+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best Enchant For 1H Weapon

Best Enchant For 1H Weapon

I've been trying to find the best 1H weapon enchant for my Proc Warrior. Threat really isn't a problem for me unless there's really high DPS in my group.

I have Mongoose on my Red Sword of Courage at the moment for the extra Dodge.

My stats are:

HP 30.9K
    Armor 23.3K
    Hit 5.8%
    Exp 3.25%
    Def 541
    Dodge 20.7%
    Parry 16%
    Block 21.6%

What would be the best enchant for me?

Cheers

Firstly it depends on how much gold you have . Personnaly i wouldnt enchant red sword with a ulduar recipe .
    Since your hit is quite low go for 25hit 25crit is my opinion or stick to mongoose.

I had last laugh , sticked to 25crit 25hit till i changed for blade ward ( yeah i prefer that one ) but i'm high on hit ( 8.6% )

For MT progression tanking, Blood Draining. Otherwise, Accuracy or mongoose.

For Red Sword, I think you can happily stick with what you have. Consider Accuracy or Blood Draining when you get a Naxx weapon.
    Fayre - Soldiers of Azeroth, Aggramar(EU)
    http://www.soldiersofazeroth.net/
    We are recruiting! See here for more details.

For MT progression tanking, Mongoose.
    For anything else, it's really almost a wash.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizana View Post
    For MT progression tanking, Blood Draining. Otherwise, Accuracy or mongoose.
    Blood Draining is a very, very bad enchant.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgewalker View Post
    Please try to explain how you think its a bad enchant for MT progression tanking, going against everything every top end tank on tankspot is using on their progression weapons. Please explain your thought process.

Quote Originally Posted by Deevious View Post
    I've been trying to find the best 1H weapon enchant for my Proc Warrior. Threat really isn't a problem for me unless there's really high DPS in my group.

I have Mongoose on my Red Sword of Courage at the moment for the extra Dodge.

My stats are:

HP 30.9K
    Armor 23.3K
    Hit 5.8%
    Exp 3.25%
    Def 541
    Dodge 20.7%
    Parry 16%
    Block 21.6%

What would be the best enchant for me?

Cheers
    As you noticed, there is an ongoing discussion as to what enchants are good and bad.

For the red sword of courage, I'd go for a titanium weapon chain. While the disarm reduction isn't usefull, the hit rating is very good.
    Not because it's a threat stat (though it is,) but because it allows you to rely more on your attacks connecting. There are a few bosses out there that will have an aggro reset, and on those you want your attack to hit. Period.
    Same when pulling. If that first (or those first) attacks miss, you could have an annoying issue, so hit is a good thing to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgewalker View Post
    It'd help if you gave some reasoning behind this one

I must say I was hesitant to use the enchant because notoriously enchants that heal especially ones that just heal are bad. However, that's not the case with Blood Draining. The proc rate is so high that against even the hardest hitting bosses in Ulduar, you'll find yourself hitting 5 stacks of the buff frequently. It's like having 2000 extra health.

I suggest you give the enchant another try before you dismiss it.

Quote Originally Posted by veneretio View Post
    It'd help if you gave some reasoning behind this one

I must say I was hesitant to use the enchant because notoriously enchants that heal especially ones that just heal are bad. However, that's not the case with Blood Draining. The proc rate is so high that against even the hardest hitting bosses in Ulduar, you'll find yourself hitting 5 stacks of the buff frequently. It's like having 2000 extra health.

I suggest you give the enchant another try before you dismiss it.
    I did test out Blood Draining and the buffer it provided was very minimal if anything in an overall perspective of things. Earthshield provides more usefulness in comparison. My average heal from blood draining was ~900-1000 health.

I loved mongoose in BC but what it provided me in wotlk has been dissappointing. Bladewarding I wouldn't classify as the *ideal* enchant but I would take it over mongoose.

Accuracy is what I am now using. I would go for this or the titanium weapon chain(just because it is free).
    True Bonding Occurs when you wipe your raid and then your raid wipes you in return - Tarigar

Quote Originally Posted by Tarigar View Post
    I did test out Blood Draining and the buffer it provided was very minimal if anything in an overall perspective of things. Earthshield provides more usefulness in comparison. My average heal from blood draining was ~900-1000 health.
    It doesn't really make a lot of sense to compare it to Earthshield, does it? If we could enchant our weapons with perma-Earthshield, we probably would, but that's not what's on the table.

