+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ulduar Mimiron (Hard Mode)

Quote Originally Posted by cudmaster View Post
    Why are you having the tank taunt at the end of phase 3?

The Leviathan (bottom) agro carries over from phase 1 and head agro carries over from phase 3 independently; so unless you are trying to get a warrior tank to tank the bottom and the top (with spell reflect) or something, it is really just making your lives more difficult since whoever is going to tank the head in phase 3 will need to pull agro off the MT.

For my money it is best to have the two parts tanked by separate folks.
    Magnuss on these forums regularly tanks both the head and the body to make use of Spell Reflect. To be clear, Spell Reflect is on too long of a cooldown to be used on every plasma ball, so him being able to do this is a sign he can fully take the damage of the top and bottom simultaneously.

Quote Originally Posted by Bihn View Post
    No less than three people died in ttocs' video.
    And this is from a guild that has downed it before. Most people coming to these guides are looking for their first downing, and expecting perfect execution is critical. notice also that at least one of the people dying was a priest who goes into Spirit form, so the dps lossed there is not felt.

We're not trying to say, ZOMG wipe it if 1 person dies, but if a strategy is being performed to make sure the heartiest characters are taking the punch, without gimping the overall dps of the raid, in order to meet enrage timers, why would anyone have any qualms over it?

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    And this is from a guild that has downed it before. Most people coming to these guides are looking for their first downing, and expecting perfect execution is critical. notice also that at least one of the people dying was a priest who goes into Spirit form, so the dps lossed there is not felt.

We're not trying to say, ZOMG wipe it if 1 person dies, but if a strategy is being performed to make sure the heartiest characters are taking the punch, without gimping the overall dps of the raid, in order to meet enrage timers, why would anyone have any qualms over it?
    I just took issue with the tone. It's someone speaking in absolutes without mentioning counter evidence only several posts above him. I don't think that benefits the discussion and, frankly, detracts from the integrity of the guide.

I'm just looking for a caveat, man.
    Bihn | <Summit>
    Seatbelts.

Caveat:

People shouldn't die. Don't let people die unnecessarily like having a warlock tank the head when a tank would be better in phase 4. Enrage timers are tight.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    Caveat:

People shouldn't die. Don't let people die unnecessarily like having a warlock tank the head when a tank would be better in phase 4. Enrage timers are tight.
    That's not really what I was looking for. :-(
    Last edited by Bihn; 07-27-2009 at 05:22 PM. Reason: deleted snarkiness.
    Bihn | <Summit>
    Seatbelts.

Could you explain why Holy Nova is so incredibly powerful vs. (say) Druid HoTs or PW:S spam?
    Fayre - Soldiers of Azeroth, Aggramar(EU)
    http://www.soldiersofazeroth.net/
    We are recruiting! See here for more details.

We had a really good druid manage it with hot spam/WG, but PW:S isn't really in the same category. If your group gets shot twice/thrice in a row that's not going to save you. It's also one GCD, and doesn't debuff the player from another PW:S if it's really necessary.
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. -Seneca
    Everyone marvels at a square egg, but only the chicken understands the PAIN.

It also is instant healing vs a HoT which ticks and only "negates" the damage of sorts since a lot of the damage is not just a single big hit but rather just burst DoTs combined with the laser hits the damage is really nasty.

Our priests do this fight disc, and frankly, we normally only have one priest, we can't meet the often quoted priest-stacking requirement. It's certainly doable, post-nerf, with druids and disc priests healing the groups. We didn't get 25man down pre-nerf, but there's no reason druids can't deal with the damage on a group now. We've even done it with a resto shaman.

--
    Meloree, <Edge>, Garona

In regards to holy nova spam, from a purely single group healing perspective (which is what you seem to be focusing on) I'm fairly certain you'd want to run with at least one group being healed by a disc priest. Unless I'm mistaken you're going to get overall higher healing done on your group being discipline. Permanent borrowed time haste (the 25% extra haste on next cast after a shield isn't consumed by instant cast spells), permanent 4 piece 250 spellpower bonus, 30% of crit heals (even overheals) as divine aegis shields for absorption reducing overall actual damage taken as well as being able to throw out a power word shield in every 5 second rotation on any low health individual in the raid. You get 4 holy novas and a power word shield off every 5 seconds, whereas as holy you get 4 holy novas in 5 seconds (assuming any reasonable level of haste). Although the healing is slightly lower per cast, you're getting more casts off and you get an extra cast per rotation for shields.

