+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rookie tank needs advice - Vig

Yea in Ulduar CS is not really an option.

The GM is our best Pally tank, and he had all the adds, if I CS i die instantly due to all the adds that hit hard, hitting me in the back. I can honestly say that I have never used CS in Ulduar, and most likely never will. My HP buffed is 36K and that is just not enough to handle the AOE from Kolo and the adds, no healer would be able to keep me up.
    Yea it was a screw up on my part that caused the wipe. Cost everyone 8-10g for repairs. It looks as if the Vig onthe MT, may or may not have helped.

I am a clicker - I think I need to change to macros and key bindings, maybe that would make me better/faster. My threat generation is good on single targets. My 10 Man team MT is a Pally so we swap MT OT for situations.

How many of you still click play? Or has everyone moved to a macro/kinbind player?

I am looking for ways to improve.

the adds on kologarn i like to set up w/ a cleave right away, it will stay there until a target is up, no need to target it yourself-then i shockwave them as soon as i see a red target and thunderclap/demo shout. Always works for me 10/25-and i never use vig at all-its actually gone from my spec tree b/c my GM is also a pally tank and prefers another buff over vig.

Get those key binds going, no way you can clickyour way through Ulduar, you will be amazed at the change.

Sorry I have to ask this because I think there is another mechanic of the fight you are not understanding or I am missing something.

Why did you have anything but the torso targetted if you were the second body tank and hence made a click error on taunt?

The pally GL was the add tank right and you and another tank were the body tanks correct?
    ** Remember Warcraft players fail in directions you never thought possible.

Gee uglybbtoo a freakin mistake! that theme was started inthe first post, yes I MADE A MISTAKE and had the incorrect bodypart targeted. The error was not the taunt, it was the target of the taunt.
    I did not have the torso targeted when running in, I actually had the left arm, as when I was clicking to target it had swung in front of the body.

I KNOW that is my fault, and the purpose of this post was to find out more about Vig and who is should be on.

LOL settle down ... no got it you were belting on left arm from start.

I was making sure you realized the hit boxes overlap you dont need to target anything other than the torso.

I have seen tanks think they have to tank the arm tab targetting betwen them all :-)

ok yep i f'd up on this one big time

been there many times before, just f'd this one up

and now having checked the raid sign up's have been replaced by my GM

Guess I am really shopping for new server and guild now

I strongly strongly strongly recommend immediately changing to key bindings. I use bartender4 as well, since I like my bars to be pretty small. It also makes key binding really easy.

Now, If you use WASD for movement, I have Q,E,R,T,F,G all keybound with main cooldown type skills. I have 1-5 with my normal rotation skills. I use shift modifier the most for things that I don't use as often, I have my taunts on Shift-1 and Shift-2. You may like taunt to be on a normal key without a modifier, but I like having to hit shift to do it, so it doesn't happen on accident.

Now, I do click some things. I'm a DK tank, so things like DnD where I have to pick where I'm going to drop it I click. Though, the more and more I get used to keybindings, the more things I want to keybind, because the difference in speed of use and ease of use is unbelievable.

This said, one of the very first things I would do is set up a keybind system. It'll take some getting used to, but will make you a much better player. Trust me on this. Try it and if you don't want to immediately go and tell everyone else to do the same, message me.

Also, I would look at interfaces on the site, the stock interface with your standard addons like omen/recount and such can become really cluttered. Not to mention things like your target aren't very conviently placed. I like to have my target's health bar and stuff right below my toon. So there is no question as to what I am targeted on. I can see it right there. Also, I like to have alot of open room on the screen so I can get a good view of the entire raid, for situational awareness. Helps when a mob breaks off, or a new add comes in. Or you see that eye beam coming at you, or the damn DPS standing in the death ring again.

Also, zoom out all the way, there is a script command to make the max distance greater then you can set in the interface (/script SetCVar("cameraDistanceMax",50)) . You're toon will only be like a quarter of an inch on the screen, but being able to see the entire island while tanking Sartharion is really useful. Also, if you have an addon like Aloft the little bars for the adds will be very visable and you can see which ones you have aggro on, or need aggro on.

Now, my interface has taken alot of work, as I'm sure most of the peoples on here have. It's just like keybindings. You gotta play with it till it feels right to you, not keep banging your head against the wall getting used to the stock interface/key setup till it becomes comfortable. Cause, it probably won't.

