+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Druid Tank Trinket advice

Druid Tank Trinket advice

I am kinda new to Druid Tanking. But i need some advice on Trinkets.
    I currently have Essence of Gossamer & Figurine - Monarach Crab w/ 41 Stam & 16 HR. Now I was thinking about replacing the Essence of Gossamer w/ Greatness: Deck +90 Agi, Any input if this would be a viable upgrade?

I use RWAR and it shows it as a really good upgrade but after some discussion on my realm i was told it wasnt a good upgrade for tanking.
    Last edited by Sycosis; 08-01-2009 at 12:00 PM.

Druid tanking trinkets

Hi Sycosis,

Indeed people on ur server were right.
    Cards are not great tanking trinkets.
    Here are good tanking trinkets druid tanks Should be using:

Essence of Gossamer (dah, from H AN)
    Defender's Code ( from H naxx ( ouple bosses))
    Furnace Stone, very good (drops from Ignis in uld 10)
    Heart of Iron, awsome (drops from Ignis in uld 25)
    The General's Heart, very good ( drops from General ve. in uld 25)
    Valor Medal of the First War (40 emblems of heroism)

Since you are starting to tank, you should aim for the 40 emblems one, and essence of gossamer. The most HP and avoidance ( dodge/armor ) ull get, the more likely you will be invited into raids like Ulduar ( where you will need alot ).

Getting a HP trinket and a Dodge one is always nice way to gear up, since u need to balance HP and dodge alot. But when u start doing Uld with over 40% dodge 35k hp, you can just take wichever trinkets drops.

Taking Defense rating trinkets CAN be good, but only when you reach the 50% dodge cap. ( so go for Dodge>>defense trinkets, for more avoidance )

Hope this helped, Vax

Getting Dps trinkets such as the Mirror of truth can also be considered for fights where survivability is not a problem and you just want to make things go faster (exacly like the Unrelenting assault warrior spec)

Quote Originally Posted by vaxenerien View Post
    Indeed people on ur server were right.
    Cards are not great tanking trinkets.
    erm No?

Greatness on proc gives 4-5% Critical chance and 4-5% Dodge, roughly on proc as well as 1-2% critical / dodge base. It will often proc multiple times per fights provided the fight is long enough for the ICD to expire. So for roughly 15 Seconds of every minute you flat out harder to hit and you deal more damage to help with threat.

Essence of Gossamer is around 1650 Hitpoints in bear form and the proc will shave 140 damage off of all incoming melee for 10 seconds.

If you are tanking any boss which is mostly melee damage, chances are Greatness is going to cause you to take less damage over the duration because it's flat out better for a incoming melee round to outriht miss you then for you to hae an extra 1600 hp to absorb it. It's rare that 1600 hp is going to be the break point between you taking one more round then you could previously, and in the case of something like Patchwerk, if he can't one round you, this trinket is not likely to make it so he can't two round you.

Don't get me wrong the Essence is a good trinket until you can afford a Greatness Deck, and it's a good trinket if your stamina isn't all that high to begin with. It's also a decent trinket for when your tanking something which is mostly magical damage. However for most bosses the Greatness Deck is one of the best pre-uludar trinkets out there.

Since they took out our Armor bonus from Trinkets, the Defender's Code isn't even that great any longer.

I personally use the Valor Medal and Greatness Card, but the Crab is really nice also I'm just not a JCer.

-Fenier

Damn that right, i messed up, Thx for correcting me
    Though for Starting druids, im prety convinces Emblems/crab/essence are the best trinkets Till u can get uld ones.
    And also, thx for correcting me, fenier, on the armor thing. I totaly forgot.

90 agi and 900 on procs definatly is alot, concidering it increases armor crit ap and dodge at same time. ^^

But still, I wouldnt spend 9 thousand golds on a trinket lol, and certainly not when ur new to what u wanna do.

greatness is 1.52% dodge base with an additional 3.48% dodge at roughly 33% uptime.

the emblem trinket is 1.4% dodge with a 5.2% dodge at 17% uptime.

Greatness is also providing solid TPS gains and crit rating for SD. I think it still has it's place against ulduar trinkets in the tanking and the dps department. It serves double duty as one of the better tanking trinkets and one of the better dps trinkets until T9 content.

Mjolnir Runestone & Greatness = Cats BiS
    Heart of Iron & Greatness = Bears BiS

Get Greatness and use it with the Monarch Crab. This combo should suffice till late 3.2 or till Ignis is so nice to drop the Heart of Iron for you.

hey thx guys for the advice and will be sure to pick it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwolzor View Post
    Mjolnir Runestone & Greatness = Cats BiS
    Heart of Iron & Greatness = Bears BiS

Get Greatness and use it with the Monarch Crab. This combo should suffice till late 3.2 or till Ignis is so nice to drop the Heart of Iron for you.
    this is not true

dark matter and comets trail are both better than greatness (although very very slightly)

the yogg 10 man trinket with the parry use is also better than greatness for tanking.

In situations where I need more threat I use mark of norgannon instead of monarch crab

Personally, my mindset when choosing trinkets is one for stam/hp and the other for avoidance. I use the greatness card and the crab atm with the intent of dropping the crab for heart of iron Heart of Iron - Item - World of Warcraft

I gotta say, I prefer health over dodge/crit for most things. Dodge is great for mitigating physical damage, but the extra health is better for mitigating the bosses that do spikes of magical damage [Hodir, OS, etc].

That said, I would go with Greatness. It has a continuous effect that boosts dodge and crit, with a proc that increases it more. Overall, it's the better trinket, usually.

Of course, right now I'm kicking myself for not grabbing more threat-gear. I've been gearing primarily for EH, and am running into being threat capped pretty badly for some of the bosses; Hodir in particular, but also Ignis Freya-adds.

+ Reply to Thread