether wasn't seen by any of our decursers. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but it is suspect.

Spritus,

I think we had bad RNG because we managed to watch the same video.. And pretty much referenced exactly the same locations where the abilities could be seen (lmao), except for that I never posted what I observed here on the 8th when I took 30 minutes of my life looking the video over trying to nitpick good locations in the video where the abilities could best be seen. There were a couple things that you posted that I wasn't able pick out of it or verify, In all thanks for being a nerd and maybe we'll have more rng experiences like this in the future.

lmao

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritus View Post
    Its confirmed that Fel Inferno is the "Hellfire" like effect that the Infernals cast.

Touch of Jaraxxus/Curse of the Nether wasn't seen by any of our decursers. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but it is suspect.
    Thank you. Maybe we'll see it in heroic mode, since PTR beasts were not exactly like what we got on live. E.g. Snobolds had 200k HP on PTR if my memory doesn't fail me.

Got through this last night.

Here's how we did it.

Warrior MT, Paladin OT for Infernals, DK OT for Mistress. The OT roles could have been swapped with no change in strategy.

Healers on compass points. Ranged spread out between them.

We had 4 melee on the boss full time (MT, Rogue, Fury Warrior and Enh Shaman) for interrupts and dispells.

DPS target burn order was mistress, then boss. We pulled the mistress to the center of the room on top of the boss and burned her down. Looking at the fight afterwards, the OT on the mistress took about the same amount of damage as the MT, those mistresses need to die FAST or it's a lot of extra healing.

Warlocks can banish the infernals after they come out of the ball, and when the banish falls, the infernals go back to their tank. Paladin stuns work the same way. So we just controlled the infernals best we could. I think that infernal control is going to be the only thing I change for the next run. 2 warlocks and 4 paladins in the raid, so we had ample interrupts for hellfire. Cast interrupts don't work, only CC type effects work. Otherwise we didn't bother dps'ing the infernals, they seemed to fall apart eventually.

The mages spellstole, the shaman and 2 shadow priests purged. I didn't try to regulate who got what, those buffs just have to come off fast. If you get those buffs off fast, you don't have to worry about the chain lightning as much, it's kinda weak if the boss isn't buffed. We were a bit ranged heavy last night, so 15 yard separation wouldn't have gotten everyone in range anyway.

Legion Fire, for melee they need to turn and run out. For ranged, just count to 6, then run. That leaves one neat pile of fire on the floor.

Getting people to not run when they had that ignite flesh debuff was the bigger problem, they'd run out of heal range and blow up...sigh.

Infernal damage was also a problem, but we know how to mitigate that now.

As far as "Touch of Jaraxxus",

I "think" I was able to observe what it looked liked in the same video @ points :30 and @ point :55 since it is an instant cast ability and it appears to come out of his hands.
    Last edited by tsurk; 08-12-2009 at 08:35 AM.

We tanked this last night and this is what I noticed.

(Forgive if I don't name the spells out properly, I'm typing this up fast from work).

Group Comp:
    - DK MT
    - DK OT
    - Mage
    - Warlock
    - Hunter
    - Warrior (Fury)
    - Rogue
    - Pally (Holy)
    - Druid (Resto)
    - Priest (Holy)

Positioning:
    http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/1042/jarraxus.jpg

NOTES:
    "Green means GO! Red means STOP!"
    - We made that up as a joke because people would see a debuff on them and instantly run out, more than once they ran out with the red on them. Obviously this wasn't a good thing.

- Interrupts are a must, but I ate more than a couple of the fel fireballs, if they do land, make sure you have someone quick on dispells.

- The infernals like to turn into a ball and shoot at a random member, when they land on that raid member, they start channeling the warlock hellfire type aoe. THESE CAN BE STUNNED AND INTERRUPTED! We had our druid healer even warstomp one. With DK tanks, you can also deathgrip them in the middle of this. I think I even managed to strangulate one, but I didn't confirm. On one of our wipes, I even noticed our warlock successfully drain-life tank one.

