+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Coliseum Northrend Beasts

I want to pug this on 10 man so I am trying to understand this as good as possible as I will have to explain this fight to others.

First of all I hope my Naxx25 gear is decent enough. Other than that I have trouble understanding the 2nd phase a little.

I understand that there are 2 debuffs and that you need to get hit by the other debuff to negate your own debuff. When you start to DPS Acidmaw (he's on the ground first I think) the tank and randomly hit people get the slowing debuff and they have to run to the Dreadscale tank to lose the debuff.

What does the Acidmaw tank do? He has to get rid of the debuff doesn't he? He has to get out of the poison clouds.

When the mobs switch, do the tanks stay on their previous mob, or do those switch as well?

Thanks

I thank you Tankspot for uploading this useful video on youtube, but there some info I like to add.

Gorlock the impaler:
    He only has 4 Snobolt on his back, after all 4 snobolts are dead. There won't spawn any more.

Dreadscale and Razormaw:
    It's not always the Tank who gets burning bile, I was the healer and got it also regulary, this is because aggro resets after they re-emerge from the ground.

Icehowl: Athough his charge is instant kill, if you got killed by his charge he enters in a rage for 10 sec. gaining increase attack power. This should be healed through by the healers.
    He also has een beserker rage after a unknown about of time, kicking every 1 out the coleseum, forcing you start all over again.

I hope this information helps for any raids in the future for Tankspot and any other players/guilds who reads this.

we had trouble two nights ago while trying this due to ppl who got the paralytic toxin becoming immobile too quickly to get to the dreadscale tank and dying. does it seem to make sense to anyone else to have one other dps (melee, for example; someone with a decent amt of hp) on dreadscale in the beginning to pick up the burning bile debuff and having that person run to the one who gets paralytic poison? if that would work, it'd seem to make more sense than having the person who's about to be paralyzed try to run. any thoughts?

It is worth mentioning that Gormok (first boss) can be disarmed, dismantled, hunter disarm(chimera?).

While normally a slight debuff in his damage output isn't that big a deal on an easier boss like this, the larger advantage is the fact that while he is disarmed he cannot Impale the tank. This gives longer periods of times with fewer stacks, and less tank switches.

Aerona, it's likely that you were having people die to each Massive Crash. If anyone dies to it, he enrages and hits for 50% additional damage. If no one dies to it then he is stunned for ~10s. If you have people die every time he does Massive Crash then there really isn't a way to beat this fight IMO. If you only have people die to MC once (or maybe twice) then tanks and healers can all blow their cooldowns to have the tank live.

Evadd, Your raid members that got PT were not reacting fast enough. You have about 15s to move to the tank before PT will immobilize you. As stated before, one of the debuffs is always on the tank that is on the worm that's "on top". The other debuff is randomly targeted in the raid. Members of the raid need to be aware that they'll have to move to the tank of the worm that's "on top" and not get too far away from him.

Edge, We have our tanks each tank a particular 'type' rather than a specific mob. One of our tanks always tanks the one that's "on top" and the other always tanks the one that is "submerged".

Here's the write up for my guild's strat:

Jormungers

Acidmaw & Dreadscale

6.97 million HP each (25-man normal)

The two Jormungars alternate between an above ground state and a partially submerged state. One will be above ground free to move and the other will be rooted in place. When above ground, the jormunger will cast their debuff on the tank. While partially submerged, the jormunger will cast their debuff on a random raid member.

While above ground Acidmaw will melee for ~17k on a tank and use the following abilities: Acid Spew, Paralytic Bite and Slime Pool. While partially submerged Acidmaw will Acid Spit, Sweep and Paralytic Spray. Paralytic Bite/Spray afflict affected targets with the Paralytic Toxin debuff.

While above ground Dreadscale will melee for ~17k on a tank and use the following abilities: Molten Spew, Burning Bite and Slime Pool. While partially submerged Dreadscale will Fire Spite, Sweep and Burning Spray. Burning Bite/Spray afflict targets with the Burning Bile debuff.

Both Jormungars while "on top" drop a Slime Pool much like the one Grobbulus lays down. The pool starts out around 5 yard radius and expands to about 20 yards. Kite the Jormungar around the wall of the coliseum making sure that it is pointing toward the wall and not the raid.

