+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Questions regarding Blood/Unholy/Frost tanking spe

Questions regarding Blood/Unholy/Frost tanking spe

Okay so I recently stopped raiding on my warlock and decided to take up my tanking DK which also has a DPS set (which I used to acquire tanking gear.)

I have questions about which spec would give me the most thread, while keeping me alive at the same time.

The World of Warcraft Armory

That is my armory, so today I was tanking VoA 25m and we were on Emalon, I was assigned adds, now as I did the body pull I lost control of the adds, my DnD caught 2 adds and the first time I wiped it. The second time we tried this, an add got loose again and attacked the MT and killed him.

I am looking for a spec that is good for AoE tanking, but as well as single-target tanking. To be completely honest I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO TANK ! This DK was originally meant for DPS/PvP now I've taken up tanking and I need advice/critics on my gem, enchant, and gear choice. I also need advice on what I could to do to make my threat higher, what skills, and how I should start out with when encountering adds like the example above.

I also need help on choice of add-ons that are ideal for DK tanks, such as alerts when aggro is lost and what mob, etc, runes, CDs.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

EDIT:
    I just respecced to blood, new gems, and new glyphs now I need some advice on rotations, I know some tanks don't use 'em and if they don't what priorities I need to keep.
    Last edited by Aggromatic; 07-08-2009 at 01:46 AM.

Well if you have "no idea how to tank", VoA probably isn't the best place to start
    Your spec is fine other than Merciless Comabt, that's a dps talent, drop that and put the points into Killing Machine. Your gear is great other than gemming for parry, swap those for dodge+stam. Swap the IBF Glyph for Rune Strike, IBF gives no benefit to tanks since they patched it.

As for the initial pull in VoA, you need to start with a D&D then HB, pop IBF as Emalon will probably hit you once or twice before the MT taunts, and it gives a bit of a buffer while the healers get into position. Drag the adds about 3/4 to the left and just tab-target auto attack, D&D, and BB when you can. You don't actually need to do much AoE to hold them on you, and the idea isn't to kill the adds as once they die a new one will spawn and you have to pick it up. Once Emalon charges one, simply switch to it and go all out, spam everything to gain some threat above the incoming dps. When it gets ~10% health ease off and let your runes recharge, swing the camera so you can see Emalon and get ready to pick up the new add that spawns. ???. PROFIT!

I've found reading around that blood seems to benefit you and healers more since it allows you to buffer up the heals etc, so not sure if it updated, but I just switched specs. I mean I have some idea of how to tank from watching people and I got VoA down in 10m just gotta try and get it right in 25m.

Pick Unholy

You really need to take your time, and look down the unholy tree, your talents are pretty wierd in my mind. I'm self a unholy tank, and i'm tanking naxx 25, ulduar 10/25.
    First tip: do not gem up with parry, because parry give u lesser avoidance, than dodge gems.
    Second tip: Do not stack HP, its better to have +5% avoidance than having 5k more hp, because the 5k hp its not that good, while the +5% avoidance is very nice.

I will make a link to my DK, so u can check it out.
    The World of Warcraft Armory

The Cirk...

My armory should be updated now, that is the spec I am going with along with my parry gems turning into dodge/stam and my glyphs to Rune Strike/Death Strike/Vampiric Blood.

Now with blood tanking, is this a set out rotation for single-target tanking or is based on the fight and what priorities matter ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cirkeline View Post
    Second tip: Do not stack HP, its better to have +5% avoidance than having 5k more hp, because the 5k hp its not that good, while the +5% avoidance is very nice.
    We're on very different pages regarding HP. DK tanking, while avoidance based, benefits more from higher HP than avoidance. Avoidance may help you dodge more hits, but when they do hit you it's better to have a solid health pool to soak it up. We are not paladins, we don't have 100% block rating to diminish incoming damage. In my experience you're better off stacking stam than avoidance, yes you'll take more damage, but at least it's relatively predictable.
    Last edited by vine; 07-08-2009 at 05:26 AM.

As far as a rotation for Blood, I only use it for single target boss fights, and my rotation is:

D&D - IT - HS - PS - HS/DS until your diseases are running low, then refresh with Pest via Glyph of Disease.
    Second rotation is simply HS/DS - RP Dump (DC or RS)

specifcally for emalon: I find that if I tank the adds with a DK, dropping DnD at the stairs as I run in serves as an aggro "net of sorts" I pop howling blast and BB to get add aggro, Mt taunts boss off...If one of the adds is out of range for that, he will most likely wander into the DnD and get picked up....just be ready to dark command if they somehow get around the DnD. (doorway is larger than DnD AoE).

When I add tank Emalon, I just DnD pull. Drop it on them, start my rotation as I move to the corner. MT taunts off. Easy peasy

Now that I changed my spec to blood I can't use howling blast anymore. But I am going to try and tank 25m emalon today.

+ Reply to Thread