+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Healing UI Advice

Healing UI Advice

For the moment my warrior is riding the pine while I play with my newly 80 resto shaman and raid pretty casually with some friends. I have discovered that what made an awesome UI (at least for me) for raid tanking and leading is cumbersome when I try to heal. I find my mouse moving all over the screen and I frequently try to cast a spell on a target and don't have them selected. I'm looking for some advice on addons not to miss, general layout advice and the like. I'll try and get a screenshot up sooner rather than later of what I have now. I am also trying to overcome the tank mentality of keybind everything and learn to use clique, clique and more clique.

edit: clique is set up with shift and crtl modifiers and my mouse (mx revolution - 4 easy buttons for heals) for cleanse and the various heal spells. i need to get an NS / HW macro set someplace easy to mash frantically.

Current Addons:

Clique
    Bartender4
    XPerl / Grid - not sure which i like more and running both is CONFUSING
    ShieldsUp
    ShockandAwe (for when I go Enhancement)
    (totem mod) - not sure the name of it, lays out my totems and shows timers. I generally like it.
    Various loot / ui mods, none that really affect healing that I can think of (stuff like xloot, atlas, mr. plow)

Thanks!

p.s. sorry if this should go into the UI forum. seemed appropriate to be in the healing one.
    Last edited by Lavache; 05-15-2009 at 01:53 PM.

People are going to bash you for it but I run Healbot with Fluidbars running.If you setup Healbot right you will love it. Next grab decursive very important for a shammy we can get rid of pretty much everything but magic. I run totem caddy, its an old version but it still works, I like being able to cycle my totems and have BL right there without putting it all over my bars. I run elkanos buff bars, I like the way it organizes it. I also like some form of pulse mod, which I place center of screen to notify me of CD's an what not. Omni CC works okay. Healbot also notifies you when your shield, or weapon embuement is going to fail by changing your character pane. I can apply both by clicking on my name. I prefer to scroll to reapply WS.

I have my heals setup for a 3 button mouse. lhw, riptide on the side, chain heal is the middle button. With the scroll wheel down to reapply water shield(Cntrl for lightining shield), and scroll wheel up for NS. I have healing wave bound to F, so i can throw a quick NS HW to save someone. Below is what I have setup, healbot is the thing above my bars it leaves my screen mostly open so I can see everything.

I like to keep it simple. I've tried grid/healbot/clique addons and found them to be too annoying and confusing to setup and use. I just don't have the skill to handle that much addon! But if you do, more power to you

I have four addons for raiding and a bunch of mouseover macros:
    NUI+ (UI and raidframes)
    DBM (may switch to BW) for boss fights/timers
    Xperl (for JUST my character's buffs and Debuffs, I keep those enlarged since nui+ has very small ones.
    PoM tracker (priest)

Macros: /cast [target=mouseover] Flash Heal (or whatever spell)

All major spells are on my number bar 1-8 and if the fight requires a ton of healing and moving I have Q,E,F set for my thre most popular heals.

NUI will show you everything you need:
    if the player is in or out of range
    debuffs and marks on players
    heals/hots on a player
    players with threat or dmg being done
    And more...

Plus my screen is free and clear to see blue lazer beams inching towards me or that random guy about to whirlwind into my path XD

Thanks for the advice so far. I did some tinkering over the weekend and some reading and got things a little more squared away (need to remember a screen shot) and changed out / reconfigured some add-ons and its a little easier now that my frames aren't on the other side of my screen =p I will try to remember to get an add-on list when I get home and take my screen shot.

Raid healing is a totally different experience from tanking =p I've died to more than one laser beam because my awareness isn't quite as high because I'm busy playing whack-a-mole

UI for Critique

http://images.wowstead.com/34157/6.jpg

There's my UI with annotations. I'm slow today and cant figure out how to get the nice inline image that will resize automagically.

There are a few things I would like to adjust with it but at the moment they are small and not too invasive.

I go super simple: just Healbot. Set it up right and you really need nothing else.

some of what i have is a function of leading raids and not healing. as a healer im not worried about what the tank is targeting - if im leading the raid i do care. same with omen and recount. if i am only healing then i turn them off.

ill look into healbot and also vuhdo at some point this week.

