+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Coliseum Northrend Beasts

When my guild did this on 25man the only problem we had was in P1 with Gormok. We started with 2 tanks that would taunt at 3 stacks. The tanks ended up dying fairly fast. So then they taunted at 2 stacks, still died. Then we went with 3 tanks taunting at 3 stacks, and they still died. Then we went to 3 tanks taunting at 2 stacks, 2 tanks died and the 3rd tanked didn't die till his 13th stack, so its pretty much a healing problem my guess. We eventually made it past P1 and it was all fun from there and we downed them all! It's a fun fight for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Saphiria View Post
    When my guild did this on 25man the only problem we had was in P1 with Gormok. We started with 2 tanks that would taunt at 3 stacks. The tanks ended up dying fairly fast. So then they taunted at 2 stacks, still died. Then we went with 3 tanks taunting at 3 stacks, and they still died. Then we went to 3 tanks taunting at 2 stacks, 2 tanks died and the 3rd tanked didn't die till his 13th stack, so its pretty much a healing problem my guess. We eventually made it past P1 and it was all fun from there and we downed them all! It's a fun fight for sure.
    Yeah....tell your healers to step it up cause that's bad....

We just got this done tonight on 10man, thanks once again to the TankSpot video and a few PTR videos. Our biggest problem was solving the debuff issue on the 2nd phase, a lot of our raid was having difficultly understanding how it works, thankfully we had a few catch on pretty quick and call out for people to move when needed. Was just a pain when I would be the only one with the Fire debuff and a healer would need a cure from me, yet I'm dragging the mobile worm around to get to them, trying not to face it towards anyone.

After about 6 or so attempts, it just clicked and we got the achievement for the duo timely kill, then took down Icehowl.

Is it just me though or is Icehowl's damage really spikey?

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    possible enrage timer?
    on ptr we hit enrage around 25% with 18 people in the 25 man including a third not needed tank.

not sure if it is an overall enrage or just an enrage from the time you engage the last guy.

Hello having trouble with the healers going oom? well i had but not anymore - We found out that the first phase in the coliseum you can actually disarm him or dismantle and he will stop impaling the tanks taking a great load of your healers if you time this right you can end up having 60-70%more mana for your healers - I havnt seen this anywere else so i am sorry if i havnt noticed

Does disarming him actually stop the impale? or just lowers his melee hits?

Quote Originally Posted by Saphiria View Post
    Does disarming him actually stop the impale? or just lowers his melee hits?
    Yes i stops him impaling for the time he is disarmed and lowers his meele damage

Lovely, we had 6 warriors ( 2 tanks, 4 DPS ). Disarm for the win.
    Lyco - Guild Master of Prime

nice vid - just downed him with the guild after about 4 wipes, fun encounter really. however, what addons are used in this video? besides from IceHUD? I can hardly find any updated addons, thanks in advance

Yep, that's what our guild found out too, hope they don't change it because it's an awesome conservation strategy <--- in response to the disarm theory in P1

My guild found an important little tidbit for the Icehowl fight.

When you get knocked to the walls and Icehowl charges someone, DO NOT hug the wall as you run away.

Why? Because there are pillars that stick out from the wall a short distance. If you simply strafe to the side, you won't see it, will get stuck on the pillar, and will eat the charge.

My guild found this out the hard way last night when we had 2 separate heartrending wipes with Icehowl at <50% because of it.

(We got him down right after, though.)

Last night my casual-ish guild downed 10-man NB..here's what we did...

P1-All DPS focused on the Snobolds right off the bat, including the current non-tanking tank. Once all of them were down then we DPS'd down the boss. Fairly easy. Tanks switched initially after 2 stacks, then as soon as the current bleed wore off. Fairly easy, however ignoring the Snobolds increases the raid damage dramatically.

P2-In theory, this is insanely complicated. In practice? Not so much. Keep spread out, and if you get the poison during the first part, run to the kiting tank. And if you get the flame during the second part...run to the kiting tank. Run within 10 yards, wait a second and run out. Once Acidmaw dies, the damage done actually increases, although the fight becomes much easier tactically.

P3-Err...easy? Hunters watch to tranq shot just in case, but it shouldn't be necessary. The Frost Breath can be Blinked and probably CoS'd out of, however it doesn't do that much damage anyway. Keep people topped up, as the Crash jump does a fair amount of damage and can gib people.

It's a lot less complicated than I thought it would be. But it's a fight where if you don't do it right, the difficulty ramps up dramatically. It's an execution, not a gear check.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerona View Post
    Icehowl came out and ran to our other tank, a DK, and killed him instantly. He looked at his combat log and saw two hits: Ferocious Butt and a melee swing in 1 second that killed him outright. He has more hp than I do and about equal stats otherwise.

Ferocious Butt hits for 27,000.
    Melee swing hits for 15,000. (9000 overkill) (24,000 total)

27,000 + 24,000 = 51,000 damage in one second.

We boggled at our combat logs for a while and called it a night.
    Corev/Aerona - our MT is DK as well and man we hit the exact same thing last night in 10-Man mode - Ferocious Butt/Melee = Dead Tank - then he ran to our Druid and did the same thing shortly after.

