+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Threat issues

Threat issues

Goodday fellow bear tanks!

I have threat issues! oh noes!

One of the major things why I have threat issues is my hit/expertise atm, it's really low and i'm working on improving it but atm I just can't lower sta/avoidance stats.

So I have to look in other places.

First of all, my rotation...

1) Maul on every attack
    2) Keep mangle on cooldown
    3) Keep FFF on cooldown
    4) Keep 5 stack lacerate up
    5) Swipe when you do not need to do any of the above

That's it right? I just recently read about swipe being better in threat then lacerate initial hit and I still have to get used to it ...

Now cooldowns...
    When do you guys pop berserk ? Atm it depends on the fight, if I have to move at the start I miss a lot of threat and I just pop it right away just to keep the boss on me...
    I guess the perfect moment would be after getting 5 stacks of lacerate up .. ?
    And should I still spam FFF off cooldown during berserk ?

Last but not least, idol
    Atm I use Idol of Terror, should I switch to Idol of Perspicacious Attacks if I have threat issues?

Thanks in advance for the help!

edit: oh and char would be Drakie on Skullcrusher EU but like I said, I know my hit/expertise sucks, just can't replace it untill the items I want start dropping...

I had to look at your armory for 2 seconds to tell you it's your hit rating. bring this up and youll notice the difference immediatly.

TLDR: Get expertise to 26 before worrying about hit, move talent points into Natural and Master Shapeshifter for extra 2% damage/threat, get a new chest.

I agree that your hit is low and more hit would mean more threat. Remember though that until you hit the soft cap of 26 expertise, expertise is twice as good as hit since it affects dodge and parry, while hit only affects misses. If you are desperate you might even gem for some expertise, or enchant your gloves with expertise, to get close to the soft cap of 26. (Anti-troll disclaimer: I am not saying that expertise is better stat overall than agility. I am not saying that everyone should gem for expertise over agility. I am saying that your threat would increase if you gem for some expertise to get closer to soft cap, if that is your priority then go for it.)

I would also tweak your spec - drop the 2 points in Feral Aggression, and drop the 3 points in Improved Mangle. Put them in 3/3 Natural Shapeshifter, and 2/2 Master Shapeshifter under the resto tree. The 2% increase in damage is a 2% increase in threat. The points you are giving up in improved mangle shouldn't gimp your threat, if you are using FFF in your rotation (and you should be) then the cooldowns on mangle and FFF should be nicely staggered throughout the fight. (In any content where you really need the increased AP reduction for your Demo Roar, you should have a warrior to keep up his Demo Shout.)

Your chest isn't doing you any favors, either. Prioritize that as a replacement.

Peace.

Thanks a lot.

I was idd playing around with dropping imp Mangle but I was thinking of getting it back into imp demo roar for Algalon... (doing it with a pala as 2nd tank so no war for demo).
    Luckily on that fight my threat isn't an issue since our pala starts out and when I taunt over I got a nice head start already and the dps reset anyway...

So I'll just do what you sugested for most fights and swap to a spec with imp demo for algalon...

I'll look at the expertise more I guess and the chest should indeed be replaced but I need the boost in stamina untill I get a couple of hard mode items.

What do you guys think on the idol?

Use the BC badge-Idol even with threat-issues.

To be honest, your gear-set looks odd to me. Not just on the "threat-front" but also avoidance wise. While you have 3k more hp than my druid in full EH-Gear you also loose roughly 8% dodge post-DR(!). Thats hughe!

I took the liberty to play with your gear around in RAWR and even for T8,5 Hardmodes with a 1,4 swing-timer RAWR suggests that AGI >>> STAM for you. For less-extreme settings it even suggests almost all other stats to be more valuable than stam. Rawr would replace all your pvp-gear with T7,0 content pices, sometimes even with Faction-Rewards (the chest for example).

That being said: Get imp. Demo-Roar if no one else is able to aply it, its that good. Not just for Algalon and his hard hits for every boss that hits hard (i.e. all Hardmodes but especialy Thorim, Steelbreaker and Algalon).

Switch the 8haste 12stam and 8resi 12stam gems to 8hit 12stam gems.

Heh, kudos to your raid if you are doing Algalon in that gearset. Frankly, you are vastly undergeared for it, which is why you are having threat problems.

Trying to tackle higher content when you are undergeared forces you to have to gimp something - stam, threat, or avoidance (maybe threat AND avoidance). You'll get a better balance when you get more than 2 pieces of U-10 gear.

it's temporary while our 2nd tank is on vacation...

last week 7% wipe on enrage

+ Reply to Thread