+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pally Vs Warr

Pally Vs Warr

ok i need some help on the warr/pally debate wich is better for tanking or r they equalley the same

they can both perform equally if played at the same gear level with people of the same skill.
    The Hideous result...

well wat r the advantages of both sides

I play a paladin, so I can say that paladins still top warrs in an AOE situations. My guild doesnt run with a war ATM so i cant realy say much about their streangths. I do know thunderclap on AOE packs is good for limiting damage as is demo shout etc... also they have good mobility with things like warbringer and intervene. I sure a war could add more to this list =D
    The Hideous result...

Taurens>>rest.

I agree, and your stunns should knock gnome down =p
    The Hideous result...

Don't get me wrong ,but this tread is pointless.MMO Champion is for treads like this.

They both have strengths and weaknesses, it's generally the player behind the class that determines how well they perform.

Their are 2 major differences between a warrior and a paladin. I'm at work so i don't really have time to drop a lot of linking to talents and such. Anyways, a paladin is best suited for off tanking & aoe agro, very much like a death knight. A warrior in similar Ilvl gear will be unable to out threat em on aoe and will take a little more dmg due to the buffs and spells a paladin has. A paladin will make a perfectly acceptable main tank on bosses or trash, BUT, they are not the BEST possible choice.

A warrior has some special abilities that give them the edge on a paladin while tanking a raid boss simply because of the unique abilities and talents they have. They can do 1. Shield wall *stopping 100% dmg for a short while* vs 1. Divine Protection (I believe thats what it is called), Which only provides the paladin with 50% reduction to dmg taken.

2. The cool downs on a warrior's rotation for enabling shield wall is considerably shorter, thus over the long haul they take less dmg and can get out of a sticky situation a bit easier.

3. The warrior has an option of going Tauren instead of Orc, which increases total HP from racial abilities. vs 3. a paladin can only be blood elf (for horde) *not familiar with alliance :P Their racial ability enables them to regain 6% mana and silence enemies which is used for trash/casters not raid bosses who are usually immune.

As i'm unable to get a bit more accurate at this current moment, i'm sure if you go through the talents on both paladin and warrior im pretty sure you will find the warrior has the best damage reduction. Thus they have a better survivability chance currently with 3.1

Class comparisons are highly discouraged and are likely to end up being closed. Occasionally these things can not turn into flamewars and whinefests, but odds are not good
    Play the class you enjoy the most. Asking a community full of bias individuals what they think is the better class generally ends up going nowhere.

there are some threads on here discussing the strengths and weaknesses of each tanking class with numbers and example. it would be better to search for those than make a new thread, which usually does get locked because they turn into mass QQ fests and ppl flaming everyone.

honestly, it comes down to which class you want to tank with and which gives you more enjoyment. this game is about having fun, and if you dont have fun playing whichever class you pick, then you might as well quit/reroll now before it gives you ulcers.

i say level them both up, decide which one you want to tank with more, then the other one you dont tank with can be a farming toon, pvp toon, dps/heal toon etc.
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Flee View Post
    .......A paladin will make a perfectly acceptable main tank on bosses or trash, BUT, they are not the BEST possible choice.
    I beleive this is personal opinion with very little basis in fact.

A warrior has.......Shield wall *stopping 100% dmg for a short while*

2. The cool downs on a warrior's rotation for enabling shield wall is considerably shorter, thus over the long haul they take less dmg and can get out of a sticky situation a bit easier.
    This information is incorrect. In "standard" form shield wall is a 60% reduction with a five minute cooldown. Talents shave 60 seconds off. Most warriors glyph it to reduce the CD another 120 seconds, down to two minutes, but it also reduces the damge reduction to 40%. In the end, most warriors have shield wall reducing 40% damage every two minutes, VS the paladin's divine protection that is a 50% DR, also available every two minutes.

As i'm unable to get a bit more accurate at this current moment, i'm sure if you go through the talents on both paladin and warrior im pretty sure you will find the warrior has the best damage reduction. Thus they have a better survivability chance currently with 3.1
    Paladins have better base spell mitigation, and physical damage mitigation is on-par.

Warriors do have last stand, a temporary increase in total health pool, this is an "active" ability that warriors can use when things get "sticky". Paladins have ardent defender, a passive ability, which is "meh" now, but is getting buffed in 3.2.

Also warrior have shield block, which will increase their chance to block by a large amount for a short period. Combined with critical blocks (exclusive to warriors) it can reduce physical damage by a significant amount for a short period of time. However, paladin's "holy shield" (our ability that increases our block chance) has a 100% uptime, so we block almost every incoming hit, making our damage intake a little bit more "even".

Paladins and warriors are actually very similar in an overall view, but with very different flavors to each class. Well played, either one can be a great MT.

+ Reply to Thread