+ Reply to Thread

Thread: General advice(Paladin)

General advice(Paladin)

I've been tanking for as long as I've been playing my paladin and I've become quite good at if it I do say so myself, my only problem being is that I haven't really read up on the things that I could use to better myself(not in depth, but I have tried to grasp them). I'm just wondering if there is anything small or something I'm doing wrong, even if it's something major and I just missed it.

The World of Warcraft Armory

Near all advice is welcome. and thanks to those who do help in advance.

I would personally drop Reckoning because of parry gibs. Other then that your spec seems quite fine. Divine Sacrifice is a nice talent to take instead all the way to improved. The Sacred Shield time + a raid wide damage reduction for certain hard modes is quite nice.

Although parry gibs are something to consider, the main reason to drop reckoning is that it's a small threat boost compared to some other talents. Drop the points in seals of the pure, and reckoning, move them into the ret tree so you can grab conviction/crusade.

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

In general, you have a good setup, but there are a few points to consider. As has been suggested, dropping reckoning is probably a good idea.

Heart of the Crusader and Improved Blessing of Might are usually brought by Retribution paladins. This means shifting the 5 Reckoning points in to the Retribution tree will probably only give you some mana cost reduction (Benediction) and at most 1 point in Conviction due to it requiring 10 points to access. As a side point, if you 10man or heroic without a Ret paladin 3/3 Heart of Crusader is a good idea.

You might consider dropping the 4 points in Seals of the Pure to make 5/5 Conviction possible (or 3/5 Conviction with 2/2 Pursuit of Justice depending on how mobile you like to be). You can squeeze a few more points out of the Protection tree if you want to improve dps even more with the next Tier in the Retribution tree, but that comes with some potential problems.

Gear-wise, everything seems alright except you might want to boost expertise higher (even considering your race and glyphs). If you aren't sure of the benefit of this, examine your combat log and determine what fraction of your deaths are parry related (you being parried, melee getting parried is a different beast altogether, and one I've seen cause many deaths as well...).
    Last edited by Relatur; 07-21-2009 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Formatting fixes.

thanks for the advice everyone, I'll see when I get the chance to visit the paladin trainer to switch over, and Relatur about how much expertise should I be aiming for? because with SoV active I'm at 25 right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Akeber View Post
    Although parry gibs are something to consider, the main reason to drop reckoning is that it's a small threat boost compared to some other talents. Drop the points in seals of the pure, and reckoning, move them into the ret tree so you can grab conviction/crusade.

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft
    To post back about these talents. Divinity ive found leads to huge amounts of overhealing. I wouldnt take it to be completely honest. But that also depends on your healers I suppose. This deep into Ulduar ive found out healers are more than capable of keeping me up without Divinity. I ran with it when I switched from Holy to Prot just because I was quite squishy coming in. Crusade isnt bad but your points would be better served in Seals of the Pure as its more threat increase than overall damage.

Conviction is nice but crits really arent that amazing as with a low crit rating on my Paladin im keeping threat completely fine with DPS pulling well over 7k without my rogues needing to Vanish or ToT (they triangle with glyph) or Warlocks needing to SoulShatter.

As for the OP's Expertise question, 25 should be fine. I run around 19-23 depending on gear im wearing for any given fight. You should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Naelphua View Post
    To post back about these talents. Divinity ive found leads to huge amounts of overhealing. I wouldnt take it to be completely honest. But that also depends on your healers I suppose. This deep into Ulduar ive found out healers are more than capable of keeping me up without Divinity. I ran with it when I switched from Holy to Prot just because I was quite squishy coming in. Crusade isnt bad but your points would be better served in Seals of the Pure as its more threat increase than overall damage.p
    You need to spend points on something to get lower in the prot tree. The choices are divinity, divine sacrifice, or improved HoJ, it's just a matter of personal preference. If you're always the MT, divine sacrifice isn't very useful as you need to bubble to use it in any situation that makes it worth while. There are a few cases where there is lots of raid damage while you're not tanking anything, but they are few. The reduced CD on HoJ can also be useful too.

I'm afraid you're wrong about SotP though. A conviction/crusade build is be more TPS than a build with SotP. That will change come 3.2, but for now it is a fact. See here: Maintankadin • View topic - Theck's MATLAB TPS analysis (A Jonesy derivative work)

I like the build and your gear set up is nice. My only real advice would be to more those points out of benediction and move them else where. The amount of mana is marginal and something like Heart of the crusade increases THE WHOLE groups dps w/the extra crit. My preferance is always put that 1 more point into imporved judgements to keep the LoO active longer and draw a bit more threat and if you have any points at all our biggest threat generator to get to is crusade.
    Hope all this helps, but the coolest thing about talents after you get your 56 in prot for survabitlity its personal preferance.

+ Reply to Thread