I just want to voice my support for Healbot, and am glad to find I'm not the only one using it over Grid. I highly recommend trying it atleast, as even after trying Grid I still found Healbot to be better suited for me personally. I don't have anything specific against Grid, I just couldn't get attached to it after having always used Healbot.

Also, I understand the whack-a-mole game can be distracting, I think healing has sharpened my periphreal vision haha, that, or I just play WoW too much and know when to move by muscle memory

I use Grid, though I deffinately thing you ought to try out a few diff. healing addons / approaches and see what you feel most comfortable with. There is nothing wrong with Grid / Healbot / others, they all do the job you just need to work out which does it best for you

My UI is below, main things you can see are Grid, DBM, Quartz, IceHud, AuraHud, Omen, Recount, oRA2, Prat & FuBar.

Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.

Personally i use Grid, it's the addon that suits me best of the ones i've tried. The most important thing for me is that i can actually see my character and what's really going on in the fight and not just see a big UI in my face. I prefer mods that comes with warnings and little popups instead of big things in my screen all the time. I really can't use xperl and mods like that, it's just too many distractions and you can't really see what's going on.

Last edited by Caly; 06-11-2009 at 01:19 PM.

Caly, what UI do you have set up? The only reason I have NUI+ set up right now is because it keeps my screen free of clutter, but it is really slowing down my frame rates in raids. I just need something compact and simple for my small computer screen.

I tried out VuhDo recently and loved it. I found it easier to set up than grid/clique but it is basically the same concept. I loved my mouse over macros, however they were hurting my raid heals on fights requiring a lot of movement...

I use CBH Viewport for the black at the top and bottom, that way i can have bars and other small stuff packed there for a clean view of the fights. Grid requires some setup but it makes it simple to see incoming heals etc. I used NUI also when playing my DK, i used fewer mods while dpsing. Personally i think you should try and heal with as few mods as possible, but i find myself using quite alot of them anyway

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/v...g?t=1244678666

Don't know if that link will make the quality of the pic better, seems really lame here on the forum.

One thing I did to make it easier to watch the fight while playing whack-a-mole is to move the raid frames closer to the center of my screen. I never really liked them at the very bottom corner like some people have them, seems like it's awful far from the action.

my UI

Here is my UI for priest healing, if anyone is enterested. I try to keep clutter down to a minium, and only have up what I feel is necessary to heal effectively. I know alot of healers are very "anti-healbot" but it works great for me I use several different addons that aren't shown in this screenshot, if anyone has any questions please feel free to ask me

~Jedla
    Last edited by Jedlasback; 06-13-2009 at 06:40 PM.

Your UIs are so clean -.- Mine is an absolute mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    Your UIs are so clean -.- Mine is an absolute mess.
    I know right? >.<
    I spent about 5 hours this weekend trying to figure out the best way to get rid of NUI and I'm still not happy. My biggest issue, blizzards tooltip in the bottom right corner! With NUI I could move it to another area, but I cannot seem to find an addon or UI that will stop it from showing up in that spot. -_- Now the left side of my screen is a clusterfck of addons. I need a widescreen monitor...

i use TipTac, with that you can not only move the tooltip, but change the look on it also

LoL you're amazing ty. I just want to center my raidframes and not worry about the stupid tooltip covering my targets >.< Is that too much to ask blizzard???

All I want to see on my screen is my raid frames, PoMTracker, buffs/procs, a couple of action bars (that fade out), and my character I will post a shot when my masterpiece is complete, LoL.

I tried to keep my feet clear in this UI setup. I have omen and recount to one side with bartender. Your can see Pally Power. I also use a combonation of Healbot and Decursive instead of any raid frames. I have Healbot setup in a specific way to show me threat and mana levels of the raid im in. I use alot of macros. I only use my mouse to use Healbot and Decursive, not Bartender.

I have IceHud in the center with Bulldog for target and target's target. I let Parrot tell me about my healing and damage. I have Elk Bars for buffs and de-buffs

I like being able to see a lot ^.^
    I don't use HealBot either soo yeah. If you're wondering what one of the addons is just ask me.

+ Reply to Thread