+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Coliseum Northrend Beasts

"recent studies have shown that standing in fire is a leading cause of severe burns and can even be fatal" - that made me laugh. First footage i've seen of the raid and it looks pretty cool, can't wait to try it. Nice video.

Note: Icemaw enrages for 15 seconds if someone fails to move from his charge we thank Magical for getting smashed by Icemaw to know this.

We did this on Tuesday and it was pretty fun to work on an encounter without a strat.

On the 25-man version Icemaw has an ability called headbutt - we were postulating that it splits damage evenly to people in front of him - does this match other people's experience?

I think the main problem that isn't addressed in this video is Acidmaw's poison.
    This poison gets on the tank and many raid members, but only the tank seems to get the burning bile, and moving at walking speed to the tank to get the poison off you seems like a bad strategy.

We were just winging it and found the best way was to just burn down acidmaw to not have to deal with the poison, but since it seemed like every time the tank got burning bile was when the AoE thing hit. Also I saw a video from the PTR that when Acidmaw was stationary there was a warlock ranged tanking him, this would allow the 2nd tank to stand with the first tank and get burning bile when Dreadscale did his AoE, then the 2nd tank could run to the raid and dispel the poison.

I think this is possibly the most annoying and hard part about the fight since you can't really have the Dreadscale tank pointing him towards the raid to dispel people.
    Your ad could be here.

Just wanted to add that in normal 25 man, the first wave boss can be disarmed. So with talents/weapon chains you can get some extra damage debuffs on him. It isn't necessary for normal mode obviously, but for hard mode it could cut your time down a bit (assuming heroic will be disarm-able).

I just want to add that the comment about dps not being able to attack the kobolds because they are on the dps' back is not entirely true. I can't speak for melee, but as a lock I was able to turn around and dps them off my own back. While not very effective because of their interrupt, it will get them off of you faster than if you weren't helping out. Instant casts and Backlash procs helped out here. Also because of the interrupts made getting them off of healers a priority.

Note: So glad it's the 10 man copy we have up. Cider and others will understand lol

Tankspot Moderator
    Twitter: Follow me on Twitter! @Krenian

"Damnit!" - Jack Bauer, 24

Dude that was epic I don't know what your talking about!! =P

Quote Originally Posted by Krenian View Post
    Note: So glad it's the 10 man copy we have up. Cider and others will understand lol
    Can we just post the part where Krenian gets his face trampled by Icehowl?

Just a side note you say in your guide that switching after 5 stacks of the bleed? doesn't that make for extra unnecessary healing on the tank when he isn't tanking (Some groups might not run with anything to automatically clear the debuff), you can taunt after every 2 stacks and when the bleed drops off taunt and you can make the whole phase go through with only ever having a 2 stack.

I realize some guild might be able to handle the healing of a 5 stack i just thought i would post that a 2 stack is much more healable for ppl not as gear'd.
    The answer is user error

I may have missed it in the video, and some of the responses made me think others certainly weren't aware, but the 'target the tank' behavior with the debuff is only exhibited by whichever worm is 'above' ground at that time, while the stationary worm is randomly splashing them on the raid. So, when Acidmaw is rooted, if you get poisoned you HAVE to run to the tank, because only the tank will have the fire debuff from Dreadscale, and similarly when Acidmaw is active and dreadscale is rooted, anyone can have the fire debuff, but the tank will always have poison, so you need to run to the tank with the fire. As long as you're properly spread out, you can simplify it all by just saying "If you get debuffed, run to the tank on the active worm" since they'll always have the opposite and either cleanse you, or will desperately need your cleanse (Getting rooted as the tank is not fun)

Quote Originally Posted by Flak View Post
    LORE WHAT IS A GERMANGUY?
    Ha, i was thinking the same thing at first as well.

Separately, I tanked this the other day (on 10 man) and am bit on the lower gear level relative to a lot of people pushing through this - just a few pieces of Uld gear and rest naxx25. For the first boss, we got through him fine, but the tanks had to switch on more like 3 or even 2 stacks of the impale debuff. This could be a healer issue as well, but definitely had some close calls when the stack got to the long end of 3. Just a potential warning, but either way, it can work with earlier (maybe if lesser geared) or later switches.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanzer View Post
    Can we just post the part where Krenian gets his face trampled by Icehowl?
    You just HAD to say it huh!?

Jerkface.

Tankspot Moderator
    Twitter: Follow me on Twitter! @Krenian

"Damnit!" - Jack Bauer, 24

Hi, I just wondered what addon is used in the movie of call of the crusader 10 man that shows your enemy's health bars with a nice skin.
    couldn't find it anywere if i'm wrong here just say

This fight is really easy, we managed to 19 man (18 technically) the 25 man version, but alas the video is good, though id argue 5 stacks of impale is a little heavy, we found 3 was safest while 4 was still okay, 5 started killing tanks, we are in pre 25 ulduar HM gear though

Casiterra it's probably Pitbull, Lore's UI is located in our subforum UIs, Interface, Addons -> UI Compilations and look for Lore's UI

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Krenian View Post
    You just HAD to say it huh!?

Jerkface.
    I lol'd

Several things I noticed tonight while tanking the 10 man regular version of this encounter. Some of it conflicts slightly with the video, others were just things I did not hear mentioned (not being inflammatory here).

During Gormok, there was no mention whatsoever of his continously stacking buff that increases damage done by 10% for each stack. This part could just be me being anal retentive, but the snobolds were only mentioned in passing. There are exactly 4 snobolds. Once the first is launched, the other 3 are launched at what seemed to be regular intervals and did seem to be entirely random on who they targeted. The video recommended switching at 5 impale stacks, that strikes me as extreme (just my opinion there), we switched at 3 and it kept thing smooth.

