+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New(ish) Tank- Upgrading Gear w/o losing defense

New(ish) Tank- Upgrading Gear w/o losing defense

Hello Everyone,

First off, thanks to the tankspot community for all of the nifty gear and instance guides so far. They've been very helpful for a new tank learning the ropes.

Here's my armory profile (I should be in my prot gear):

The World of Warcraft Armory

My paladin hit 80 a few weeks ago and I've been working on a tanking gear set since (dual spec'ed prot/ret), with the idea that I'll have something I can swap into if my guild needs a tank for something. I've been successful in heroics so far, doing most of the lower rung ones (UK, UP, Nexus, CoS, Drak'Theron, Gundrak) as protection.

My problem is this, I've gotten a few "upgrades" (Bindings of the Dark Will, Waistguard of the Risen Knight, in particular) from some of the heroics, but I can't really swap them out until I find some defense to cover it. My guild is supposed to pick back up running 10 Naxx in a few weeks (summer break) and I'd like to be in a position where I can step in if I need to. Looks like I can get a little defense back with Titanweave on my cloak. Other then that, I'm not sure where to grab anything else. I've got about 50 emblems of heroism banked, so I can dump those into something. Somehow I'm going to have to get my defense up, particularly since a lot of the next tier of stuff seems to have less defense on it than the crafted pieces I have. I'm trying not to sink a ton of cash into enchants on gear that won't last more than a week. Any ideas?

You're in a tough spot. From right now, until you're solidly in Tier7 gear, you will struggle with balancing new items against maintaining a minimum defense of 540. After Tier7 it gets much easier.

Two things will help you:

The Seal of the Pantheon which drops in Normal HoL off of Loken.
    Enchant Chest: Greater Defense a relatively cheap enchant, provides 22 def rating to the chest. Also, don't feel bad about gemming for Def.

So Enchanting your chest would be a good option, as would enchanting the shield with defense. That shield can last you through Naxx25 (and to some extent beyond). You'd also benefit from picking up a titanium earthguard ring. Both will likely by a core part of your gear (or at least swapped in for specific fights) until you are doing Maly/Ulduar.
    If you aren't higher than me in total damage done or total healing done, all comments will be /ignore'd

Thanks for the help. I thought I had a titanium earthguard ring already. Maybe I didn't set it up with my prot set in outfitter yet. I'll check when I get home.

Otherwise, I'll keep running Regular HoL and hope for that trinket off of Loken and take your advice on enchanting the shield with +def. If I need to I'll enchant the chest or cloak with +def, but I'd prefer not to since those suckers are candidates to be replaced at some point (soon) anyway.

Why not just run the Heroic HoL? I found it to be a really easy instance to tank since you can skip a lot of the trash in that final hallway to Loken's room. Someone mentioned that ring but have you considered a Tempered Titansteel Helm?

Link: Tempered Titansteel Helm - Item - World of Warcraft

It would give you extra def as well as stam and only cost you a bit of dodge (which you seem to have a bit of for the moment)

Just a thought!

just 1 minor question y didnt you get the enchantment for the head from Argent cruasade: +37 stamina and +20 in defense? You are exalted with them.
    For your gloves: get the ones from kirin tor, shouldn't take you long to get that one.
    2 dungeons you should be running are heroic Ahnkahet for the bracers and heroic Azjol nerub (fastest dungeon in the game +/-22 minutes) for the essence (+111 stamina).

A final enchant that would be nice is the one from the sons of hodir for the shoulders

Enjoy
    Ryoku

Thanks again everyone. To answer Ryoku's question, I crafted my Tempered Titansteel Helm last night, but didn't have a chance to get the enchant from AC. Still, without that enchant I'm at 540 Defense & up from 24K hp to 25.5K hp. The enchant should mean I can change a couple of the +def gems to +sta or +dodge.

I'm working on Kirin Tor, about halfway to revered. The lack of any dailies for them (outside of the cooking/fishing ones) makes it a bit painful. I guess I should have championed them first. I'm at about the same point on Sons of Hodir.

I've had exceedingly bad luck on heroic AN when I've tried to run it on my hunter. Continual wipes on the second trash pack and neither group I've tried it with has figured out how to deal with the skirmishers that randomly agro the healer and 2 shot them. I've dug around here and found some strategies (I know, tranq shot+burning the skirmishers first, ccing the casters), but I'm not sure that my guild will want to mess with it.

Thanks again for all the advice. It's a big help.

Adam:

That skirmisher can be tough, but if you have a group of DPS that are around 3K it becomes trivial. (i.e., grab half of your guilds 10 man ulduar group)

The other trick is, get a ret paladin. When they're DPS'ing the skirmisher they can see if it switches to the healer and use their stun. By the time it comes out of stun it should be just about dead, they don't have a whole lotta hitpoints.

Rogues, does CS/KS work on these guys? I bet it does.

-A

I just wanted to say, thanks again for getting me started on the right track. My tank is getting much better geared now (Thank you new 5-man and emblem changes ). I happened to log on shortly after raid time on Friday night. Figuring I'd finagle an open spot for my hunter and the first thing in guild chat is "There's your other tank!". Swapped to my pally and proceeded to make it farther in 10 man ToC than we had before (made it to faction champions). I won't say I couldn't have done it without tankspot, but it would have been a heck of a lot more painful.

I thought I'd write a little update to this. Now, it seems like I'm the "off tank of choice" for the most part for my guild's 10 man runs. Lots of fun, whether it's gather whelps, picking up infernal spawns, or whatever.

I'd like any tweaks to my gear that folks can suggest. Particularly with gemming. I'm pretty much just slotting +stamina gems and ignoring set bonuses (although some of them could make up for some of the lost stamina). Any suggestions for good rings / trinkets I should keep my eyes out for?

So far, my survivability seems fairly good for what my guild's been attempting (10 Man ToC regular - full clear, 10 Man Ulduar - made it to Thorim and Hodir, 10 Man Ony). Obviously, I want to make sure it keeps improving so that I'm in good shape come 3.3 and ICC and also for potential hard-mode tries. My threat seems OK although we have a hunter and a lock who can pull off me occasionally (if I don't get a good head start). Glyph-wise, I'm reluctant to give up the Glyph of Hammer of the Righteous, as I'm usually on add duty and a little extra AoE threat is helpful. Am I crazy? I guess I'm just looking for an experienced pair of eyes to go over what I've done and point out where else I should be looking to improve. Apologies if I should have started a new thread and here's another link to my armory so that folks don't need to scroll back to the top:

The World of Warcraft Armory

+ Reply to Thread