+ Reply to Thread

Thread: So much gear to keep track of

So much gear to keep track of

Guys,

Thanks in advance. Looking for a strategy to keep track of the 4 sets of gear i'm actively working on my warrior and whether there is a more efficient way to do it, i'm looking for strategies. Currently i maintain a DPS,PVP,Prot (EH/AV), and Prot (Threat) set.. or atleast pieces for each of those builds. Its becoming a full time job just planning on what gear is an appropriate upgrade for what set. Maybe i'm overanalyzing but in the little time you have when a raid boss drops a piece of gear until the time you can see if it "works into your plans" i need to be able to make a sensible decision. How do you guys handle managing current gear and possible looming upgrades. It seems like i do most of my time planning.

Thanks again,
    KK

WoW currently has an in game equipment manager that is fairly good. You just have to turn it on through your interface options. Also there is a add on called outfitter that works well.

RatingBuster is a great addon that can give you a breakdown of what stats will change and how much, based on what you're wearing. However...I don't know if mine is just outdated (curse keeps things updated for me) or what, but I've noticed a number of items don't do what RB says they will. For example, an item will show in RB that HP will go up 270, but in reality, it drops 10hp once I put it on....not sure what the deal is.

But I feel your pain, when Mainset rolls are limited, you want to make sure you're rolling on the things you really want, and making that decision on the fly can be rough when Master looterr has a quick countdown.

Only other thing I can think of is to do the research beforehand, and have a list ready to refer to.
    Tineg
    -something witty here-

Some people use a site called char dev. Cant remember exactly chardev.org v6 ~ a World of Warcraft character planner there it is. I dont use it personally but I believe atlas loot has an option to make a wish list of gear you want to upgrade to as well.

Does anyone know a good alternative to chardev? Char dev has been miscalculating armor and avoidance ratings.

Wowhead just added a Profiler, not sure on its accuracy though for avoidance stats (well they admit that their dodge is probably off).

Also someone mentioned RatingsBuster, WoW has basically built that in with 3.2. When you shift+mouse-over an item, it'll show you what you gain/lose from that item.

I think you have 2 options basically. Option 1 is to do your homework and make up a list for each spec and each slot ranking every drop you might see between your current item and BiS so that you'll know whether to roll just by the item name. This is basically the same as the gear lists on the site here, filtered for the content you run. In my case we only run 10 man without hard modes, so those items don't even make the charts. If you run all the 25/hard encounters, then I presume you could just keep those lists handy instead.

Whenever you get an upgrade that list would just get shorter at the bottom, and new content would most likely add to the top. Sounds like a lot of work but once you do it once it would be pretty trivial to maintain a spreadsheet. I don't know of a web tool that would manage it to this level for you, which would also be fast enough to not keep your ML waiting on you every time. This is something I'd always meant to do, but just haven't spent the effort. In fact I'd love to see a web tool do precisely this, including the filtering for 10/25/hard modes, so everyone could use it.

Option 2 is to set up your gear sets using an addon, and just be able to do a quick on-the-fly comparison to your current items.

I like Outfitter for that purpose. Once you set up your gear sets, it's quick to equip any set (ie. Tank EH or DPS). That part Bliz basically rolled into the default UI. What I prefer about Outfitter though is it'll also add a list to each item's tooltip of which sets that item is used in. That's just incredibly useful while digging through your bags and deciding what you don't need to keep anymore.

When a piece of gear drops it just takes a second to equip set X (assuming you've got that gear in your bags), shift-hover the dropped item for a tooltip compare, and roll or pass while switching back to whichever set you were using.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorina View Post
    When a piece of gear drops it just takes a second to equip set X (assuming you've got that gear in your bags), shift-hover the dropped item for a tooltip compare, and roll or pass while switching back to whichever set you were using.
    Now that BoP isn't quite BoP (for 2 hours), in a *really* comfy raid like a guild raid, you could pass it around between contenders and actually equip it (exception: Tier gear).

+ Reply to Thread