During worm phase, at the start of the phase when Acidmaw is partially submerged, I never once recieved the paralytic poison unless he specifically targeted me and cast it (visible cast bar). However, once they switched who was above ground and who was burrowed, I began to take applications of the poison from his regular strikes. One mistake we made at first that others might also make, The paralytic poison, when applied, has a roughly 60 second duration. You do NOT have 60 seconds to get rid of it. I'm saying this off the top of my head so, again, it is opinion and I could be completely wrong, but, around the 40 seconds left mark is where it seems to fully paralyze you.

During Icehowl, one thing I did not hear mentioned in the video at all, but one poster above me did mention, is the headbutt. When he whirl's and knocks all melee back, he would charge me, and hit me with an ability called ferocious headbutt. This ability caused damage ranging from 20-25k and stunned me for 3 seconds. Every single time i was hit with headbutt, splat, dead tank. 25k headbutt followed by 10-15k normal melee swing. Before someone asks, yes i'm absolutely certain this did not happen during the crash/charge portion of the fight.

Anyway, just things I observed and/or noticed during the regular 10 man version of the fight.

We did this fight on 10 man on Wednesday and the most trouble we had was on the first guy. We were running with a sub-optimal group with a very bad healer and still managed to pull through it. We didn't notice the stacking buff he gets as a soft-enrage.

Dreadmaw in the second phase would consistently bug when I went near him to pick him up before the "event" started. If I went to him before he moved on his own he would quickly hit me three times in 1 second which would promptly kill me. I found that waiting until he moved alone didn't cause it to happen.

Icehowl was by far the easiest of all of the phases. Heal through the ice breath, dodge the Yeti, and burn him down. Damage on the tank was barely noticable and easily healed.

However:

FAST-FORWARD to earlier this night and we try the fight on 25 man. We tried on tuesday night and had server issues. Half of our raid disconnected on the pull, including me, and still they managed to get the first boss down to 47%. A guild a little ahead of us on Ulduar progression downed him on their first try about 10 minutes before our pull before the servers got very bad.

Tonight we go back in and suddenly the first boss has a stacking buff that causes him to be able to kill a tank in one second if he uses Impale at the same time as a melee swing. At 4 stacks it felt like we were tanking Thorim with 14 lightning charges on him. We checked the combat logs and the numbers he was throwing on us were about:

Impale hits for 25,000.
    Melee swing hits for 23,000.

I am in full Ulduar gear (Not all BiS, but not far off) and with every buff except for Fort I have 43,500ish hp. I couldn't have survived that without a cooldown.

That's fine, though. We compensate with burning Heroism and using cooldowns + disarm to kill him before the damage gets unhealable. We down him and the second phase starts.

The worms were about the same on 25 man as they were on 10 man. It seemed like there was a hell of a lot more people getting the green poison debuff but we compensated with me, Dreadmaw's tank, intervening into a group of people heading to me to cancel the debuff. I didn't test to see if the "insta-gib" bug was still in effect if I ran to him before he moved. The worms went down.

Icehowl came out and ran to our other tank, a DK, and killed him instantly. He looked at his combat log and saw two hits: Ferocious Butt and a melee swing in 1 second that killed him outright. He has more hp than I do and about equal stats otherwise.

He had a soulstone and popped up. I taunted Icehowl and held him for about 15 seconds until he did the same to me. I was also soulstoned and popped up. Icehowl did his blast back ability, sent us all to the wall, and we dodged his Yeti tackle and burned him down to 80% or so.

The DK tank picked him up. Keep in mind now that we dodged the yeti tackle so he did not gain the enrage buff. He died from Ferocious Butt and a melee swing before he could get a heal inbetween the two abilities. I pick him up and 15 seconds or so later the same thing happened to me.

Ferocious Butt hits for 27,000.
    Melee swing hits for 15,000. (9000 overkill) (24,000 total)

27,000 + 24,000 = 51,000 damage in one second.

We boggled at our combat logs for a while and called it a night. We thought maybe you need to get a lucky dodge or parry but then quickly realized that Ferocious Butt stuns you for 3 seconds so you cannot avoid the hit. We thought you have to chain cooldowns but he uses the ability too often and there is no warning to brace for the hit. We thought about switching off tanks but that posed the same problem.

How did so many guilds do this on tuesday and wednesday and not even mention the Ferocious Butt + melee swing one-second kill in their strategies? We were incredibly unlucky? Are we somehow outgeared? Did they change the encounter? Did it bug up and we had a preview of heroic mode 25?

Or do we just suck?

A couple of 25man thoughts (guild killed Yogg25 for the first time 2 weeks ago - to give you an idea of gear level).

As we had three tanks signed up we decided to all stay tank "just in case". Took us three shots to kill them, but it was messy and some mechanics I don't understand.

P1 - We taunted off at 3 stacks of the debuff, as it seemed tor ramp after that especially by the time he had +40% damage increase or so from snobolds/time/soft enrage. We saved disarms for the last 30% or so to help as well. With three pallys in the raid each was given a tank to bop betwen P1 and P2 to get rid of the bleed.

P2 - was messy, we randomly seemed to have no fire or no poison and lots of the other one, three tanks made things easier for when tanks got paralysed someone else could pick up the mobs. I found targetting a pain as they are very similar colours and /tar macros seem to have a bit of a delay in targetting them, resulting in the odd dead dps.

P3 - was fun! After a couple of bad spike damage our MT rotated his cds after every charge/stun and with some pain suppression we got through without losing any more people.

Just a few random thoughts
    **Give me a hug and I'll defend you with my life**
    Blog: http://www.tankspot.com/blog.php?550-Shortypop

+ Reply to Thread