+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Getting owned in heroics

Getting owned in heroics

When I tried to tank H Uk, I was getting owned by trash mobs. I'm uncrittable, and I'm 28k hp with frost presence so I have no idea why I was getting pwned by trash mobs.

Here's my armory (I have the valor medal, its just not updating right now)
    The World of Warcraft Armory

I don't know much about DK tanks, but what exactly is the problem? Is it too many mobs upon you? Do you get hit too often?

I would try the +22 defense rating on chest (replace that 8 to all stats IMO!!!!!) and stack a 24 stam gem instead of the 16 defense rating.
    I'm one of those ladies that love to take a beating from time to time. That's why I rolled prot.

I think your problem lies in your lack of avoidance, I'm not an expert in DKs but you're way over the def cap, and the majority of your gear is threat related. Imo I don't think DKs need soo much threat stuff so you're best looking for other stats.

Your back hmm ,sry but shield block !?

Can you describe more of the issue? Although not a DK tank expert, as others have said, maybe its more mechanics and situational then gear. Is your healer paying attention to the situation? Is your dps doing their part to burn down the mobs effectively? Are you marking so everyone knows what to focus on first, second, third, etc...

As the leader of the encounter, are you waiting for everyone to be at full mana before you engage, when necessary?

Sometimes it just takes practice. I wiped my group twice in the first hallway as a new tank in heroics, before learning how to effectively hold aggro, and pull the correct amount of mobs without overwhelming the group.

If you can be more specific, that would be helpful.

Meldwyn
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Alright, here's what happened. We JUST got into the instance, so everyone was full mana and I asked if everyone was ready and if I should start. Everyone told me to start, so I pulled the first two. After about 15 seconds, I was dead. That's all I remembered it was too fast to see what I was hit by

That is really strange. The first two mobs shouldn't be anywhere close to owning you, even without hitting any cooldowns whatsoever. The packs of mobs *after* the first two can stun, which can lead to very spiky tank damage, but I've never had trouble healing the first two mobs at the entrance.

Next time, try keeping recount for your fights and at your death, check out the "Deaths" tab. That'll give you info on exactly what led to your deaths.

Your issue is avoidance. You need to go to Normal HoL and get Seal of the Pantheon so you can get rid of your Def gems.

As said above, Cloak of the Iron Council is a nice cloak...but not for DKs. Get a Belt Buckle for your Belt, too.

If your Frost spec is your tanking spec, then you're missing two Glyphs...

Fix all this stuff before heading into Heroics.
    It's always easier to just be nice.

I was going to respond to the original post, but it looks like he gave up on tanking (I'm seeing dual DPS builds and PvP gear).

Pity. I was about to ask for more information about the group makeup. In specific: What kind of healer did you have?

DKs work best with specific kinds of healing, and if you're just starting out as a tank and are maybe a bit short on gear you might need a tank healer such as a Discipline priest or a Holy paladin unless you can find a holy priest or resto druid/shammy with good gear.

Also, I found when I started tanking heroics with my DK that I needed to watch the AoE and request crowd control until my dodge + parry hit about 40%. Somewhere between 30 and 40 avoidance I went from needing CC to only having it slow us down.

Lol that was just once to see if I could tank, thats why I had gear on. I think the problem was i never had a tanking spec xD

You bought Cloak of the Iron Council just to see if you could tank?

It was going for 200g so i got it xD

Ha, nice. I got mine as a drop but I know for a fact it goes for 1200g + on my server. Guess ya got lucky

Quote Originally Posted by Pkhearts View Post
    I would try the +22 defense rating on chest (replace that 8 to all stats IMO!!!!!) and stack a 24 stam gem instead of the 16 defense rating.
    By the way, the +8/+10 to stat enchant is the best enchant to get on your Chest if you are defense capped, for anyone that might read this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nazhir View Post
    By the way, the +8/+10 to stat enchant is the best enchant to get on your Chest if you are defense capped, for anyone that might read this.
    First of all, it's not a cap.

Secondly, putting a defense enchant on your chest will allow you to focus on other stats in other places - like gemming for stamina.

I'm seeing you in your dps gear right now but let's assume you are correct about having 535 def and 28k hp. If you are killed after 15 secs by the first two mobw in UK the only thing that could have happened is that you received no heals at all. Did you check that you had a healer in the group ;-)

Tbh I cant see how this could be a gear issue, no matter how low your avoidance is.

+ Reply to Thread