+ Reply to Thread

Thread: threat issues

threat issues

Good morning i've been playing a protection warrior on and off for the last 3 or so years and have always managed to remain relatively high in threat until recently. My threat was fine through naxx 25 but recently in ulduar 10/25 its simply not been enough ive been hitting 3-4k steady with some spike threat 6k+. dps is constantly either having to slow down alot because many of them do out gear me or they are riding my threat like a bullet. Then recently i notice another warrior tank in the guild pulling more threat then myself in less gear so im wondering if its my rotation.

Ive basically kept shield slam and revenge on cd from the start put up devastates as quickly as possible in between it as well keeping conc blow/shockwave on cd in place of some devastates in single target fights.

My armory
    The World of Warcraft Armory

My guildies armory
    The World of Warcraft Armory

i see you are hit capped, but not at the 6.5% expertise dodge cap, youre still 3% away according to armory. what about heroic strike? are you spamming when rage is available? you didnt mention it at all in your post.
    i've tanked 3 cars on my bike...wiped on every encounter.

bah to early for me usually. but yes i am using heroic strike when i go above 50 rage and keeping it up until i drop below. and for the expertise im usually running around with rhinolicious wormsteaks that bring me to 5-6% i believe

That is a puzzle. What is really baffling is that you use the glyph of vigilance and your guildie doesn't. I have to assume that you put vigilance on your top DPS so I have no clue why you are losing threat except possibly rotation. If you are spamming devastate to get the sunders to 5 you could be losing threat as devastate is not too high on the threat meter. Try TC, Shockwave, Shield Slam, Devastate, Heroic strike and see if that helps.

im gonna have to try that this evening when i log in ty. was even thinking of switcing glyph of regen to blocking for the slight block val increase witohut sacking my avoidance

Another idea might be to run a combatlog or if you already do, check your WWS/WMO/WOL and see what is happening with your abilities, and compare them with your warrior friend.

I'd say get rid of your Glyph of Enraged Regen, it really won't help much in the grand scheme of things unless there's a healer issue. Blocking or Devastate will provide you with more threat as well.
    Toblerone - Space Goat Warrior
    Chupachup - Space Goat Shaman

Actually I have quite a few suggestions for you. The expertise cap is important but not nearly as much as your current tanking setup. And I mean for your raid and not you personally. Things to keep in mind here. Your partner is still running the standard block setup. Which of course has high amounts of threat. Your current spec is a mitigation spec. You loose threat with this build for to trade out for mitigation.

Running your current spec is fine, it is in fact currently the standard for ulduar warrior tanks atm. But I wouldn't compare your threat to his, as it wont match at all. In ulduar mitigation is everything. in naxx the mitigation was strictly block, exspecially for the threat levels.

Suggestions......

I'm assuming you used to dps alot or something. I would change out your enraged regen glyph for a glyph of revenge.

Change the enchant on your hands to 2% threat and parry. This will bring your threat up a bit.

Keep vigilance on your highest dps if you continue to use this build. As you trade threat for mitigation with that current build. Personally I won't be using that build anymore. Because it's not necissary for 10 man ulduar. it's a smaller group, therefore you have better dynamic and communication than in 25's. The mobs hit so hard in 25 that the mitigation is almost required. in 10, not so much. it really depends on which you spend more time in. And which role you play more often.

The mitigation spec is primarily MT. if you spend alot of time OT, Id be more concerned about threat. other than that you look pretty good. It's just a matter of adjusting yourself to your current group and playstyle. I prefer the mitigation spec on 25's and not my 10 man. And i'm not particularly fond of the mitigation spec all around because it is hugely gear dependant. If you are running a fully compliment of 10/25 ulduar gear i'd suggest running your partners spec for a bit. You'll take a bit more damage, but nothing unmanageable.

+ Reply to Thread