+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gen. Vez 25 Threat/Avoidance Problems

Gen. Vez 25 Threat/Avoidance Problems

I am trying to figure out how other warrior tanks are doing on Vezax 25. I know i am running into dodge/parry streaks leaving me rageless for a good portion of the fight. My armory doesn't reflect the gear i was using, but i was at about 7.5% hit, 27 expertise (Switched in my Dragonbrood Leggings, and Last Laugh). I had a mage pull off of me because he was running about 10k tps. I know the threat cycle (priority system) that warriors should be using (or maybe this is where my problem lays) Shield Slam > Revenge > Shockwave > Conc Blow > Devestate and of course heroic striking when above 30 rage. I do also combine Blood Fury + Shield Block + Shield Slam for that extra threat output.

The problem i am running into is threat. With having these dodge/parry streaks keeping me rage starved, and having a reduced melee speed, they all combine to make it so i have a reduced amount of heroic strikes and threat, i can't seem to keep up with any of our other tanks on this fight. I'm guessing the option is to "wear less avoidance" (which by the way i think a tank should NEVER have to do, <3 being the only class with negative scaling /sarcasm). Are any other warrior tanks out there having similar problems with threat and rage on Vezax? Or is there a bigger problem involving my threat cycle?

Thanks for the help in advance.
    Last edited by Howarddean; 07-14-2009 at 10:30 AM.

I have similar issues however I have not really had many times where DPS has actually pulled off of me. It is DEFINITELY an annoying fight for prot warriors with our current mechanics of reduced threat with better gear

Here are some things you could try:

-Prioritize your Vigilance target carefully on a Lock or non-arcane mage for TPS boost.

- One thing I did was to modify my spec a little bit to allow myself better rage flow by going 5/10/56 instead of my previous 5/15/51 which looks to be your survival spec as well. I found that using the 5 points from commanding presence in improved revenge and focused rage was more beneficial since you may have other warriors that can do Commanding or do it yourself with just a bit less bonus.

- You may also consider replacing your taunt glyph with blocking or revenge to either increase your DPS output or improve your rage situation with free heroic strikes.

I wish they would hotfix rage on avoidance and save warrior tanks from the broken mechanic of being rage starved and doing less threat when wearing better gear. 3.2 is likely still a long way off.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelnut View Post
    - You may also consider replacing your taunt glyph with blocking or revenge to either increase your DPS output or improve your rage situation with free heroic strikes.
    The taunt glyph was in there for IC Hard mode, i just havnt had time to replace it yet haha. I did run my threat spec for Vezax though which has imp vigil and blocking glyph

Casters get a massive dps boost, just tell them to threat drop... it's not like it's a big race like HM Hodir.

As a bear this is one of two fights in Ulduar that give me threat problems, the other being Hodir hard mode. I always get rage starved at intervals on this fight. We've recently started getting pallies to salv our 2 mages when they're about 110% because their threat on this fight can rocket once they are standing in the shadow crash.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.ordnance-guild.org - Ordnance is back!

Definitely, hand of salv is your best friend here. Prioritise your vigilance on a high threat caster (like a fire mage or warlock) and make sure your rogues and hunters are tricksing/MDing you at every opportunity. Additionally if you have a prot warrior OT have them using intervene on the casters (provided they aren't assigned to interrupts). Remember to use HS wisely on this fight as it will chew through rage very quickly.

If you have the gear for it I think UA may be a viable build for this especially for hardmode so that rage isn't as much of an issue and your ranged don't get threat capped as easily; I am going to try it this week. It is concerning being hit in 25m with reduced eh and no imp demo shout, maybe I can recruit a fury warrior to do it. Hopefully 32.5k+ hp unbuffed will be sufficient (I am currently 33.7k being a JC but intend to switch the JC gems from stam to expertise because I don't have my t8.5 shoulders yet and am hurting on expertise and don't want to be parry gibbed).
    Last edited by Squirrelnut; 07-16-2009 at 07:40 AM.

We kite Vezax during the surge phases. As I get into position, I always look to see who is highest on threat and switch my vig to them. I have the same issues w/ threat being closely watched, but I rarely have any issue w/ rage on this fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelnut View Post
    If you have the gear for it I think UA may be a viable build for this especially for hardmode so that rage isn't as much of an issue and your ranged don't get threat capped as easily; I am going to try it this week. It is concerning being hit in 25m with reduced eh and no imp demo shout, maybe I can recruit a fury warrior to do it. Hopefully 32.5k+ hp unbuffed will be sufficient (I am currently 33.7k being a JC but intend to switch the JC gems from stam to expertise because I don't have my t8.5 shoulders yet and am hurting on expertise and don't want to be parry gibbed).
    If i remember right, isn't Vez one of the many bosses in Ulduar who can not be parry hasted? I know Auriya can, but i forgot who the other one is.

Quote Originally Posted by Howarddean View Post
    If i remember right, isn't Vez one of the many bosses in Ulduar who can not be parry hasted? I know Auriya can, but i forgot who the other one is.
    Some people have thought that however it seems to be the general consensus of the community that he CAN in fact parry haste kill you (unless a nerf has gone through that I am unaware of). I believe I am actually a witness to this fact as he killed me with it last week.

+ Reply to Thread