+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Makeover my Pally

Makeover my Pally

Hi all..I'm new to tanking and would like to start. I haven't done any instances as a tank so don't want to look too stupid. I did some research here and in other sources to begin. Here's my armory.

I've been questing as is, but noticed I seem to burn out of mana real quick. I was Retrib stats till 80, so this is all new for me...how bout some help/criticism?

Thanks in advance...

If you run out of mana as a prot pally, there are several possible problems, each with their own solution.

Reason one - forgetting divine plea. Divine plea is a wonderful spell, it should always be active while fighting. Glyph it, and it's doubly effective.

Reason two - not taking enough damage. This is mostly encountered in instances, and it should be rare in raids. It means you are probably overgeared for your content. There are two fixes - taking another point of spiritual attunement (which is what I did after I ran out of mana in a 10man ulduar boss fight) or pulling more mobs.

Reason three - not enough avoidance or blocked blows. This mostly occurs when soloing, and the solution is to pull more mobs. As a protection paladin, you should be able to avoid or block most to all blows, and even if you take more blows then your holy shield has charges, recount kicks in.
    So pull more.

In addition to what Martie said, you should be using Blessing of Sanctuary to tank.
    Sanctuary gives you reliable mana while you are in combat.

You got the glyph of seal of venegance, so I guess you do use it already which is good since SoV is the go-to tanking seal.

You are using a spellpower weapon, which was the way of BC, but is no longer the way to go in Wrath. Get the Red Sword of Courage from UP heroic or the tank sword from the Argent Tournament ASAP.

You are wasting points in the holy tree, stick those in retribution.

Have a look at my armory for details on how I spent my talent points or what glyphs I use.

As far as gear I suggest starting at the lower lvl 70's instances to get gear. You don't have much tank gear, and it might be hard to do the higher lvl 70's and 80 instances.

As for mana, do as they say.

wow-loot.com has a list of what drops from what instances, and quest for your spec. Should help you gear out. I suggest you save up to go duel spec ret so it's easier to do dailies and what not.

Thanks all for the advice...I'll start working on it!

+ Reply to Thread