+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Unbreakable Armor's merits

Unbreakable Armor's merits

I'm mainly wondering about how Unbreakable Armor stacks up to bosses as I've heard varying reports. Ensidia's guide states "It works like a mini Shield Wall. It reduces all damage taken by a large amount, don't get fooled by the tooltip which might indicate this as a bad timer." Which throws me off considerably and makes me consider this as a legitimate "Oh shit" cd should Fenira's comment be true.

I've been wondering about this little cooldown for a while. As a dps cd it's obviously quite useful and don't doubt it has a spot for a dps Frost DK's damage. From what I've read and seen it's decent for a lot of light-medium hitting mobs as it's pretty much a flat damage reduction it seems. That's nice and all, though really, I don't care about small fries. The scariest hits come from bosses that don't grind a few thousand hp's every hit but rip a big chunk of our life out at a time.

The question I have is whether it's decent for Tanking bosses, which by the guide's own claims is very solid. Does it actually mitigate more than 1500-2500 damage against bigger hits or is it an underwhelming Boss survival cd like Unbreakable Armor's own tool tip makes it out to be?

IMO, its pretty much worthless from a mitigation PoV when your fighting heavy hitting bosses which is pretty much just about every one in Ulduar.

I dont know what Fenira was smoking when he/she(?) wrote that but i'd like to have some

Word of caution, don't take for granted something someone just wrote just because they're on a high end guild. Do your research, test and draw your own conclusions.

It does what the tooltip says it does. It mitigates a certain amount off of each hit for 20 seconds, and improves your Parry rating (by increasing your strength by 25%).

Is it going to save your life against a boss? No.
    Can you chain it with IBF if your healers are down and the boss is at 2%? Yes.

It's overpowered against small adds (Offtanking the rubble on Kologarn, for instance) and underpowered against heavy hitters. Think of it as Tanking's AoE spell, better against many than one. :P

Yeah...Fenira's guide also mentioned Blood as having the worst cooldown (30 second Vampiric Blood trumps the other two by a LARGE amount in reality). Not sure he knows much about the class, even if he is in one of the world's best guilds.

Unbreakable Armor tends to mimic the function of Block, which isn't good for stopping/mitigating large hits. Personally, I think the entire talent needs a retool, because with the recent and upcoming armor nerfs to Death Knights, it has gone from the weakest cooldown to dragging Frost down to a spec that can be detrimental to tank with. Every other tank has atleast 2 cooldowns that can, on their own, handle a large spike of damage, or a period of burst. Except Frost.

As said UBA is lacklustre against bosses. Personally I tank trash as Frost where UBA is great, and bosses as Blood.

+ Reply to Thread