The way I see it, we've got 3 choices these days:

Effective Health-ish: Blood Draining
    Avoidance: Mongoose (or Blade Warding, but testing doesn't seem to favour this)
    Threat: Accuracy or if you're low on funds, a weapon chain.

Quote Originally Posted by veneretio View Post
    It doesn't really make a lot of sense to compare it to Earthshield, does it? If we could enchant our weapons with perma-Earthshield, we probably would, but that's not what's on the table.
    One of my healers did because he was asking how it was working for me.
    True Bonding Occurs when you wipe your raid and then your raid wipes you in return - Tarigar

Comparing earthshield to an enchant is a bit silly, it's like comparing agility to psychic scream or anything else inane. One is an enchant, the other is a spell, and you can have both if you abduct a resto shaman for your raid. You cannot have 2 enchants on the same weapon, and you need to pick between the two.

I would have preferred something based on raw stats in ulduar, increasing agi (mongoose and/or static Agi), Strength (Potency, etc.), stam to weapons they were promising many moons ago, etc. instead of procs, so I prefer those.

However, since I am still plugging away with a Red Sword of courage myself and I have many alts to support, I tossed a weapon chain on it. If I was going to invest, I would have gone accuracy. Yes, having and avoidance/EH enchant would be good for progression, but in many fights you still need to keep up threat, so I would swap out threat stats from elsewhere and pile it on here, and put EH/avoidance where it was removed. Ulduar progression is where you truly need to squeeze out all the avoidance, and you should be more focused on getting Last Laugh before choosing an enchant.

One of my healers did because he was asking how it was working for me.
    Doesn't matter who you were telling it to. It still makes absolutely zero sense in the context of this thread to compare an ENCHANT to an ABILITY. What we want to do in this thread is compare an ENCHANT with an ENCHANT otherwise, we're wasting our time.

Anyway, as to the OP, Mongoose is a perfectly acceptable enchant. It offers a nice balance of threat, avoidance and mitigation through crit/haste, dodge and armor. Personally, I like Blood Draining more because it simulates me having additional health against bosses that actually hit hard (when an enchant really matters) which is why I consider it a viable alternative. Ultimately, I'd suggest you try Blood Draining out now so that when you get a new weapon, you've already figured out which of the enchants you prefer.

Ok maybe my comparison was off but mongoose viability is thrown into a greater perspective than it really is. The dmg mitigation from 240 armor at our ar level is .22% on a boss like General Vezax who swings for 28k is 64 damage.

The Haste increase is 2% from what I have seen and 2% on a 1.5 speed weapon decreases it to 1.47. So the threat gain is minor unless you consider the crit.

So the avoidance gain when fully raid buffed is ~ 1.00% on proc which is up 40% of the time so you have to consider it being a .40% avoidance gain over a period of a boss fight.

I agree with Insahnity and say go with a static number. The procs on all 3 enchants are kinda weak.

So the avoidance gain when fully raid buffed is ~ 1.00% on proc which is up 40% of the time so you have to consider it being a .40% avoidance gain over a period of a boss fight.
    Testing of mongoose has show it to be closer to 55%-60% uptime.

What about Blade Ward. The logs I've seen show it to have an average of 0.9% increase in avoidance overall for warrior tanks.

I think the overall survival benefit of the weapon enchants is fairly lousy and simply won't be game breaking. It might be that you should get a coin and flip for Blood Draining vs. Blade Ward for survival or just get the threat enchant Accuracy.

I've always used the weapon chain for the extra hit and because I'm cheap (it is like 15g on my server, enchanting mats are out of this world...dust is like 5g per).

Some of the differences between the expensive enchants seem like "splitting hairs" and I can't justify spending the gold on an enchant that was marginally better in some situations than others when I could spend that money on a better enchant somewhere else -- but I like to raid on the cheap.

Besides, when it comes down to it...I'd rather have a steady +28 to hit and -50% to disarm time than any proc based ability.
    Former healbot now a Disgruntled protection warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by protonly View Post
    Besides, when it comes down to it...I'd rather have a steady +28 to hit and -50% to disarm time than any proc based ability.
    Whens the last time a raid boss disarmed you? Last time i remember getting disarmed when tanking was in Stockades at level 24... Also the more ulduar gear you get, the more likely you are to be hit capped

You must not have tanked Kara!
    "We actually talked today about adding an item level 300 shirt that did absolutely nothing but mess with mods that attempt to boil down players to gear scores. " -Ghostcrawler

+ Reply to Thread