+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I need threat advice, and then some.

I need threat advice, and then some.

I believe it was once said in a movie, "The first time someone calls you a horse you punch him on the nose, the second time someone calls you a horse you call him a jerk but the third time someone calls you a horse, well then perhaps it's time to go shopping for a saddle."

No, no one has called me a horse, but I've been told for the second time, in my DK tanking career that my threat sucks. I really don't want to be told a third time, so I need help.

I'm only running an average of 3k threat per second according to omen. But I can spike to about 6k after an obliterate / rune strike combination. This seems to be working for after the fight is rolling, getting initial threat seems to be where I'm falling short.

Most of this guild is rocking third best in slot items or better, I know I'm definitely not. I am honestly not sure if that's something I need to take into account or not.

I've also been told I should be gemming strictly for stam and enchanting strictly for stamina. I'm afraid if I trade out hit/parry gems, that my threat will drop.

I want to give these guys a better tank than what I seem to be doing at the moment. Anything you can offer, please...
    The World of Warcraft Armory

I still have all of t7.5 in my bags, along with Heritage.

So, I checked out your armoury... on the basis of that and what you write here, I am guessing you're making some pretty fundamental mistakes in your rotation; your choice of gems also leaves a little to be desired, and 2/3 glyphs are sub-optimal. Your spec looks solid, with the exception of taking 3/3 morbidity over 3/3 improved icy touch; this can only be justified if you have another tank class (with a fully talented attack speed slow) constantly hitting the same thing as you... I doubt this is the case. However, this is of course a mitigation rather than threat quibble, so somewhat off at a tangent relative to the substance of your post.

Your post and glyphs suggest to me you're relying on obliterate and death and decay for threat. This is definitely suboptimal as blood; obliterate won't hit all that hard, and will also consume diseases (a huge no-no). Death and decay is a rune hog and inefficient for single target tanking.

In place of obliterate you should be using death strike - same rune cost, but it won't consume the diseases, and you'll also get the heal (and threat for it). Switch the oblit glyph for the death strike one for maximum effect; you'll tend to have a lot of rp as blood as there isn't much space in your rotation for rp dumps, so this adds a good chunk of damage to an already big hit.

Your rotation should look like this (first line is the first set of runes, second line is the second when you have death runes available):

IT PS DS HS HS
    DS HS HS HS HS

Since rp will rarely be an issue in blood spec, it's pretty safe to macro rune strike into all of these abilities.

The other option is to use the glyph of disease as your third glyph, in which case you can refresh diseases with a single blood rune instead of a frost and an unholy - this means swapping a heart strike for a death strike on all but the first run-through of the first line (unless diseases fall off because you had to leave melee range for some reason).

As a final note: stop gemming for parry. Your initial post suggested you thought this was a threat stat... it's not, except for the tiny benefit of a slight hastening of your melee swing (I think Satorri posted something about this on the theorycrafting board recently). Your red slots, assuming you want to make the socket bonus, should be filled with expertise/stamina gems for threat (expertise is close to twice as good threat wise as hit for blood specs until you're at 26 expertise, at which point it's pretty much equal, but with the added bonus that you're reducing boss parries and thus the frequency of parryhasted attacks). Don't gem for strength. If you want avoidance, gem dodge/stam; agi/stam is also pretty attractive because of the amour and (melee) crit provided, but is slightly inferior to straight dodge for avoidance.

Ok, that adds to my single target threat. I believe people are expecting me to have snap aggro at the very start of of trash or boss encounters. I am with people that don't quite have patience. They are used to the snap aggro of a paladin.

I've been told to play like a champion, but I'm at a complete loss as to what to do.
    I have ADD and Magic Markers... oh the THRILLS I will have!

You won't have the snap aggro of a paladin or a warrior, that's for sure. You have to set up diseases to get to the heart of your rotation. DK's weakness is roughly the first 15 or so seconds, but beyond that our threat is fine and stabilizes.

I use a Blood spec to tank Hard mode Vezax, and the spec and glyphs are more like this: http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deat...0&version=9767

I don't do heart strike spam - use all your F/U runes for death strikes when not refreshing diseases, as they can hit pretty hard with the glyph (and, I think, harder than 2 HS). This also opens up more GCD's to death coil. I've always used Glyph of Rune Strike, especially since it works well with the 2pc T8 bonus.

Also, when first pulling a boss, use your first 6 runes and then use an empower rune weapon for better initial aggro. Something like IT-PS-HS-HS-DS-ERW, DS-DS-HS-HS, then dump your RP.

As far as AoE, well... good luck with that. That's not really Blood's strong point. Use more blood boils, as they typically hit pretty hard as blood on diseased targets, but there's not too much else I can offer there. More than 2 targets blood doesn't fare as well as Frost or Unholy.
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. -Seneca
    Everyone marvels at a square egg, but only the chicken understands the PAIN.

If you are smart about it, you do have snap aggro. You just have to think ahead. My dps can jump on my target immedietely and I don't lose it.

Single target is lead with your attack. Don't body pull, hit with IT or HB or whatever you use, then do your rotation. With the RS macroed in you shouldn't have aggro issues for the most part. If your dps can't wait half a second, they fail.

Multiple target is lead with DnD(for me). Put it at the edge of the pack and they have to walk through it to get to you. If you also death grip a primary target, you are spreading diseases as they come into range. Pop a couple blood boils(refreshed blood + blood tap) and continue your rotation.

Thank you. I'm having a better go of it now for multiple mobs, so long as the dps does give me a chance to pick it up.
    I have ADD and Magic Markers... oh the THRILLS I will have!

+ Reply to Thread