+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Threat Problems as a warrior

Threat Problems as a warrior

I've been tanking since I first created this character and have done a number of normal 5-mans in vanilla WoW. I skipped most of the BC ones because I was leveling too fast and I didn't need the gear. Once I hit WotLK, I began tanking again because I knew I'd be doing them on heroic difficulty later on.

I tanked fine through the normal five mans and upon hitting 80 and the 540 defense cap I started hitting heroics hardcore. The first couple runs went well, including one where I wasn't defense capped. By using a combo of cleave and thunderclap I was able to keep aggro through most trash pulls of 3 or 4 mobs and the bosses were never a problem except for the beginning.

Recently however I've been getting into groups with dps that have raid gear and I have had some serious problems keeping aggro on trash pulls of 3 or more. They just simply do too much dps for me to keep up with. On the bosses I had no problems keeping aggro, except when the warrior did whirlwind on one of the bosses, took me a bit to get the adds back on me.

Is there some technique I don't know of for aoe tanking as a warrior? I know we aren't that great at aoe tanking but I don't even have enough time for target switching and hitting each mob consecutively with a high threat ability and then cycling through them till each is dead. Any suggestions?

I was about to post my armory link but it still thinks I'm level 71. Will have to wait for an update, but I'm currently at 547 defense with almost 23k health unbuffed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Warriors probably have the most difficulty with threat these days, especially AoE.

I'm assuming you're using Shockwave in conjunction with your TC and Cleave. Use this ability whenever its up - not only will it give you threat, but the stun will allow you 4 seconds where the adds won't move if somebody pulls aggro on them, allowing you to regain threat before the situation gets worse.

Remember that Cleave (presuming you use Glyph of Cleave) will only hit three targets. You will need to switch targets accordingly to spread your Cleave across the group, should you have more than 3 mobs.

Being Hit/Expertise capped is always nice, too. Admittedly being Hit capped can be difficult in lower level gear, due to lack of sockets and raw hit on items. However, it shouldn't be hard to get Expertise capped.

Remember to make proper use of vigilance. See which person in the group has the most threat and vigilance them accordingly.

Also, don't use Demo shout as a means of threat. Demo Shout generates an extremely low ammount of threat. You should have it active for its debuff, but don't think that using it will give you a nice AoE boost.

I'm not sure of your professions but, Engineers can use Saronite Bombs to their advantage. This gives Warriors a "ranged AoE" that can be used on fleeing or out of range mobs.

Also, could you possibly link your talent build? Might be some adjustments you could make there too.

Hope some of this helps
    It's always easier to just be nice.

My armory link still hasn't been updated but I'm pretty sure this is my build right now.

The World of Warcraft Armory

I'm using glyph of heroic strike, blocking, cleave, battle, bloodrage, and charge I think is the last one.

I'm not entirely sure if I respecced so that I only had 2 points in shield spec and put those three into incite or not. I want to say no, but I have noticed that once I edited my rotation a bit and started using the cleave glyph, it got a lot easier. I've been having much more success lately in tanking multiple mobs.

However, now I have a new problem, I'm OTing currently for my guild's OS runs and will start OTing for Naxx and VoA as well. But in my first taste of OS on sunday, the trash mobs were so big I couldn't adequately tank my two mobs on the groups of four. Our pally MT ended up tanking 3 at once until one of them dropped and I could adequately see and switch targets appropriately. Any specific tactics you'd suggest for this? I have my camera zoomed out all the way, but these mobs are so large that it has no real effect >.<

I would suggest picking up AttT and Incite over having 5 points in crit and shield spec, both will see higher threat values. A popular threat build is this one: The World of Warcraft Armory

If you're tanking heroics mainly I think the Shockwave glyph will benefit you more than Heroic Strike.

With tanking in raids, I find that turning nameplates on (default keybind V) does the trick. If you're having trouble identifying your mobs, pull them out of the 'pack' slightly so that AoE still hits them, but you can see them more visibly and distinctly from the other mobs.

My personal preference is to eat dinner during the Sarth trash and let the prot pally tank the lot.
    Toblerone - Space Goat Warrior
    Chupachup - Space Goat Shaman

Well, we're running it again tonight so I'll talk to him a bit and see how much damage he was actually taking. On the pulls of two mobs we split them and it only hits me for like 3k so it doesn't seem too bad. I can't imagine tanking the group of four would be much different damage wise.

We're progressing into naxx this week but I'll take try out your suggestions in some heroics to avoid unnecessary raid wipes. I'll let you know how it goes.

I have been having exactly the problem you have stated here. I could tank an heroic or raid boss fine even when my gear rating was around 2050 & the DPS I was tanking for were over 2300 (Wowheroes ratings) but on trash I would loose threat very easily. I recieved some sugestions from other members here & changed my Prot. spec. (a little) to what it currently is & have seen a great improvement in my threat generation & as well as my AoE threat on trash.
    The World of Warcraft Armory
    Please note the 1 point in imp. bloodrage is a personal choice.
    P.S. I don't usually log out in my tank set-Agressive is def capped etc in tank set.

We ran OS 10 again last night and it went off with only a few problems, none of which had to do with my threat.

We lost the MT on the first dragon cause the healer wasn't paying attention. When we all came out of the portal I picked up aggro, no problem.

I zoomed my camera out all the way and was able to tank my half of the four mob groups without too much trouble. Unfortunately I also accidentally used mocking blow on sartharion, but thankfully, no one died because of it. So all in all with imp. cleave and editing my tactics I think I got it down.

+ Reply to Thread