Closed Thread

Thread: Thunder Clap and Taunt missing at 8% hit

Thunder Clap and Taunt missing at 8% hit

I've looked in several places here and on elitistjerks and everything seems to point to saying that 8% hit is the hit cap for warrior abilities.

However, I've done several tests with my warrior at 8.08% hit (265 hit rating) and I've seen misses for Thunderclap and Taunt.

I'm going to try to do more testing (next at 9% and continue up from there) but was wondering has anyone else seen this happen? Why would Thunder Clap and Taunt require a different hit rating?

I know taunt is a spell (yes even for warriors) and I would assume thunderclap is as well, so those would be most likely subject to the spell miss rate (though melee rate does affect taunts as well), which would be 17ish%

Quote Originally Posted by Darmaul View Post
    I've looked in several places here and on elitistjerks and everything seems to point to saying that 8% hit is the hit cap for warrior abilities.

However, I've done several tests with my warrior at 8.08% hit (265 hit rating) and I've seen misses for Thunderclap and Taunt.

I'm going to try to do more testing (next at 9% and continue up from there) but was wondering has anyone else seen this happen? Why would Thunder Clap and Taunt require a different hit rating?
    Well, even at cap your still going to see misses. There is still a 1% chance to miss that you can never get rid off(unless i'm totally off the ball here). So really depends on how much you are actually missing.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalize View Post
    Well, even at cap your still going to see misses. There is still a 1% chance to miss that you can never get rid off(unless i'm totally off the ball here). So really depends on how much you are actually missing.
    You're totally off the ball

There used to be a guaranteed 1% miss for spells (so you only went to 16% instead of 17%), but melee was completely cap-able. They took out the one for spells in WotLK so now that 1% is no longer there.

Spell Hit Rating works different than Melee Hit Rating.

It takes 32.79 Melee Hit Rating to create 1% Melee Hit chance.
    It takes 26.23 Spell Hit Rating to create 1% Spell Hit chance.

You'll need a total of 446 Spell Hit Rating (17%) to not miss with Shockwave, Thunder Clap and Taunt. You can knock that down 3% to 367 Hit Rating if you've got a Shadow Priest.

So, while it'll take only 262 Hit Rating to get your 8% Melee Hit cap, you'll need an additional 105 Hit Rating to reach the Spell Hit cap of 17% with a Shadow Priest in the raid. (184 additional Hit Rating if you don't have a Spriest)

Quote Originally Posted by jere View Post
    You're totally off the ball

There used to be a guaranteed 1% miss for spells (so you only went to 16% instead of 17%), but melee was completely cap-able. They took out the one for spells in WotLK so now that 1% is no longer there.
    It actually went the other way -- miss cap used to be 18% for spells. You've always wanted 17% spell hit.
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

Is this a known bug or by design?

It seems counter intuitive that Thunder Clap would cause physical damage, scale based on melee attack power but not be based on melee hit rating.

Thanks for the quick response.

Quote Originally Posted by Darmaul View Post
    Is this a known bug or by design?

It seems counter intuitive that Thunder Clap would cause physical damage, scale based on melee attack power but not be based on melee hit rating.

Thanks for the quick response.
    It's confusing, many agree, but I wouldn't expect it to change any time soon. Works as intended.

So, just to double check here. That means that my 265 hit rating which gives me 8.08% melee hit is ALSO giving me 10.10% spell hit?

So I've actually only got a 6.9% chance of missing on taunt and thunderclap?

So if I did actually decide to use Glyph of Taunt - additional 8% chance to hit with taunt (probably wouldn't, but if I did...) then I would indeed by hit capped for Taunt?

Or would it take my 8% melee chance and 8% from glyph to be 16% and still have 1% chance to miss?

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    It actually went the other way -- miss cap used to be 18% for spells. You've always wanted 17% spell hit.
    Back to marmot school with thee!!

OLD STUFFS:
    Shadow Focus (5 ranks) = Shadow focus is a talent that works exactly like spell hit. Every 12.6 spell hit is equivalent of 1% spell hit. Each point of shadow focus is worth 2% spell hit, or 25.2 spell hit rating. This should initially be maxed out for raiding shadow priests, though shadow priests at the Black Temple/Mount Hyjal level often drop a point of two from the excess of spell hit that is unavoidable. Against a boss, there is a 17% miss rate and 16% of that miss rate can be negated. Shadow focus removes 10% of this, leaving 6%, or 75-76 spell hit rating needed.
    TBC Shadow Priest 101: How to Melt Faces Effectively - Elitist Jerks
    PVE Raiding Compendium - Elitist Jerks

Odd, I thought the common theory behind the move from 9%->8% melee hit cap was that the base chance was reduced for both when they removed the 1% minimum from spell hit.
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

Did anyone actually test to see if the spell hit cap was actually 17% now? What if it turned out to be 16% (not saying it is, but perhaps that fits better with what you mentioned).

warlocks in my guild reported misses on target dummies at 16.5% hit

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalize View Post

Your not totaly of base the 1 % miss is still there BLizz even said they didnt remove it . Its like crushing blow there still there .

Ive seen Hit caped mages miss because of the 1 % .
    Last edited by toptek; 07-28-2009 at 06:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by toptek View Post
    Your not totaly of base the 1 % miss is still there BLizz even said they didnt remove it . Its like crushing blow there still there .

Sounds like your mages need to spot when a shadowpriest/boomkin/draenai isn't in the raid.

Quote Originally Posted by toptek View Post

Just no. The hitcap is now 100% And Blizzard has confirmed this aswell.

If mages are missing, they're either standing in the dust cloud on Archavon, or they're not really hitcapped. What you *moght* see sometimes, is a caster missing his first spell. The reason for this is usually that the Shadowpriest doesn't have Misery on the boss yet, and as a result casters who havent geared for 17% hit may miss until misery is up.

Why did this thread get necro'd? Closed.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Closed Thread