+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ready for real tanking?

Ready for real tanking?

Hello.
    First post, but a long time lurker, despite being a new member.

So, i dinged 80 on my warrior just before 3.2. Im doing some lvl 78-80 instances when i can, and bought some epic equipments to reach the def cap for heroics. Yet, im not sure if im ready to tank some real dungeons. I did read all about the new dungeon, Trial of the Champion, and im wondering if im ready to tank that, with my current equipment. Or should i start doing some heroics to get better equipment? Or no? Help :P

My armory: The World of Warcraft Armory

First, congratulations! Its a totally different world at lvl 80, but one that I am sure you will enjoy, as I have.

Second, do not try to tank the new 5man (Trial of the Champion) until you are secure and confident in your skills, rotation, and recovery process. Start with Regular HoL, HoS, UP, and then move to Heroic Nexus, UK, and Gundrak. Get your feet wet and ask a lot of questions. Its not just gear or the defense cap, its leadership, character knowledge, and role tactics.

One other point, if you can dps a few Heroic runs to observe a veteran tank, then try to do that as well. You will find it invaluable as you learn and grow in your own skills.

Good luck! I look forward to hearing about your growth and success.

Agreed on the leadership/knowledge, etc. As a tank, it is often your responsibility to lead the group, set up correct pulls, and help people to understand the fights. Learning the instances is almost as important as learning to tank well. Ask lots of questions, and never be offended if someone gives you advice. Start by doing the normal instances, and when you're comfortable with those, move on to heroics/normal ToC. Once you're comfortable with those, go for heroic ToC or Naxx 10. If you can find a veteran tank to mentor you, that's the best.

I agree with what Meldwyn said. I'd like to add, however, that if you have trouble finding groups for non-heroic lvl 80 instances, you're gear is decent enough to do heroic UK, VH, or Nexus. I'd stay away from hGundrak, though, you'd need quite a good healer to keep you alive through those bosses.

Focus on non-heroic Halls of Lightning whenever you can find a group for it, the defense trinket from there is a lot better than the Protectorate and will last you a long time.

Consider grinding out some cash for craftable gear. You already have the shield, but I would prioritize the titansteel helm over everything else, and the boots are very good too.
    The rare quality leg patches LW can make are reasonably priced. If you have a skinner, it's even easier. The 45 stam and agi is pretty big.
    Please note, the new TotC Regular instance is actually on parr in difficulty as the other heroics, and the heroic version of that is a notch above that. As others have suggested, get to know the "easier" heroics and run those until you get the gear required from it. The one exception is H UP, the epic sword "Red Sword of Courage" is by far the biggest upgrade in all the heroics. Depending on your group, you may or may not be able to do it, especially holding aoe aggro on Skadi.
    The other option is to go as an arms warrior on a nax10 run. Nowadays people are farming badges in nax10, so getting gear from some overgeared groups may be possible.
    If nothing else, if you constantly grind easy heroics you should quickly get enough badges to get an upgrade of some sort like a ring or a necklace.

Thanks for the replies.
    I have a bit of difficult putting a full group together for the normal dungeons. Sometimes i have to pm people to ask them if they wanna come dps. That's the main reason that i want to give another step in my 'career'. So, looks like im ready to, at least, heroic VH, UK and Nexus. Thats wonderful! :P

Oh, and i cant say that im fully confident as a tank, but i've been having some sucess, so i can say that im getting used to it, to know when to pop a CD, to switch targets, to even intervene and the likes. But i know that i've got a lot to learn yet. Im looking for a new guild too, because the one im in is mostly a leveling guild, and im one of the few 80's.

Well, for the upgrade comments, im working on Teldrassil Protector - Item - World of Warcraft. Looks like its a comparable upgrade, and i might get one on the next week. Ill buy the 45 stam patch too. I was wondering if i would or not buy the Titansteel Helm. Maybe i should, along with the boots...

+ Reply to Thread