+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Building new PC, can use advice

Building new PC, can use advice

I'm terrible when it comes down to hardware and have been using the same machine for the last 2 years. I have friends that can help me build a new one but I'm unsure of which parts to get. I want to get a machine that will run me at least another 2-3 years. Price range is $800 (give or take $100) Any suggestions?

9800GT (Video card)
    Intel Core 2 Duo @ any Ghz u want
    500G HDD ( I use Hitachi)
    A nice motherboard as long as it doesn't crap out, check reviews for it.
    4 Gigs of Ram--Ram is cheap so don't worry bout that--
    Thats the basics, just makes sure the hardware dosn't suck i.e if its super cheap it sucks
    Buy from newegg aswell they have great customer service, its where i bought my parts.

Yeah, all my previous parts came from newegg. Should I worry about compatibility issues with the MB? As well as getting a proper tower since I had issues with overheating in the past.

Dismember is offline Я являюсь удивительным
    You should be able to do better than a 9800GT while staying within your budget. You can get a 260 GTX for under $200 from NewEgg these days.

You shouldn't run into any CPU/mobo compatibility issues as long as you get the right socket format. If you want to ezmoad it, go for one of NewEgg's cpu/mobo packages. What's more important as it pertains to mobo compatibility is memory selection. When you decide on your mobo, get the approved memory list for it (you can usually find it on the manufacturers website) and make sure you purchase memory that is on the list. Certain boards and chipsets just do not like certain memory modules from certain manufacturers, and you end up with a combo that won't POST.

So far this is what I have selected.
    Motherboard - Newegg.com - EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX X58 SLI LE Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
    Processor - Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
    Gfx Card - Newegg.com - EVGA 896-P3-1170-AR GeForce GTX 275 896MB 448-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
    Memory - Newegg.com - CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8D - Desktop Memory

This is somewhat pricey, is the upgrade between the 2.66 vs 3.06 chip big enough to warrant the extra ~$200? Anywhere else that I can afford to cut corners to make this cheaper? Does everything look compatible or/and are there better parts that I should consider?

Still need
    -Case (needs enough space + good cooling)
    -HD's (perhaps Raptor for OS/Gaming, and 500gig for all else)
    -PSU
    -CD Drive (anything will do)

Thanks.

I must say as you mentioned earlier Fame I find the case to be a very important consideration. Admittedly I live in Africa and have to deal with 40 DegC summers so no amount of fans is to many. But the heat coming of the newer GFX cards and processors is quite significant and critical if you overclock. I have been using a Thermaltake with the big 23cm fans as they run nice and silent.
    grinding in the African bush...........

Also in regards to PSU, i recall reading a while back that its better to get one that uses up more then you actually need. It had something to do with the PSU using a % and a higher watt PSU will consume less energy. Or is that entirely backwards.

Will I be needing a Full or a Mid size case since I know whichever version of NVIDIA that I will get will be COLOSSAL!

Personally I wouldn't waste the money on the 950 cpu. You can easily overclock the 920 chip to that with very little effort and save yourself $200. I currently run my Corei7 920 cpu at 3.7ghz on all stock voltages no problem. I do use a TRUE to keep the cpu cool though, I'm not entirely sure how big of an overclock the stock HSF can handle.

I got my rig off newegg for about $800-$1000 since I got some basic stuff to make sure it worked and then upgraded it, increasing the cost.

I went with a AMD 3.0 GHz Windsor processor in a bundle with a Radeon HD 4350, Gigabyte micro ATX motherboard, and 2 2gig ram sticks that cost me all together $185 including shipping.

Also bought a $80 tower that came with a 585W power supply, had to grab a special adapter for my mouse and keyboard because the motherboard only had a keyboard port (I dont use a USB mouse or keyboard), which cost about $3.

Heatsink cost me about $30, got a DVD drive and a DVD burner, got a 1TB HDD for $80, which dropped to $70 the DAY after I ordered it (god damnit), and once it arrived it all worked once assembled.

Later I upgraded to a Radeon HD 4890 (ohhhhh yeah max FPS at all times on WoW) and bought a new monitor.

Search around for a decent bit of time until you find a few good bundles and you can get an AMAZING computer for under $500.

Then again, if you aren't like me and don't have a copy of an OS to use to install, might wanna add 100-200 onto that, but still in your price range (assuming you don't need a monitor and don't go for the 4890-at least not immediately) you should be still under the $800 range.

Just make sure everything is compatible (CHECK THE SPECS VERY VERY VERY CAREFULLY AND HAVE ANYONE YOU KNOW IS QUALIFIED/INFORMED LOOK AT IT TOO) and you have enough space in your tower and enough power in your supply to run it all, and you should be good.

That being said, it took me a good month and a half to get the initial comp up and running, and another few weeks to get the monitor and 4890.

I highly recommend AMD over Intel when on a budget. Intel is undoubtably better, but thats also reflected in the higher prices. And thats not begrudging AMD AT ALL.

I think this setup will last you a good deal of years running wow or anything else without any problems (:
    "Yes." - Captain Obvious

yeah that's quite a beast you've got Brooklyn.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Do you play games where you need that much GPU power? You could run WoW on a 8800GTX perfectly. The graphics card won't make much of a difference, the processor will.

I'm simply future proofing the pc so i wont have to upgrade for at least 2-3 years. Next up is a 30" touchscreen for [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-oArux66gA]YouTube - RUSE gameplay on touch-screen table[/ame]

Really nice setup you picked out. Pretty much the exact same as mine besides different case and brand of ram.

+ Reply to Thread