+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What do you use to record game footage

What do you use to record game footage

Hey guys this is Setheral xD

My questions is: What is a good recording program.

I tried fraps and its create LARGE MB files for like a 5 minute encounter. Maybe there a decompression I need to do.

I would like to recrod videos to link for guildies on how our guilds do encounters and such.

Any advice would be great.

Fraps. Try adjusting your settings in there to lower resolution if youre worried about the MB size...but these days, 1 TB is 100$ so you should just upgrade and go with the High-res.

A Blu-ray movie is about 17 GB of data or more....HD quality takes HD space so keep it in mind.

FRAPS records with pretty high bit rates regardless of what settings you have, so yeah, you want some kind of decoding software. I use VirtualDub which is fairly easy (pick a file, pick a quality, watch it work).

Here's a 2:44 video I did with FRAPS and VD decoding. The file that was uploaded to Youtube is around 300 megs and I think the quality is 'good enough', video was made to showcase my UI.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pnSMVmES2g"]YouTube - Ahune[/ame]
    Last edited by Vorla; 08-02-2009 at 01:36 AM. Reason: Horrible line break

I myself use Xfire's recording utility to capture the video, and I use Sony Vegas to render the completed project. I normally record 1920x1080 at the 30-40 FPS setting(results in 15-20 fps ingame), which generates a file 3gig per minute. When I render the project i reduce it down to 1440x900 which gets the file size down to 250-350mb on average for 10 minute videos.
    This is one of the rendered videos. Please ignore the rotation, this was my first time filling in on the interrupt rotation. The total run length of the video was 7:44, and the size was 256mb.
    [ame="http://www.wegame.com/watch/Backlash_v_Vezax/"]Backlash v Vezax[/ame]
    Last edited by Khilbron; 08-02-2009 at 08:07 AM. Reason: adding content

I got fraps to work but I don't have any cool software to edit it with ;P!

I had Hypercam2 before and used debugmode editing to make cool effects xD

any suggestions?

Sony Vegas and Adobe Premier are the most common editing programs.

If you don't have access to either (niether are really cheap) windows comes with a movie maker that works in a pinch.

Oh and I use Fraps, I think most people do. Fraps is easy to find if you know where to look.

Be a Champion, not a hero.
    Drae

http://www.zetbit.com/sig-1454507.jpg

+ Reply to Thread