+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Black Heart Vs Valor Medal

The Black Heart Vs Valor Medal

Manged to get The Black Heart tonight on my first run in the new instance. I have the following trinkets to choose from:

Essence of Gossemer
    Greatness Card
    Valor Medal of the First War
    The Black Heart

Until now I have been running with the Greatness Card and the Valor Medal, but I am pondering switching the Medal out for The Black Heart. It's about 2k base hp on the trinket and on proc it brings my armor up to 35k. It also procs about twice as often as I could click the Medal, but lasts half as long. I get about 5% mitigation from The Black Heart, and 5% on click from the Valor Medal.

The hardest thing I am currently tanking are Patchwerk 25 and Grand Widow enraged. Any suggestions for which trinket combo would likely work best would be appericated.

Hey, I had the same thing today, what I'm planning on doing is keeping both, depending on the fight, because 126 stamina is really nice and the proc procs all the time. depending on the fight, if heavy avoidance is required valor metal other then that, I'm sticking with the heart.
    Spooly of Gnomeregan, Warrior of <Catastrophe> fighting for the realm of Shandris

If this drops from normal mode ToC, you can farm it more than once per day, correct? If so I am so running that instance 10x per day

Do you want and/or need an avoidance clicky? Take Valor
    Do you want and/or need more hp? Take Black Heart
    Do you want and/or need to take less damage? Take Valor (and use clicky on cooldown)
    Do you want to be designated MT of all runs you ever join? Switch to Gossamer and Heart before accepting the invite (but dont forget to switch to your other gearset before starting to tank)

I have to say I have truly fallen for the Black Heart, the stam is great(until seal of lane and heart of iron) and the proc is ALL the time, not 100% but seriously it is well over a 50-60% up time, 7k armor is a direct 6% reduction in incoming damage. A great trinket to equip.

I definitely plan on using the black heart once I get it. Most likely I will use that and defender's code, i'm an armor/stam junkie Of course, I don't have access to the stam trinkets from ulduar yet, but I would use it over royal seal. Auto procs are great, I don't have to worry about using them.
    "Ultimately, making the blanket statement '25m content is harder, period' is at best an overstatement and at worst ignorant drivel." Garrek

How accurate is that estimation of 50% uptime?
    Currently using Heart of Iron and Royal Seal of King Llane, but might drop latter for this trinket if the proc uptime really is that high.
    Crommi | Archaic Order | Lightning's Blade EU

Seems to be a ICD of about 45 seconds. It's not near 50%. By my math it's a 22% uptime.

I also got this trinket today and I have to say, wow what a nice procc. Yes I am pretty sure it does have an inner cooldown of 45 seconds but it does procc alot, probably somewhere around every 5th hit (after cooldown) making it around 20%. 7000ish armor is certainly alot and it is a great addition for any tank really.

For us poor sods that haven't seen a single heart of iron drop yet, this trinket is awesome.

Seems to be averaging at 12% uptime according to logs.

First run last night and I got it. YES, I can finally retire the AN stam trinket!!!

I'm looking to farm for this myself, never got the Trinket from Yogg 10, so it's a massive upgrade over the Essence of Gossamer that I'm still running around with. So far, I've heard nothing but great things and how high proc rate was, so I seriously hope Blizz don't turn around and nerf this.

Other notes on black heart:
    From my quick calculations, the 7056 armor proc provides 12-17% physical damage reduction (that is, 12-17% of what you would be hit for without the proc) depending on how much armor you currently have. You can work out the relative, post-DR, averaged mitigation provided by avoidance trinkets (Llane, Heart of Iron) and they come out to that same regime (~15% or a bit less, depending on current avoidance stats, etc.)

All that being said, stamina is most definately the stat of choice for tanks of raid content.

12-17% sounds highly optimistic. As Ulduar geared prot warrior I noticed +7% increase in armor mitigation pushing total up to 69% during proc.

That's way to high, I only get a 5-6% Bonus, and I am a partly Naxx Geared Druid.

During our Naxx 25 run last night tho, I'd hit nearly 40k armor between procs, buffs, Stoneskin totem and Devo Aura.

We ended up wiping once on Patchwerk, so I was able to compare to the Valor Medal, and while the same size is fairly small (100 hits) the Max Hateful with The Black Heart was considerably lower, but again, it's due to RNG since you can't control when it procs. The buff, for those wondering, is called Aegis.

The Valor Medal parse actually did worse, because again Dodge is RNG, and my RNG hates me I dodged less attacks on that fight then I did using The Black Heart. Just bad luck.

If you're testing it in heroics, it will seem like it's up alot because it will proc every pull, especially if you're not chain pulling so you're giving the ICD time to tick off.

The buff graphic being the exact same as Blessing of Protection is annoying, especially when you're a paladin tank.

The damage mitigation from the armor bonus is going to scale depending on how much armor you already have. For example, a Naxx-10 geared tank will see more damage mitigation (read: benefit) than an Uld-25 geared tank.

This is also going to be a hot trinket for PVP Warriors with Armored to the Teeth.
    [Insert witty signature here]

This seems like a good place to put a refresher for new tanks:

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f63/4...ns-armour.html

Armor's mitigation % is diminishing but your time to live from stacking it is not.

does anyone know how the mitigation from this would stack up against the +dodge on the monarch crab trinket? I think I can regem some of my other gear to make the stats balance out, but I'm not sure how dodge and armor work relative to each other for a dk tank.

To clarify about the value of armor:
    5-6% increase in tooltip armor mitigation is actually MUCH more damage reduction relative to the hit sizes you currently see.

Going from 65% to 70% mitigation means your hit sizes are going from 0.35 to 0.30 of base. So let's say Thorim's base hit is 100,000 damage. Normally (without trinket procced), you would take 35,000 damage. Now, with the trinket proccing and granting you 5% tooltip armor, you get hit for 30,000 damage.

Your damage intake with the trinket was 30,000/35,000 what it should have been, that's 0.8571 or 85%. You just took 15% less damage than you would have without the trinket proc.

------------------------------------------------------

Run the numbers and you'll find that Black Heart proccing for 7k armor on top of 27,500 armor (my warrior's armor value with saronite-plated equipped) reduces damage intake by 14% by the above definition. That actually doesn't include talented armor increases or coincident inspiration. Lower initial armor gives a slightly better result, higher initial armor (bears?) gives a slightly worse result.

+ Reply to Thread