+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Downgrading ilvl for more DPS?

Downgrading ilvl for more DPS?

As a warrior that was focused on tank gear and now working on a dps spec, I am wondering if downgrading the ilvl of some of my dps gear is wise in order to hit certain caps.

My current gear is:The World of Warcraft Armory

I have read that hitting the expertise and hit caps were necessary for good dps yet if I upgrade my current chest to the badge tier chest, I would no longer be hit capped. Since I am strained on hit rating already, would it be worth it to change gear? I am also planning to downgrade from my ilvl219 pants to the tier 7.5 ones for the crit and expertise.

I do not have access to spread sheets so that is unavailable to me.

My current dps is around 3.2K while following the advice from Arms DPS FAQs.

Any advice would be appreciated. Easily obtainable clear DPS upgrades that do not require fighting hundreds of other plate wearing melee classes would be even more appreciated.

-Sylv

Gearing definitely depends on maximizing your SEP values on everything you have, sometimes this means using lower ilvl. I can't look at your Armory right now but I'm sure the other guys will be able to help.

Moved to HALP forum.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Thanks. Any expert help is appreciated especially on trade offs between stats to maximize SEP values with relation to caps.

Your best bet is to wait for landsoul to update his spreadsheet on ej with the new items. Then you just plug in your gear set and spec and it will show you, your dps and u can see if the item is an upgrade or no.

regardly caps like hit and expertise, there is some naxx25 lvl gear that wont be replaced for awhile until you get into ulduar hardmodes and toc10/25. take for example 7.5 legs. because of the massive expertise they have, you probably wont be replacing them until you get 8.5 gloves and probably another expertise ring. granted there are better legs (xt25 for example) before then, however since there isn't that much expertise gear in ulduar thats plate, you will be stuck wearing the 7.5's for awhile.

higher ilvl doesnt exactly mean higher dps if the higher ilvl gear will drop your hit/expertise below caps which will be a dps loss (remember hit and expertise values are higher than any other stat under the cap).

@axiom: he said he doesnt have access to spreadsheets. but you really dont need a spreadsheet to tell you if an item is an upgrade or not.
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Sylv View Post
    I am wondering if downgrading the ilvl of some of my dps gear is wise in order to hit certain caps.
    Yes - hit is your first priority. If you're not hit capped then it doesn't matter. But consider gems/enchants to help hit caps for things like hit/exp or possibly a trinket slot. Hit-capped is a huge dps boost.
    Former healbot now a Disgruntled protection warrior.

I just downloaded Rawr today, and in order to optimize my gear, it tells me to change out my chest which would put me at -50 some hit rating and not to replace my gems with hit rating to compensate.

How accurate would this change be? My new chest would be the conqueror's badge chest. Does anyone know of the SEP off the top of their heads before hit cap after hit cap and the respective with expertise?

How much is it worth as a trade off for something like armor pen and crit?

From just a rough guess it seemed that increasing my crit substantially increased my dps more than armor pen yet this is all just speculative rough guessing.

sep values isn't set per se, but more of all of your individual gear put together in a set. normally for arms, hit and expertise are above all other stats until the caps, followed by str and arp (if over 30% arp from gear, arp outweighs str) then crit, haste, agi, etc.

you also have to look at set bonuses, since going from, say 1 pc to 2pc and get a bonus, or 2pc to 3 pc and not get a new bonus, can have some swing on things as well.
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

Rawr is quite useful, but remember that it only compares gear on a "best dps" basis. Id suggest changing the gems manually to remain hit capped in Rawr and then compare item specific dps then to get a better idea. Depending on if your hit capped etc. certain gems provide more benefits over others.

Not sure if you have factored this in as well but usually in a raid environment there is a Drano around to add 1% to your hit. If you can rely on that buff being there then my understanding is that you dont have to be hit capped.

Thanks for all the replies.

Now need to somehow get triple spec with the new arena season starting. May be the only way for me to get a weapon upgrade.

When you figure out how let me know :P

+ Reply to Thread