+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 3.2 Unholy Tank Spec Please?

3.2 Unholy Tank Spec Please?

Um i was just wondering if anyone knows a good 3.2 updated spec for Unholy Tanks. TY

Unholy tanking is not viable atm. Use frost for mitigation and Blood for effective health. this is until an effective build has been found and some tweaks done. But currently the damage you take as a unholy tank is just too high to be good for you. but this is also endgame tanking we are talking about. If tanking naxx you could get away with an unholy tank build, but your threat would be horrendous if you have decent dps with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumurak View Post
    Unholy tanking is not viable atm.
    All DK specs are viable, however, there is a common mistake to apply Unholy builds against all content. I employ Unholy for specific situations, usually where the damage is magic heavy and thus mitgated more effectively by Unholy. Hodir is a great example... and I did it fine last night. Too many folks apply Unholy against physical or add heavy fights and then comment they're dying, when it's the choice to employ the spec against the worst possible content for Unholy. Play to your spec's strengths.

The bigger problem I'm seeing is the combination of Frost Presence, avoidance and other nerfs have significantly reduced DK tanking survival. I had to tell my healers, and I still get eaten as they're very used to my surviving something that would kill most tanks. Going to be a bit before they adjust, but it will be measured in repair bills, wipes and running back.

Unfortunantly I have to disagree. unholy tanking is not viable. unless you are running 2 tanking specs (which I never do but entirely up to the group you are used to running with) It just isn't. Why? Because you are stuck with a single tanking build for all tanking. While I do agree with the above statement. It's flawed in the fact that it is based off someone running 2 different tanking sets. Not everyone does this as I personally have a dps and tanking set for my dk. For obvious reasons. But I highly suggest you take a look at the newly updated dk end game tanking math done on elitistjerks. The numbers speak for itself, unholy tanking....

Currently has threat issues
    Currently has Survivalability issues
    Currently is great at AE like usual.
    Currently lacks the runic power to maintain MT'ing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumurak View Post
    Unfortunantly I have to disagree. unholy tanking is not viable. unless you are running 2 tanking specs (which I never do but entirely up to the group you are used to running with) It just isn't. Why? Because you are stuck with a single tanking build for all tanking.
    Respec, 50g, tops? Most folks dress up for interviews, wear shorts/t-shirts when it's hot and get an umbrella when it's raining. If you know you're going to be walking into something that Unholy can't adequate perform in, you're making the mistake long before the pull.

You are burying unholy by setting conditions that other players may or may not agree with themselves. Dual tank specs? Option. What content? Something to consider. Gear? Unholy favors avoidance to offset the reduced mitigation talents.

BTW, I enjoy reading EJ theorycrafting, but it's a resource, not a ironclad bible upon how to play.

I have been using the unholy survival spec for tanking Firefighter, HM Vessax. Works great on those fights especially. And since I'm running a dps spec atm, so our feral and I can take turns tanking, on everything else too. lol

I do not have any threat issues.
    Its AoE still works OK on trash even with the change to UB.
    I used to tank all of the hard modes in blood prior to this spec. I find this one better for them. My healers like it a great deal better as well.

I prefer to judge by what goes on in my screen, by what my healers and DPS'ers say over what someones numbers say. I honestly thing you could tank any general content with any spec and do fine. Hardmodes, you will need to decide the best spec for the job as you go. Some weeks I run two tank specs, some weeks one DPS, one Tank

Honestly, Nez, I don't understand how you don't have threat issues with that spec. Unholy's big problem is threat (IMHO). I've been an Unholy tank for a long time now and I had to go Blood just to regain a threat edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Esch View Post
    Respec, 50g, tops? Most folks dress up for interviews, wear shorts/t-shirts when it's hot and get an umbrella when it's raining. If you know you're going to be walking into something that Unholy can't adequate perform in, you're making the mistake long before the pull.

You are burying unholy by setting conditions that other players may or may not agree with themselves. Dual tank specs? Option. What content? Something to consider. Gear? Unholy favors avoidance to offset the reduced mitigation talents.

BTW, I enjoy reading EJ theorycrafting, but it's a resource, not a ironclad bible upon how to play.
    To clarify a few things here......

I never stated EJ was the be all end all bible. What i did say is you can't argue with math if it's done correctly. And it matters not if it was EJ, or the damn Hello Kitty Adventure Island forums.

I'm not burying unholy tanking. i do believe my opening statement in this thread was that it is not viable atm (AT THE MOMENT).

Your statements at the cost of respecing is redundant and unrealistic. While it can be done. No raid group i know of is going to wait for you to change out certain gear, glyphs and specs based on a fight. unless it's a fight you are progressing on and have been working on for awhile. But standard farm running? Highly unlikely.

I also verified your information in my post.....
    While I do agree with the above statement.
    But simply made the comment that it was flawed. in most cases, not all but most. Unless you are in a hardcore raiding guild, and pushing content edge. Your suggestion is more hampering on a raid than helpful. Depending on the situation itself. But thats a given fact that all tanks know by now.

We all know to carry different sets of gear, have different specs planned, and certain consumables for example. But when you are off progression and looking to kill several mobs in a night. And you do not carry 2 different tanking specs, depending on how your groups rolls and thier patience. it's just not realistic. And my statements are based on that.

Unholy tanking just ins't viable atm. But the changes coming for them and the new spec designs will change that. But until then you are fighting fire with alcohol.

+ Reply to Thread