- Counterspells did not work on the interrupts on Jarax.

- The infernal AOE damage isn't much, I was tanking jaraxxus and 2 infernals while the melee dps beat them down with splash damage. Though I wouldn't recommend doing this, as it definetly made the encounter harder.

- The maiden seems to be the hardest thing about the fight, the melee got rocked in about 3 seconds on her form the WW type attack she does. It was also crucial that you heal the person she is jumping towards fast, she likes to suplex people. (LOL)

- A healer can easily heal themselves through the incinerate flesh debuff on 10-man. Our pally healer worked best for healing the people with debuff as he said his bacon-of-light was still healing me as he removed the shields.

- Heal your OT fast, the maiden can drop a tank very quickly.

Hope that helps.

- Grendahlia <Cuddly Wuddlies> Uther
    Last edited by Grend; 08-12-2009 at 08:52 AM.

Our guild downed it last night on the third try. Its a pretty easy event if you target a few main points.

First, we only used one OT. He got both the mistress and the infernals. As long as ranged deeps switched as soon as possible, it was controllable

Fell Fireball MUST be interrupted.

Your healers have to be on the ball to remove the healing debuff. Range is an issue. A strong healing core will work great. We did it with 6 healers but you can probably use 5.

DPS on Jarax is not the priority. Get the adds down and you will be fine.

Make sure you move the boss out of the flames and away from volcanoes.
    Deeps for show..... tank for dough.....

Did this one 10 man yesterday. A quick note on Fel Fireball it has about a 10 second cooldown with a 2 second cast time. They had me MT it because of Shield Bash, but that has a 12 second cooldown making it pretty damn hairy sometimes.

If you have someone else to sic on interrupt duty that would be very helpful.

Downing the succubi is important... imagine Auriaya's feral defender. It's even more annoying and actually deadly. I guess the achievements can give you a clue how to approach these encounters: burn one worm down, kill all snobols, and don't leave maiden's up.

Got him down on 2nd try tonight, we used three tanks just to be safe and it's not a dps race anyways. Tank + 1 guy on interrupts, don't stand in fire, pick up the loots.
    Crommi | Archaic Order | Lightning's Blade EU

Things to watch out per role (25 man)

MT
    - Tank the red dude in the dead center of the room.
    - Call out purges when you see the 10 buffs asap or its gonna hurt.

OT(s)
    - Be ready for the Mistress of Pain, its a hard to miss portal (very similar to the one that happens on one of the Ogri'la dailies)
    - The Infernal Volcano shoots 3 black/greenish balls in the air, where they land, the Infernal will land.
    - The Infernals charge random raid members and then stand there chanelling an AoE. Taunting wont do a damn thing. I don't advise moving to the charge location.
    - It is possible to get targeted by Fel Legion. Move away from anyone's path when/if you get it.

Melee DPS
    - You will be dpsing the boss all the time during this fight.
    - You can (and will) be targeted with Fel Legion. This means you have to run away asap or you'll burn the other melee.
    - You can be targeted by the Infernal's charge. At that point I would advice for all melee to move away from the boss to avoid the AoE damage until you can get visual confirmation that an interrupt has occured.
    - ^ If you can interrupt the Infernal, do so.

Ranged DPS
    - You will be changing targets between boss, Mistress of Pain and Infernal.
    - Spread out in a circle around the boss.
    - Move away from the Infernal's charge AoE and interrupt from range if possible.
    - Move away on Fel Legion.

Healers
    - If you are healing the OT(s), try and follow them.
    - Move away from the Infernal's charge AoE and interrupt from range if possible.
    - Move away on Fel Legion.
    Prot/Ret Paladin
    <Mors Certa> of Kil'jaeden
    http://www.morscerta.com/

Oh and one thing, it seems like when volcano spawns next to a wall, it cannot necessarily spawn all adds. Since infernals are popping in 360 degrees around it, having half of it blocked by wall prevents the spawn. Or at least that's my theory of what happened when volcano spawned only one infernal.
    Crommi | Archaic Order | Lightning's Blade EU