I've only done Mimiron hard mode on 10 man so I can't speak from experience but from the way you're doing it being fairly similar I'd say that one disc priest and 2 holy priests instead of 3 holy would be beneficial what with the increased mitigation for your group, overall similar actual healing done to that group and the ability to throw out large shields on spike targets more frequently than a holy priest (and to greater effect). Furthermore Pain Suppression is better for plasma blast than Guardian Spirit, and having a disc priest in phase 1 to shield+hasted penance+hasted flash heal combo the napalm shells is amazing.
    Last edited by kivnel; 07-31-2009 at 08:39 PM.

1 thing I find a little odd, which I have not done this on 25 man, only 10 man.. it may be different.. but in P2 (which along with P3 is one of the hardest parts of the fight) we had to have all melee stack on the opposite side of the casters. Since melee generally has more HP than casters and caster standing with ranged get pushback from the cannon.. melee standing 180 degrees from casters (directly opposite) then moving 90 degrees (not facing casters) to move out of the cannon seemed to help with all-around heals and prevent deaths in P2.

It seems like your melee is all over the place in P2, doesn't matter if they are on the same side as the casters. Is this a strategy flaw or is there a reason this does not matter?
    Your ad could be here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubzil View Post
    caster standing with ranged get pushback from the cannon.
    07/01/09
    * In the Mimiron encounter, the abilities Rapid Burst and Hand Pulse no longer cause spell pushback.
    "We actually talked today about adding an item level 300 shirt that did absolutely nothing but mess with mods that attempt to boil down players to gear scores. " -Ghostcrawler

Quote Originally Posted by Dubzil View Post
    It seems like your melee is all over the place in P2, doesn't matter if they are on the same side as the casters. Is this a strategy flaw or is there a reason this does not matter?
    Melee aren't in static spots - we run through/around him to minimize the damage we take from the cannon.

And yeah, no pushback.

We're working on this in 10 man and having a few problems:

Phase 1: There's one bomb spawn at the beginning after you press the button. There's another bomb spawn after the 1st plasma blast (or thereabouts). These always pick at least one ranged in the middle. This means that the middle gets filled with fire. Additionally, it usually picks one of the healers that's behind the tank, thus leading to a wall of fire between the tank and the healers (which means the tank has to move fast past those fire spawns, which then forces ranged/healers to move even farther). How do we avoid these things?

The video doesn't show the middle a lot of the time and as far as I can tell you don't even get any fire bombs spawning in the middle. It also doesn't say how you avoid getting napalm on 3-4 people because all of the ranged are standing in the middle.

Phase 2: We've been spreading out into 2 groups of ranged (2-3 people each) and have each group move clockwise as the fire spreads. The people always end up dying when there are 3 bursts on the same group or when a laser barrage starts on their position and they can't run fast enough at the range that they're at. We always end up with lines of fire from the center to the walls because of the bombs spawning on people in the middle during phase 1.
    Last edited by Arianne; 08-03-2009 at 01:57 AM.

Hello all,

I just registered a minute ago to ask you guys a question.
    As I was watching the video (awesome) I noticed something that was kind of remarkable to me.
    As the fight is going on I can see the dk crit for like 15k all the time, this is a mystery to me , but I wanted to know how and what.
    So , I thought maybe armory would show the spec , but sadly the Dk in this video doesnt have the frost spec anymore you see in the video.
    My question is; Is this kind of gameplay still possible? Or did it change during 3.2? I'm sorry if there's already a post about this, if there is , please show me where to find it , since I have been looking for a while now...

Best regards
    Last edited by Phaild0rf; 08-20-2009 at 04:46 AM. Reason: addition

The frost tree has changed quite a bit in 3.2. 2H Frost isn't nearly as effective as it was there and Frost Strike had it's damage reduced as well as the Sigil. So, it's unlikely you'll be seeing those 15K crits in 3.2.

Ah too bad , thanks for the reply though

Tried this last night. Had trouble seeing the frost bombs so I got gimped ;(

ok, my guild tried this for the first time last night and couldn't get beyond p2. our raid group consisted of warlock/mage/hunter ranged dps, pala/blood dk as melee, prot warr and frost dk as tanks and shaman/druid/holy priest as healers. any advice as to how we could possibly survive p2 blasts as it kept killing the healers. guild is strict 10-man btw, so that's the sort of level gear we are in, and only yogg and mimiron hard are left for our rusted drakes

You shouldn't need two tanks, add an extra dps to down it faster.

+ Reply to Thread