Also, I turned off key board turn buttons. (A = stafe left, and D = strafe right.) If you haven't heard it yet, keyboard turning is slow, and horrible when you need to move quickly. If you just turn the keyboard turn off on your keybindings, it'll become second nature to turn with the mouse. If you have a 5 button mouse, it may be worth trying setting one of the mouse buttons to backing up, I do that and use it for kiting/positioning mobs. It's really useful to be able to kite around a room completely with your mouse and use your other hand for rotation only.

Bummer with that ... good luck and keep tanking

Quote Originally Posted by uglybbtoo View Post
    Why did you have anything but the torso targetted if you were the second body tank and hence made a click error on taunt?
    If you wanna kill the right arm as fast as possible, I as the second tank I would dps the right arm (and apply sunder/TC) when someone is gripped. Makes the fight more fun then just standing there any waiting for de debuff and taunt.

Just make sure to focus the other tank or have another way to keep track on the debuff on him.

Can't see anything wrong with that...

And, regarding the keybindings. Look at the tread in the UI section...

Nomiss
    Thanks, but do you think that the "Goto love Bliz" ultralow DPS of a Prot tank is really gonna make that much of a difference on any target? My Average in Ulduar is something like 1.2K, Bliz has done a great job in keeping that number as low as possible. I jsut DPS (haha ) the chest with no threat moves, apply a SS on occasion to make sure I am not too far from the main tank in OMEN, and wait to be told when he wants me to taunt. I generally keep Battle shout and Commanding shout up to help wiht HP and attack power.

Yea I need to train myself on Keybindings

Again the hit boxes overlap.

TC/Shockwave any shout etc is gonna hit arm anyhow.

Normally dps warrors do the sunder thing anyhow but I guess if you dont have one there may be merit.

So the only thing you can contribute is your absolutely massive dps to the arm ^.^

Not the sort of thing you want to recommend to a new tank as advice IMO.

Hell if you are that bored why not go over and tank some adds and I am sure there are pro tanks that do.

I have a glyph that applies 2 sunders for every devistate I hit

plus I am in to deep wounds so I am loading the boss with DOT's for 50 and 60 dmg every tic

Quote Originally Posted by uglybbtoo View Post
    Im totaly with you...

It's just fun to do something "more" sometimes, same reason that i usaly applies debuffs on freya's adds aswell even when i tank freya... Kolegran is one of the most boring tanking fights in whole ulduar (the rumble tanking helps abit).

I just pointed out that there could be reason for a tank to change target and yes i know that the hit boxes over lap.

Come on do something more helpful :=)

We have a guildie who has song snippets and he cues appropriate snippets to play into vent when he is bored.

Hammer Time, Final Count down, Safety dance we have almost wiped a couple of times with everyone laughing.

Ok, not sure why everyone is mentioning vig on the other tank. I personally would never do it. Except for Mimiron, because of the way we do things. Taunt has got deminishing returns now. So having the ability to taunt more just places you in the deminishing returns table to the point where its immune. frankly dude, I won't say go shopping for a new guild. I find that to be utterly absurd to even suggest such a thing. That kind of stuff is what makes good guilds loose good tanks. or good guilds helping to make good tanks. And it's a challenge now to prove otherwise.

Unless he was all up in your grill like Dives from the 50dkp minus video. Then it would be time for a chat. I to am a clicker, I do fine for my 10 man group. And I did fine in BC. However keybinds work wonders for certain fights and situations. So I use both depending. On a fight like Kolo I would never put vig on the other tank. But thats just me. And the reason for that is my guild is a casual guild with casual raiding. Sometimes the tanks I'm with are sub par. Putting myself into a position to place kolo on diminishing returns for taunt is out of the question.

I would make the suggestions to switch out on 1 crunch instead of 2. This will seem silly to some folks. But I have found it to be perfect for subpar tanks in my guild that are learning the fight for the first time. And a good way for your tanks to learn adjustment for it. Switch at one, by the time they get crunch youll have 10-15 seconds left of it. Once you switch that 10-15 seconds will fall before you get a new stack most of the time.

And this is only temporary until you get used to the fight. Exspecially considering you mentioned somewhere between 34-36k buffed hp's. I'm not sure how long you have been with this guild either. But if they are willing to cut you out for one mistake. i'd sit down and have a talk with them. maybe show them this post and tell him you are making the effort to correct the mistake. Even though you know exactly what it is you did wrong. if hes not willing to sit down and chat with you about it. then he's being rather unreasonable.

+ Reply to Thread