+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Devestate/Sunder Armor vs Hunter Worms Acid Splash

Devestate/Sunder Armor vs Hunter Worms Acid Splash

Hey Guys,

Sorry if this is commonly known knowledge or something, but I just had an unusual experience. I'm level 75 on my prot warrior (first tanking toon) and my tanking has been going really well, pretty reasonably geared, and tend to get positive comments etc. But in this instance things just weren't working quite right, something didnt feel right and there were 2-3 wipes. The hunter had a worm pet that pulled agro a couple of times which didnt help. But THEN I noticed that his pet (a Worm) was stacking 'Acid Splash' on the mobs which was preventing me stacking Sunder Armor/Devestate. As soon as I saw this I assumed this was the reason everything was going pear shaped. I asked him to turn his 'crap worm off'. He claimed that I still get the threat from the sunder even though it doesn't 'debuff' and thus claimed his worm was fine. I dont know if thats the case, but it didnt FEEL like I was getting the benefit of 5x sunder. And given his track huntard record of his pet pulling unwanted agro, I don't want to give him the benefit of the doubt.

So I guess my question is, should a hunter as a rule not use a Worm pet when a warrior is tanking? Or is it not a problem? I'm curious to know about this for both LK dungeons as well as raids later on.

Thanks guys,
    Eon

It's not a problem. You can still do damage with sunder even if you'll get the 'more powerful effect' warning. However, like shockwave sometimes doing no damage to immune targets it's always possible that it's bugging out.

What is more likely though is that the worm pet (tenacity pet ie tank type) probably had growl up. Especially for a leveling hunter he's probably making heavy use of his pet to solo stuff and forgot to change in instance (assuming he's spending more of his time questing and less of it instancing).

So in terms of threat, you still get the same level of threat with each Devestate application as you would if there was no Worm pet?

no a large portion of dev threat requires having 5 stacks up (101 xtra damage per application i think)

so yes hunter using worm should turn it off if war is tanking..

would it make a massive difference?? well would make your weakest threat move a waste of time really...

Quote Originally Posted by Granim View Post
    no a large portion of dev threat requires having 5 stacks up (101 xtra damage per application i think)

so yes hunter using worm should turn it off if war is tanking..

would it make a massive difference?? well would make your weakest threat move a waste of time really...
    For the damage part it should matter if it's spits or sunders, should be equal.
    For the threat part: the applying of each sunder effect give you threat, so the hunter should turn his splash of.

Quote Originally Posted by orcstar View Post
    For the damage part it should matter if it's spits or sunders, should be equal.
    For the threat part: the applying of each sunder effect give you threat, so the hunter should turn his splash of.
    They changed devastate to only do threat based on your damage with a bonus from your ap. So the threat from each dev won't change, except for something I just realized.

Dev does bonus damage based on each sunder application, so the worm's acid splash overriding sunder armor with severly nerf Dev damage and in turn threat. Especially at lvl 75 most of Dev's damage is coming from that sunder armor bonus.

Edit: lol Granim actually nailed it before I came rushing back with my epiphany.
    Last edited by Muffin Man; 08-03-2009 at 12:20 AM.

+ Reply to Thread