+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DK Threat Issues

DK Threat Issues

For awhile, my threat has been enough for everyone to deal with, but lately a hunter and affliciton warlock have to hold back on their dps or misdirect to me in order for me to keep the boss and I can't figure out why I can't do more tps.

Normally I do about 3k-4k unless DnD is down and it goes up to 6k, but I don't think I should be needing to have DnD out all the time to stay ahead.

The World of Warcraft Armory

That's my Armory link, feel free to go through it. I think I might not have enough hit rating or my talents might be a little askew. Maybe I need to switch some gems. Any suggestions on how to gain threat would be much appreciated, thank you.

I assume you're talking about single target threat? Can you give us an idea of your rotation?

I'd say pull the points out of Merciless Combat and/or Hungering Cold and grab 2-Handed Weapon Spec in the Blood tree, it will up all your damage and therefore threat.

You seem to be gemming a lot for pure expertise when as Frost +hit is a little more valuable due to so many attacks being spells. Could you post a WoL parse for us to look over, I'd like to see how many misses you are getting.

Maybe drop the UBA and D&D glyphs and pick up Rune Strike and Frost Strike. Rune Strike is a DK's primary threat tool and should be macrod to everything like so:

#showtooltip
    /cast Blood Strike
    /cast !Rune Strike

#showtooltip
    /cast Obliterate
    /cast !Rune Strike

#showtooltip
    /cast Howling Blast
    /cast !Rune Strike

Yea, single target. My rotation is IT>PS>BS>BS>OB>FS dump>OBx3>FS dump, then I repeat from the beginning, unless my diseases have some time left on them...then I do the OBx3 again and start over next time. Rune strike is already macro'd into all of those.

And if I should be gemming hit instead, then I'll change. I was just always told that as a tank, expertise is more important.

And I'll try the glyph changes.

Expertise is still important, more so for a Blood spec, but you may be missing a lot. Try eating some hit food, and post a log parse if possible.

I'm not sure where to find a parse. But I did do some regemming and my expertise went from 27 to 25, my stam went down 41, and my hit rating went from 197 to 240. You think this will help?

It should help.

Think of the game mechanic like this:

You swing. Game calculates (using your Hit Rating) whether or not you will hit your target.

Assuming your swing makes it to the mob from the above hit rating calculation, game calculates (using your Expertise Rating) whether or not the mob parries/dodges your attack.

If you dont hit the mob with your hit rating, your expertise will never have a chance to apply. This is why hit rating trumps expertise rating as your #1 stat to max.

+ Reply to Thread