+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Threat Is Dumb

Threat Is Dumb

Quote Originally Posted by 3.2 PTR
    [blizzard]Shield Block: Shield Slam no longer benefits from the increased block value granted by this ability. However, while Shield Block is active, Shield Slam generates 100% additional threat.[/blizzard]
    They're changing this for PVP. That's fine. What's not fine is adding the damage back as Threat; balancing around innate Threat is already causing severe DPS shortcomings. This change suggests there is no serious consideration being given to improving Protection DPS for 3.2.
    Last edited by Lore; 07-07-2009 at 04:25 PM.

Do you not think the increased rage gen, and the increased damage from devastate will help?

and my hopes of a better tomorrow have been smashed.
    |Kaad|Warrior|Protection|The Milk Drinkers|Runetotem|US|

Didn't they already bring down ALL of our abilities innate threat in 3.0 to try to prevent poor dps scaling in the past? this looks like a huge step BACKWARDS from what they did when wotlk came out. /agreed

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

...That's TERRIBLE.

Tankspot Moderator
    Twitter: Follow me on Twitter! @Krenian

"Damnit!" - Jack Bauer, 24

Quote Originally Posted by Lizana View Post
    Do you not think the increased rage gen, and the increased damage from devastate will help?
    I don't think they will have a serious impact in terms of bringing us in line with other tank classes, no. More importantly, I don't think Blizzard is going to get us to that point if they're adding -- not removing -- more innate Threat to abilities.

How does increased rage gen help. In our best rage scenarios, we STILL don't keep toe to toe or even CLOSE to any of the other 3 tanks in terms of dps while tanking.

The increased damage from devastate will help cover this a little sure, but don't we already try to work devastate out of our rotation for the sake of other abilities? If we pop a sword and board proc, don't we already forsake devastate for shield slam? Devastate is the default skill that we push off if we have something more important to use whether it be an snb proc, revenge comes off cd, tclap, demo shout, or shockwave/conc blow. Buffing devastate damage will help us no doubt, but not as much as this, especially since MOST fights, hinge around the very beginning of threat when dps wants to open up, and if you don't have big shield slams, you're hindering raid dps by making them wait. There's no more "wait for 5 sunders then dps" when fights are tuned to be met by enrage timers <20 seconds.

5% more damage on devastate on our 2pc bonus is still worse than our 2pc 10% more shield slam damage. I'd probably bet money on that.

Im kind of cloudy on the exact details.
    "now also increases the threat generated by Shield Slam by 100%. Does not increase Shield Slam damage."
    Is this in addition to the existing SB, or is it added on top of it? No more 100% BR + 100% BV ?

If all SB does now is increase single target threat, I would consider that quite a big nerf to it, PVE wise. I used to love popping SB in all melee aoe packs, the AoE threat is nutso with 100% blocks on all attacks + a shit ton of BV, making dmg shield proc huge.

Or does this change mean, 100% chance to block + 100% threat?

I'm reading it as 100% chance to block + 100% shield block threat, not any of your other abilities.

so popping shield block is diminished further in it's usefulness. even our lackluster damage shield is affected.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    Didn't they already bring down ALL of our abilities innate threat in 3.0 to try to prevent poor dps scaling in the past? this looks like a huge step BACKWARDS from what they did when wotlk came out. /agreed
    That is almost exactly what I thought when seeing that. =[

How does increased rage gen help.
    More rage = more likely to be able to have 90%+ HS uptime

I'm reading it as 100% chance to block + 100% shield block threat, not any of your other abilities.

so popping shield block is diminished further in it's usefulness. even our lackluster damage shield is affected.
    So they removed the 100% BV increase from SB?

More rage = more likely to be able to have 90%+ HS uptime
    gawd can we get away from the quicker and longer you can spam you HS key the better dps you will do
    Your ad could be here.

New shield block description.
    I don't get it... How can it increase sbv, but not increase shield slam damage? Shield slam damage is directly linked to shield block value. Isn't it? Or is the tooltip wrong?

Anyway it will be an end to my prot pvp career, when SBV gear + shield block + sbv trinkets + recklesness + shield slam combo could do nice damage
    My armory.
    Tank you!

on a lot of bosses, i have 100% uptime already, shit lets go to ole reliable patchwerk shall we? He has 100% uptime, remember? Xav's video? near perfection? big ass tps!? did anyone look at the DPS numbers he was putting out compared to the other class types? Even with the rage fix, our overall dps numbers are STILL not comparable to other classes, and this baked in initial threat shit is a backwards move and Blizz knows it.

No you see the Devastate change will fix it, lol

I think this is odd in a sense.. Since Shield Block already doubles your block value it is in a sense doubling your threat and increasing Shield Slam damage for the 10 seconds it is up. So it seems like this is a negative change for us. I do not believe it will still be doubling our block value but instead just doubling the threat.

I think this is to do away with the 8-10k shield slams in pvp.
    True Bonding Occurs when you wipe your raid and then your raid wipes you in return - Tarigar

I honestly think the title should be PvP is dumb in a PvE environment... They reduce abilities for all classes because "it's too op in pvp".
    True Bonding Occurs when you wipe your raid and then your raid wipes you in return - Tarigar

Quote Originally Posted by Contego View Post
    New shield block description.
    I don't get it... How can it increase sbv, but not increase shield slam damage? Shield slam damage is directly linked to shield block value. Isn't it? Or is the tooltip wrong?
    I guess Shield Slam just won't pick up the doubled amount and use half your SBV while Shield Block is active.

At risk of sounding like the official forums...whoever at Blizzard that is designing warriors is being plain stupid. This is 180 degrees opposite of solving anything that is wrong with warriors. Just when Prot was becoming sort of a little viable for PvP, this happens. Better yet, it was starting to seem like Blizzard was finally paying attention to warrior gripes about not having enough rage, they completely ignore an even greater concern to many, and nerf our damage in favor of Innate threat.

Thank goodness I left my warrior by the side and rolled paladin... looks like he'll be collecting dust for awhile.
    Tanks: We like it rough.

+ Reply to Thread