+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is block now the premium stat for boss tanking?

Is block now the premium stat for boss tanking?

With the release of 3.2 comes a change which significantly increases the block value on items. The question is, how big of a buff is this, and is it worth replacing your entire avoidance/EH set in order to use a block set?

People who have had both sets, do share your experiences with us. I know that BV will never be as good for warriors as pallies, but I'm interested to know if the buff to BV makes a block set valuable for boss tanking.

Block is still an inferior stat for progress MTing. An average T8 Warrior Tank maybe gains avout 100 extra SBV after 3.2.

No.

There are many posts with the math on this already. You just need to search.
    "Ultimately, making the blanket statement '25m content is harder, period' is at best an overstatement and at worst ignorant drivel." Garrek

The short answer is it does almost nothing to make block sets more attractive on boss fights.

No, it's friggin horrible, even on the 10man new raid the bosses can deal 15-20k skills, making block pointless.

But but but but I LOVE block...

Let's be clear, Block isn't horrible, it's just deficient in matters of boss tanking. If you want to stack a lawlShieldSlam threat set, or a heavy block trash oriented set, that's a different matter.

Gacktt, your hyperbole is unhelpful and slightly misleading. Blocking 1500 out of 20k is not usually going to save your life, but that's a 7.5% reduction in damage from that swing...
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

Until such time as Blizzard actually fix block, best practice is to leave it at the bottom of your shopping list.

Take block where it comes on gear upgrades. For MT'ing bosses you definitely shouldn't be stacking it.

Block is a great stat for pretty much everything OTHER THAN raid boss tanking.
    Stay strong. Stay smart. All heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Halgreg View Post
    Block is a great stat for pretty much everything OTHER THAN raid boss tanking.
    Precisely why it is such a lame stat...

Just with Shield Block up I have 2640SBV. I had to replace my Glyph of Blocking cuz I hit the cap (34.5x80 = 2760) even with 2640SBV I'm way above where DR kicks in.

Still sucks though. gg

Quote Originally Posted by Gluteas View Post
    Just with Shield Block up I have 2640SBV. I had to replace my Glyph of Blocking cuz I hit the cap (34.5x80 = 2760) even with 2640SBV I'm way above where DR kicks in.

Still sucks though. gg
    I think the cap only applies to Shield Slam damage. For actual mitigation, I don't think there is a cap.

But yeah. My hopes is that this is just the first step of many to make block more viable for all aspects of tanking, especially some of the most important raid parts, like raid bosses. It's annoying how something so useful in a lot of the game is so useless in a HUGE key part of the PVE game.
    Stay strong. Stay smart. All heart.

+ Reply to Thread