We cleared it 25-Man last week and just got around to 10-Man last night......so Ferocious Butt + instant melee wasn't mentioned by any of you that cleared this 10-Man. I'm hoping a bugged instance or something triggered a Hard Mode? Anyone have input on Ferocious Butt + melee in less than 1 second?

It hurt. Our DK MT is very well geared (25-Ulduar) and Icehowl was not enraged...and we cleared pretty quicly so I can't imagine some soft enrage occurred. So Aerona/Corev you aren't the only ones to see it

Any insight would be appreciated.

Edit: Everyone got out of the way from the Charge and he was stunned. Very sure of this.

Edit again: Ok did it again tonight and it was cake. Didn't have the Ferocious Butt issue so I'm assuming it was bugged.
    Last edited by Shadowjj; 08-10-2009 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Addition - spelling.

Cause of the debuff

It doesn't seem to be mentioned here, so I thought I'd add it. We were increasing out frequency of swaps in order to survive on Gormok (didn't know about dismantle/disarm yet). We are well geared, but were getting eaten by the debuff as he was quickly up to +60% damage. We didn't realize one very key aspect: The debuff is increased every time the threat target changes.

Therefore, you have to balance an increasing debuff damage by carrying stacks vs. a flat damage increase. You also have to have disciplined dps not pulling aggro, obviously.

Having learned this, we are eager to get back in and try again, as we were causing mana issues by swapping at 2 stacks by the end of the night and not getting into the 'groove' on the worms. (We are hoping to try all dps on the grounded worm and minimal kiting so we can get debuffs off easier.)

P.S. Anyone know the specifics of how different hard mode is? Can't find a thread that points that out.

Lore's Addons

I was just wondering if that pally was Lore. What exactly are the addons she/he is running. I know one is Ice HuD but all the others i'm not familar with and the look like they could work for my healadin and Hunter.

There is a whole thread on Lore's UI bloodfox, search for it.

Quote Originally Posted by DKUgolina View Post
    We are well geared, but were getting eaten by the debuff as he was quickly up to +60% damage. We didn't realize one very key aspect: The debuff is increased every time the threat target changes.

Therefore, you have to balance an increasing debuff damage by carrying stacks vs. a flat damage increase. You also have to have disciplined dps not pulling aggro, obviously.

Having learned this, we are eager to get back in and try again, as we were causing mana issues by swapping at 2 stacks by the end of the night and not getting into the 'groove' on the worms.
    All this writen and you haven't understand basic principle of the fight? Debuff last 30 sec - that's 3 stacks, 4 at most, when one tank have it - switch, 2nd tank don't have debufs and tanks it while healers still heal first tank too since he will bleed a lot... First tank waits 30 sec for his debuffs to wear OFF then takes over, rinse and repeat...

If you are switching tanks after 2 stacks - no wonder how you didn't get to p2
    Mookey | GM of <RISE> Xavius [EU]

Hey, finally a fight where IMP DISARM might be worth taking for hardmode :P

Gotta say that this is surely tuned for people that come out of naxx25 as even pugs and altruns oneshot it on our server.

Quote Originally Posted by Mookey View Post
    All this writen and you haven't understand basic principle of the fight? Debuff last 30 sec - that's 3 stacks, 4 at most, when one tank have it - switch, 2nd tank don't have debufs and tanks it while healers still heal first tank too since he will bleed a lot... First tank waits 30 sec for his debuffs to wear OFF then takes over, rinse and repeat...

If you are switching tanks after 2 stacks - no wonder how you didn't get to p2
    He's referring to the stacking buff on Gormok.
    Fayre - Soldiers of Azeroth, Aggramar(EU)
    http://www.soldiersofazeroth.net/
    We are recruiting! See here for more details.

Quote Originally Posted by Evadd View Post
    we had trouble two nights ago while trying this due to ppl who got the paralytic toxin becoming immobile too quickly to get to the dreadscale tank and dying. does it seem to make sense to anyone else to have one other dps (melee, for example; someone with a decent amt of hp) on dreadscale in the beginning to pick up the burning bile debuff and having that person run to the one who gets paralytic poison? if that would work, it'd seem to make more sense than having the person who's about to be paralyzed try to run. any thoughts?
    1. You can have the tank moving only when it's necessary (only when a poison cloud spawns) and not having him being on the move all the time, that will make it easier for people to get to him (maybe you already do it like this, still just saying).

2. We are a 10man guild and we didn't have much trouble with it, if it's worse on 25man or if you just keep having trouble with this, you can try the following (haven't tested it though). Have a 3rd tank to taunt Dreadscale (when Dread is your mobile worm) for a moment and get injected with burning bile. Then have your regular Dread tank to taunt back and this injected 3rd tank can go stand kind of close to the spreaded ranged, so they can be neutralizing their paralytic toxin debuff when needed. Burning bile doesn't go away when in contact with the toxin, so your burning bile tank should be able to stand there and do his job for a rerasonable amount of time (about 25secs if i can trust our 10man logs), then rinse and repeat. If this is a warrior tank, he can be using intercept/charge to get to dread fast and intervene on some ranged to get back fast. Does it worth the trouble ? Only in 25man and only if you have trouble with intoxicated people reaching Dread's tank in time. After all, only 1 way to see if it makes things easier, trying it. Let us know if it's any good if you try.
    Last edited by Jyl; 08-11-2009 at 09:53 AM.

+ Reply to Thread