NOTE: Every time the Jormungars submerge it is a COMPLETE aggro reset.

When the Jormungars are switching positions you will be able to see the trails they leave behind on the ground. The tanks should locate their new target and get to it ASAP. Melee should stay back and make sure the tank gets aggro before dps'ing.

Targets with Burning Bile will need to move away from each other and/or towards targets with Paralytic Toxin to clean it off. Taking any damage from the Burning Bile will remove the Paralytic Toxin. It only takes about 15 seconds for the Paralytic Toxin to completely paralyze someone.

Round 1 starts when the Jormunger come out of the gate. At this point Acidmaw is partially submerged and Dreadscale is on top. This means that Paralytic Toxin will hit random raid members via Acidmaw's Paralytic Spray and Dreadscale's Burning Bile will only be on the diamond tank. Therefore raid members hit by Paralytic Toxin will have to run next to the diamond tank (but not get in the frontal cone). Then run back to their group once the paralytic toxin has been removed.

When the Jormungers go underground, everyone collapses to the middle and waits for the tanks to pick up their target.

Although the bosses have switched whether or not they're submerged or on top, the tanks stay on the target based on whether it's 'on top' or 'submerged' not based on the mob's name. ie: Tank 1 is on Acidmaw in round 1 and Dreadscale in round two because those are the 'submerged' boss in each round.

At this point Dreadscale is partially submerged and Acidmaw is on top. This means that Paralytic Toxin will hit the tank on Acidmaw (diamond) and the Burning Bile will hit random raid members. The raid member with Burning Bile will have to run to the tank as in round 1 to remove the Paralytic Toxin from the tank (avoid the frontal cone). However, while running towards the tank and back to your group, try to avoid others so that the burning bile doesn't do too much raid damage.
    Last edited by Arianne; 08-07-2009 at 12:27 PM.

Edit: Ignore my post, Jacobus posted the same thing. It really is useful to know, though. :P

Hey, I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but when I was pugging (QQ) this raid with some friends, after the fifth attempt or so on the first phase, we noticed that after awhile, the Snobolds stopped spawning. Meaning, there is a limited number of them, and once you kill them all, no more bombs, no more fires, the rest of the phase is cake. We were watching the Tankspot video on the fight, and although they said attacking Snobolds was a priority, we found it invaluable to know why--that, after the 4 or 5 Snobolds are killed, there won't be any more of them to worry about. Just my two cents. And great job on the video, it really helped us get through it! =)

Problem with phase 2

Currently trying to run this with ten man (normal) with ten man ulduar gear. The problem we have is that the one who is tanking the moving worm (dreadmaw first then acidmaw) takes alot of damage (10k melee hits and 3k fire hits) in every 3 seconds. Is there a way to get away from this damage without using resistance (no palas or shamans in raid)

Any other advice to help with the healing?

Quote Originally Posted by Erlec View Post
    Currently trying to run this with ten man (normal) with ten man ulduar gear. The problem we have is that the one who is tanking the moving worm (dreadmaw first then acidmaw) takes alot of damage (10k melee hits and 3k fire hits) in every 3 seconds. Is there a way to get away from this damage without using resistance (no palas or shamans in raid)

Any other advice to help with the healing?
    If you're 2 healing it, go up to 3 healers. At 3 healers, it really shouldn't be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by veneretio View Post
    If you're 2 healing it, go up to 3 healers. At 3 healers, it really shouldn't be an issue.
    Well that's the wierd part, we have 3 healers who have proven themselves good at many hard hitting bosses, but still the tanks die down due to the damage. Any other tips?
    *trying blood spec*

*edit* ok he's down. Here's what we did.
    Dps was assigned at the stationary target with our dps it meant that when one of the worms died the other one was on borrow and then in stationary meaning much lower tank damage. We talked to a overhyper druid who spammed at the fight and the blood spec helped at hard dps.
    Thanks for help though. (got new wrists *happy*)
    Last edited by Erlec; 08-07-2009 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Killed it

Quote Originally Posted by Arianne View Post
    Aerona, it's likely that you were having people die to each Massive Crash. If anyone dies to it, he enrages and hits for 50% additional damage. If no one dies to it then he is stunned for ~10s. If you have people die every time he does Massive Crash then there really isn't a way to beat this fight IMO. If you only have people die to MC once (or maybe twice) then tanks and healers can all blow their cooldowns to have the tank live.
    Don't take this the wrong way because I'm not saying it with the bile that usually comes with this sentence:

Can you go back and read what I wrote?

