+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Effective Health / Mit - Blood DK

Effective Health / Mit - Blood DK

So i've been reading and going back and forth on a number of issues. Gemming pure STAM can put me nearly 50k hps, but my dodge suffers a ton. I've read to aim for 565 def, so i can use the 4% parry rune on my weapon, due to that 4% being after DR. I've managed to get 565 def, and have my dodge / parry fairly decent. Healers claim i'm easy to heal, but my health pool is lower than nearly 90% of the other Blood DK's I armory.

Advice?
    The World of Warcraft Armory

why 565 def? All you need is 540...

and wrong forum. Please re-read the rules located at the top of every forum or now conveniently in my signature.

Moved to correct forum.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

He's saying 565 w/stoneskin gargoyle so that he can NOT use that and switch to the 4% parry rune instead and still be at 540.

As to the question itself...it's probably BECAUSE of all that defense you've stacked...all your dragon's eyes are defense and not stam as is your chest enchant.

You're basically gearing for avoidance...it's no surprise that your health suffers for it.

Stoneskin also give a stam boost, and in general for DK's: EH > Avoidance will make your healers happy. Yes we are avoidance tanks, but it's better to have a larger healthpool to absorb the RNG hits.

While I understand why it's easy to assume avoidance is best for DK's since it's so easy to get up to ~60% chance to avoid damage, I'll share why effective health is agreed to be more effective as of now.

Usually, healers will claim you are easy to heal because you are. You will dodge a lot with that much avoidance. On difficult, hard-hitting bosses, though, there's always the chance that you will not avoid at all for 3 to 4 hits. Without enough health to take a couple hits, having even 80%+ avoidance is useless, since bad luck will cause wipes. It's better to go for stamina since bad luck can't make that stat useless, but bad luck can make avoidance completely useless.

Replacing all of your +def rating gems with +stam gems and going back to Stoneskin Gargoyle, you will get 171 more stamina and 2% more health. This will give you a lot more health at the cost of ~3-5% avoidance. With that in mind, you'll be able to take those 3 or 4 consecutive hits without dying, and your health pool will be much larger to better utilize the self-healing aspect of Blood.

TY!!

Awesome-sauce.

Cleared uld yesterday, minor problems... my Threat sucks my hit is pretty low. How much stam can i safely drop, to up my hit?

You logged out in dps gear so I can't tell, but for blood tanking you want expertise not hit. Log a run and post the parse so we can see what's going on. Also are you macroing Rune Strike to every ability?

#showtooltip
    /cast Heart Strike
    /cast !Rune Strike

#showtooltip
    /cast Death Strike
    /cast !Rune Strike

#showtooltip
    /cast Icy Touch
    /cast !Rune Strike

etc...

logged out in proper gear.

I have 2 specs now. both Blood tanking please look at each.

1 spec, i have Glyph for Vamp Blood, mark, and wotn.

2nd spec, i took Glyph for 15% dmg to death coil, and 3/3 sudden doom to try and help out threat. The trade off is no Vamp Blood glyph, and no Mark...

should i swap out my 16hit gem for exp?

Yeah I have every ability macro'ed with a rune strike.

Are you using hit rating food?

no, using fish feasts

I guess what is the target Hit i should get first, before going full out stam ? i have 32 exp, and 186ish hit

That was my subtle way of saying use hit food. Its +40 HR, which if you're not capped, it probably better than 80atp.

also the armory ring is wrong, it should be seal of ulduar... bringing my exp to 64...

It's not about "how much stamina can I afford to lose" as much as "I have a set of goals to hit" and anything after that is gravy between stam, avoidance and DPS for threat (and everybody wants to choose stam these days). So keep in mind all the caps (Defense-540, expertise-27, hit-263), subtract what your gear naturally gives you, and then gem accordingly. If your gear gives too much of one stat (in your case, expertise), then consider some other pieces of gear, even lower ones from say nax25, because in the long run it might be better (less wasted itemization).

To the community in general, please help fill out this list

Ulduar gear gives a lot of ???? over Nax
    -Hit rating

Nax gear gives a lot of ???? over Ulduar
    -Expertise
    -ArP

iLVL permitting, there is no bias for
    -Defense
    -Stamina
    -Strength
    -Haste
    -Crit
    -Dodge
    -Parry
    -Block (SBV/SBR)
    -Agility

Incidentally, while DKs are avoidance tanks, Blood DKs get more benefits from stam than other DKs, which is why they stack stam more so than avoidance, and why Blood tanks are becoming more popular (Because EVERYBODY stacks stam, so why not pick the spec that gets the most from stam!). With 2 specs to play with, I would have a blood spec with a stam stacked gearset, and a second gear set (avoidance or threat set) with (frost or unholy) 2nd spec for utility. The blood spec with stam stack would be progression, and the other spec/gearset would be for farming/heroics/etc.
    Last edited by Insahnity; 07-24-2009 at 11:26 AM.

earlier in thread
    but for blood tanking you want expertise not hit

then the previous posts says,
    (Defense-540, expertise-27, hit-263)

Exp cap is 26 from behind the mob, which isnt the case for tanks. What is it for us in front of him?

It is 56 from the front but many tanks settle for the 26 dps softcap. This will still effectively prevent the amount of times you get parried and dodged. In my informal research at expertise 26, I would estimate you still get dodged and parried about 3 to 5% overall. Of course any mood swings by the RNG can still throw that out the window.

Fat fingers at 27 expertise cap, I meant 26. But really, I was talking about soft caps, because going for hard cap on expertise and hit (much more than 263) generally gimps too many other stats.

+ Reply to Thread