+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Avoidance hindering Threat

Avoidance hindering Threat

Lately with several upgrades i have seen my threat take a dive straight into the ground. Running 25s with nearly 31% dodge and 19-20% parry is starving me for rage. At one point i dodged/parried 7 straight attacks and was left barely having enough rage to devastate and shield slam on cooldown for 25-30s.
    I used the "threat calculator" on my wws from 3 weeks ago to this week and the difference is extreme to say the least. Going from 5.5/6k to just over 3.5 for Ignis is very unsettling.
    Is anyone else seeing the same thing? Should i "Dumb Down" my gear to help support more rage generation?

The World of Warcraft Armory

(I may be naked on armory lol. I logged in to falling through dalaran so i stripped. So ill just list some general stuff from memory
    Conq helm
    Conquest Emb. Neck
    7.5 Shoulders
    8.5 Chest
    EoV Back
    Flamewatch Armgaurds
    8.5 Gloves
    IPGirdle
    Saronite Plated Legs
    Charred Saronite boots
    EoV Ring
    Lev Coil
    Furnace Stone
    Heart of Iron
    Titan Gaurd (Blood Drain)
    Wall of Terror

~26k Armor
    ~33.8k HP
    ~28% dodge
    ~18% parry
    ~18% Block (1000 BV)
    ~200 Hit
    20-25 Expertise

Yeah, I would swap out some of that plate for cloth pieces.

Seriously, your stats look fine, IMO. Similar to mine, and I rarely have threat issues.

Never "dumb down" your gear for any reason, if by that you mean using lower level gear for more damage taken and thus more rage. If you need more threat, you can: 1) spec for higher threat (e.g. 15/5/51); 2) Glyph for higher threat (Vigilance, Blocking...; 3) Gear/gem/chant for more Hit (until 8%), Expertise, and/or Block Value at the expense of avoidance.

Also, Heroic Strike is not something you spam all the time no matter what. If you are having rage issues, ease off on it. Hit it less often. When your rage jumps back up to 70+, start spamming it again.

If that doesn't work, ask your hunters/rogues to send you some misdirects/tricks in the fights you are having trouble.

I would work on expertise personally and/or change specs back into old faithful 15/5/51. That is where I would start if this were my toon.

Though fyi, your current armoury is showing 12 exp, not the amount you have listed in your post.

I am starting to see similar issues as well in certain situations. I would not say to "dumb down" your gear, but it definitely makes sense to have some gear that you can swap in or out depending on whether you need the EH or more threat. As much as I dislike vigiliance, when used wisely with a glyph, it helps a decent amount. Getting to the expertise/hit caps will help as well. Another good option is swapping in DPS trinkets if you don't need the tanking ones.

Having your threat go down while the DPS just keeps going higher is definitely frustrating though.

Check out the WWS report, have a look at how often your abilities are misses, dodged or parried. Rather than dumb down the gear, work on boosting your threat stats by swapping in gear for the fights that require it. Looking at your armory, I'd say your expertise is the stat to work on. Getting more avoidance doesn't usually equate to lower threat, it's generally when you're replacing things like expertise and hit with avoidance that you start seeing dips in threat.

Two things I still use is the trinket and legs from Malygos on fights that require higher threat, they both have a huge amount of expertise on them and help a lot without dumbing things down.

Try redoing your spec to 15/5/51 or 15/3/53 (putting 2 more points into Deep Wounds). Use Glyph or Devastate, Shockwave or Vigilance in place of Revenge (and shield wall if you can do without it) for more threat. Make sure you are prioritising your moves and not spamming heroic strike blindly in rage starved situations as well.
    Toblerone - Space Goat Warrior

I've noticed the same thing, it's just the outcome of situation where almost every single Ulduar boss has very slow attack speed but hit hard enough to fill your ragebar in one blow. It's extremely frustrating at the start because it can lead into situation where you start the fight and avoid first few incoming hits, Bloodrage you've already used up on opener and now you're praying for that one hit to get you going before DPS peels it off.
    Crommi | Archaic Order | Lightning's Blade EU

Quote Originally Posted by Crommi View Post
    I've noticed the same thing, it's just the outcome of situation where almost every single Ulduar boss has very slow attack speed but hit hard enough to fill your ragebar in one blow. It's extremely frustrating at the start because it can lead into situation where you start the fight and avoid first few incoming hits, Bloodrage you've already used up on opener and now you're praying for that one hit to get you going before DPS peels it off.

This is exactly what i am refering to as far as the current issue of Avoidance Vs. Rage.

As for my armory and being low on expertise what i am wearing is most likely an Avoidance/EH set. I have a threat set that puts me at 277 Hit (overcapped i know...its all gear not gems) and 31 Expertise (including food buff) that generally has the same avoidance and health

+ Reply to Thread