+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Warrior & Frost Mage need advice!

Warrior & Frost Mage need advice!

Hello guys

I've been playing with a Frost Mage for about 1 week but he's a little inactive so I got myself a new partner(also a Frost Mage) and we got to 940 rating yesterday planning on getting higher today

Our main problem is that he goes Oom, if it's him versus a Holy Priest or Holy Paladin he usually kites for around for 10min till he dies, so I HAVE to stay alive.

I blow everything to stay alive but I usually die cause of the dots they leave on me after I kill them, we do meet a few Furious teams aswell but that's just the way it is I guess

Also I would like some opinions on our gear/gems/enchants

The World of Warcraft Armory

Here's the guy I'm currently playing with

And here's the guy I used to play with,

We appreciate any (positive) critic and advice!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I can fight only for what I cherish,
    I cherish only what I respect
    and I respect merely that, what I understand.

Warriors have always been the most healer dependent class in the game. You won't find too many double DPS warrior teams. Eventually you'll hit a limit where you can't go any higher with that comp and all I can say is you should try to find a healer.

Gear wise:

Enchant all of your gear.
    Try to get PvP pieces in every slot possible.
    You're way above hit cap, you don't need the "Victory" items.
    Consider replacing Mirror of Truth with Anvil of Titans.
    Why do you have all of those crit gems?
    Last edited by Bloodwraith; 07-17-2009 at 05:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodwraith View Post
    Warriors have always been the most healer dependent class in the game. You won't find too many double DPS warrior teams. Eventually you'll hit a limit where you can't go any higher with that comp and all I can say is you should try to find a healer.

Gear wise:

Enchant all of your gear.
    Try to get PvP pieces in every slot possible.
    You're way above hit cap, you don't need the "Victory" items.
    Consider replacing Mirror of Truth with Anvil of Titans.
    Why do you have all of those crit gems?
    I think we could take this comp up to 1500, that's where we're stopping anyways

What is the hit cap for Arms by the way?

But will I crit as much? If I replace all the crit gems and mirror of truth i'll end up with like 24% crit, should also have mentioned that I've gemmed for a little PvE, hence the crit gems

I've gotten a new axe today aswell, Death's Bite so I got more dps

Also, when I did it with the other mage, LÚvi it seemed like we won abit more, but that might just be me, any suggestions on why my new partner goes oom so fast?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I can fight only for what I cherish,
    I cherish only what I respect
    and I respect merely that, what I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalorian View Post
    I think we could take this comp up to 1500, that's where we're stopping anyways

What is the hit cap for Arms by the way?

But will I crit as much? If I replace all the crit gems and mirror of truth i'll end up with like 24% crit, should also have mentioned that I've gemmed for a little PvE, hence the crit gems

I've gotten a new axe today aswell, Death's Bite so I got more dps

Also, when I did it with the other mage, LÚvi it seemed like we won abit more, but that might just be me, any suggestions on why my new partner goes oom so fast?
    5% is hit cap

It's just that crit suffers diminishing returns due to people with high resilience. If I were you I;d take a look at how some of the top ranked warrios are gearing to get a good idea.

Player Rankings - Arena Junkies

Your partner is not that into PvP it seems. His spec is super weird and not something I would recommend.

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft
    He should try something like that, especially the glyphs are not good, he has PvE glyphs and the Mana Gem glyph should help with his OOM-going.

Your partner should go for haste, somewhere 350-450 is good. Also 120 Spellpenetration is preferable because of Frost Auras and Mark of the Wilds and whatnot. He doesn't haven't a insignia, or maybe just not equipped.

If you fight non melees make sure he puts on Mage Armor.

If available he can put on 2 pieces of T7 for the bonus Improved Mana Gems - Spell - World of Warcraft Even more mana from his gems. Most people go for shoulders + pants.

Yeah that's what I can come up.

Edge's comments are mostly accurate. Your partner needs to drop Imp. Water Elemental at the bare minimum, that's a PvE talent.

I noticed your partner puts 5/5 into Arctic Winds instead of 2/2 Fingers of Frost and 3/3 Brain Freeze. Mages at the highest echelons of arena take Fingers of Frost and Brain Freeze because it enhances their target-swapping ability and gives them an instant-cast proc. That doesn't mean Arctic Winds is a bad talent choice, 5% miss on ranged attacks boosts your survivability significantly. When I'm frost, I roll with Arctic Winds AND Fingers of Frost by dropping two points from Permafrost (this won't be advisable when 3.2 drops and mages get Mortal Frostbolt). Either choice is valid.

I'm assuming those are PvE glyphs. For PvP, Glyph of Evocate is a must-have. It allows him to basically reset the fight. The other two glyphs are fairly debatable--Ice Barrier, Frost Nova, Icy Veins, Ice Block, Deep Freeze and several others are all viable choices.

I disagree with Edge in that Mana Gems should be considered a solution to his mana problems. Frankly, Mana Gems provide a few seconds' worth of mana on a two-minute cooldown. It's better than nothing, but the costs of losing one of the other major glyphs I listed or of dropping PvP gear for PvE gear of the same ilvl significantly outweighs the benefits of glyphing for it or equipping PvE gear for the set bonus.

If mana's the problem, he'd be better off dropping three talent points somewhere and putting them into Frost Channeling. It's not ideal by any means, but he'd be giving up less than if he swapped out gear and lost the PvP 4-piece bonus.

As a secondary stat, your partner should be gearing for haste rather than crit, because crit is countered by resilience while haste allows your partner to squeeze more Frostbolts / Ice Lances into a shatter combo. Specifically, he should be using the "of Subjugation" neck and cloak rather than the "of Dominance" ones he's using now. (That's assuming he's hit-capped, and right now he's not. He's at 2.82% hit, and he needs 5%.) Once 3.2 drops, several "of Alacrity" pieces will be available that provide haste.

Spell penetration is also something he should aim for; if he's not having significant survivability issues, gemming Spellpower/SpellPen instead of Spellpower/Stamina would make him more effective against many targets. Most high-rated mages aim for something above 100 SpellPen (I'm not sure the exact number).

To add another small point of view, I was actually researching a couple of the top frost mages on arenajunkies yesterday. The one I decided to mirror myself after was the second top rated mage and first frost mage. The glyphs he ran with were Mana Gem, Ice Barrier and Poly and he picked up imp frost elemental. That said, it's possible that people swap glyphs depending on their comp or bracket, as he seems to run 2's with a healer.

Not certain what the policy is for linking off-site, so apologies if this is frowned upon, but here's the profile on AJ of the mage.

Khandz US-Mannoroth - Profile - Arena Junkies
    Quality Over Quanity.

Basically, this comp is going to be extremely hard to set up kills due to the warriors lack of cc and inability to instantly "blow" teams up due to rage mechanics.
    You pretty much have to get the mage to force a trinket or cooldown with polys and/or deep freezes. Pretty much throw as much pressure on the target that isn't getting cc'd, make sure the mage counterspells a cast to set up the kill followed by a poly if not on dr or a quick charge/intercept int shout.

+ Reply to Thread