I specifically said that no one got hit during the charge and no one died to massive crash. He did not gain the buff. Two tanks were insta-gibbed before he even did his first blast back and charge and no one died from it when it did happen. He then turned around and killed the two tanks again from a Ferocious Butt + Melee swing in the same second for over 50k damage.

possible enrage timer?

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

None, if there is its stupidly long we 5 maned Icemaw(2 of which were healers) because we were laughing too hard on 10 man and he never enraged.

Northrend Beasts Strategy

Our guild just downed it last night and found it much easier to disarm Gormok using a rotation of disarms between our warrior tank, 2 MM hunters, and a rogue because it seems he cannot apply the stacking debuff while disarmed.

Acidmaw tank

We just did this fight this evening and we had real trouble with the Acidmaw tank continually getting palaytic toxin. This wouldn't be a problem if anyone else in the raid had the burning bile debuff so they could remove it from that tank. What happened to us several times was that nobody would have burning bile at all, or just the other tank.

I've watched the vid several times and although he isn't on screen at all times, I don't see the acidmaw tank getting PT once.

Any hints to make this easier as in the end we opted to just burn down acidmaw quickly to reduce the chance of this happening. But we can't do the achieve that way.
    Last edited by sucellus; 08-07-2009 at 06:05 PM.

For us the easiest solution was to just have the tank who has burning bile run to the poisoned one, then back into position.

Quote Originally Posted by Organic View Post
    For us the easiest solution was to just have the tank who has burning bile run to the poisoned one, then back into position.
    That was what we were trying to do as well, but with the poison damage patches on the ground it was rather tricky to maintain a kite path. and often when I was nipping over to free the other tank we'd both get hit by cone attacks, making the healers jobs a lot more difficult.

I'd still be interested to know how it's done in the tankspot video who don't seem to tank the two mobs anywhere near each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerona View Post
    Don't take this the wrong way because I'm not saying it with the bile that usually comes with this sentence:

Can you go back and read what I wrote?

I specifically said that no one got hit during the charge and no one died to massive crash. He did not gain the buff. Two tanks were insta-gibbed before he even did his first blast back and charge and no one died from it when it did happen. He then turned around and killed the two tanks again from a Ferocious Butt + Melee swing in the same second for over 50k damage.
    Facts do not compute. Bugged instance? Maybe he kept the buff from a previous wipe? The only time I've seen that much damage was when he enraged.

sucellus
    As for PT on the tank, usually there is a lag time between when the first PT is cast by Acidmaw (OT) and the first Burning Bile is cast by Dreadmaw (SB), so your tank will likely be paralyzed for a few seconds and need additional healing until BB is cast.

Facts do not compute. Bugged instance? Maybe he kept the buff from a previous wipe? The only time I've seen that much damage was when he enraged.
    We are very confused by it as well and if anyone here did the 25 man version *after* Thursday's maintenance then I would very much like to hear how your Icehowl fight went.

I doubt it was an enrage timer. We killed Gormok quickly after his snobolds were dead and the worms went down within two "burrow and switch" phases.

Icehowl came out and was doing that level of damage right off the bat.

The only things we can think of are:

1) They buffed the fight on Thursday and not many know yet because most raiding guilds got him on Tuesday or Wednesday.

2) Our instance was bugged.

sucellus
    As for PT on the tank, usually there is a lag time between when the first PT is cast by Acidmaw (OT) and the first Burning Bile is cast by Dreadmaw (SB), so your tank will likely be paralyzed for a few seconds and need additional healing until BB is cast.
    Yeah, I noticed that, I guess I'm just gonna have to kite much closer to the other tank so I can free her if necessary.

On the worms, do the tanks stick to their target and alternate kiting/stationary, or is it best to have one tank kite through all of it and one do the stationary?

+ Reply to Thread