+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Today's VoA25 Attempt! *sad face*

Today's VoA25 Attempt! *sad face*

So today i tried to do my weekly VoA runs. i decided to start off with 25man since the group needed a tank to go. i went in pretty confident since last Friday in naxx25 i scored my self a hand full of upgrades. Putting me at Hit and Exp Caps. 540 defense all the good stuff. SO they tell me to go start clearing trash we clear the first 3 mobs. then i proceeded to tank the mob that charges up if u dont kill it fast enough. i get droped...so ok w/e i died but OT was quick to pick up. i figured not all the dps was set to go. They rebuff me, i charge at the 2nd mob right infront of Emalon i see my health spike a bit then BOOM i drop...so w/e they rez me rebuff me once more. I was on Emalon, we start the ot was taking a bit to pick up the adds at first but then managed them. Then like 5seconds after the first nova i get droped. RL starts complaining why they didnt keep me up but the healers got defensive and blamed me, that i was a garbage tank. I dont know if it like that when you guys pug but one wipe and people start to leave. So people start to leave, while some asking me if i was def caped and what not. i DONT get what happened, like i said before i was in crappier gear last week.

Sorry for the wall of text. Bottom line do you guys think its my fault i died or the healers? Here's my Armory. The World of Warcraft Armory

TBH healers tend to be a bit crap on the pull in VOA, especially in a pug. Blow a CD when you pull to allow the healers to get into their groove.

As a holy pally i found if a ran in straight away and started throwing out heals i'd always get aggro. So now i run in straight away, start throwing out the heals but BoSanc the tank and bubble.

Bascially unless you did something real dumb it was the healers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Winkle View Post
    TBH healers tend to be a bit crap on the pull in VOA, especially in a pug. Blow a CD when you pull to allow the healers to get into their groove.

As a holy pally i found if a ran in straight away and started throwing out heals i'd always get aggro. So now i run in straight away, start throwing out the heals but BoSanc the tank and bubble.

Bascially unless you did something real dumb it was the healers.
    i didnt do anything but stay in place in tank. i was getting bashed on for getting droped so fast and being a "bad" tank.

In this case it wasn't the pull, it was the healers not healing him properly on the trash and him dying shortly after the nova from Emalon. And I'd agree, unless you accidentally hit your sit down key immediately after the nova, it sounds like the healers weren't prepared. From what I see on the armory, your gear is solid and you're more than capable of tanking the trash and Emalon. It sounds like the healers weren't syncing on healing duties as to who did what (like the healers that were supposed to heal you healed themselves instead of letting the raid healers do it), or they just didn't know how to handle it.

all i can say is u have a higher hp pool unbuffed than i do and ur slightly better geared than i am but i havent had any issues tanking emalon or the adds in voa 25 although there were some scary moments....

As a healer, I mostly have problems on the pull when I don't run down fast enough and my first holy light isn't hasted yet (without judgement/light's grace), so that can be an issue if you drop early. Especially with warriors who can suddenly charge out of my range. It's strange that you're dropping on trash though because even when I'm slow to catch up, it only becomes a tankdeath if it's the initial pull with Emalon + adds. If you're dropping after lightning nova, you might consider running out of it - you don't have to run as far as the dps but just moving a bit out of its range and then charging back will allow you to avoid a lot of the damage.

You should be more than ready for emalon in your current gear. If you are dying after a nova, my guess is that the healers failed to top you off quick enough or did not have you topped before the nova. It's a fairly large hit, and his melee is pretty decent too. Don't blame yourself for this one. It was most likely the healer's fault(s).

Make sure that the person coordinating the heals on you is intelligent. Bring the player not the class nonwithstanding, I find that *most* restotrees cant take the spikey damage that comes when an add gets pumped up.

I find that a holy pally/disc priest works much much better for the add tank.....and in general any tank.

As a side note: 5 heals ftw. I dont care if that means that there is a healing class overlap for armor drops. Two heals per tank and one for the raid prevents stupid dps from dying in the nova (if you are a dps and you eat, it you fail) and allows for infallible tank heals. If your raid's dps is so low that they cant take the hit of having 1 less pew pew. kick the bottom 5 and replace them =)

happy tanking.
    I was the lonely voice on my server who simply wanted to know: When Michael Jackson died....did he drop any good loot?

One thing I've found that makes weaker heals easier for this fight (or more HoT's and less spikes) is that when he starts casting nova back a bit more into the alcove (I tend to tank him slightly outside the alcove so melee has less far to run). The nova diminishes with distance and you'll take less spike damage and you've got a larger time gap before he can hit you again. If you time it right, he basically doesn't move before you run back in and start bashing. You have to be a bit careful as you can also get the boss turned around if your not careful and melee would have to run through him or deal with the parry's. Its not as optimal for quick kills, but it does help if you're a bit weak on heals.

I also blow a cool down on the inital pull if I'm an add tank, but not usually if I'm the emalon tank.
    Last edited by headknocker; 07-16-2009 at 08:25 AM.
    If you aren't higher than me in total damage done or total healing done, all comments will be /ignore'd

Don't get discouraged. That is part of tanking. I got pretty pissed at a bunch of DPS that was making H AN alot harder then it should've been, and they blamed me and said I was a fail tank. It just comes with the job.

Emalon can be a pain though, especially if everybody is not on their game. I pop a CD or two as I pull to let the healers get their head in the game.

+ Reply to Thread